Vehicle reset script

BlastaMasta

Question

After playing yesterday some knob left his UAV parked on the repair pad and reslotted/logged off. Due to not being able to repair/refuel my jet, and ASL eagerly awaiting CAS, I had an idea: wouldn't it be possible to make a script that resets all (air) vehicles to their original positions? I have noticed that misparked jets are a bit of an issue, sometimes they're parked in such a way that they block access to the runway or the repair pad.. Now i personally know from experience that parking a jet back in front of its original hangar can be a bit tricky. And from my research regarding mods that would add towing vehicles tothe game I've found that none of these mods are remotly stable enough for me to even make a mod request on the forums.

That is why i came up with the idea of a cleanup script. This could give a certain group, say Vortex, the ability to reset all air vehicles' positions at base. The armament, damage, fuel and respawn (if a vehicle was destroyed) should remain untouched.

The need for a zeus to move misparked vehicles would be eliminated and Vortex could save valuable time that is now spent on reparking/retrieving scattered jets and helos, which in turn would make Command very happy.

Any input on this?

12 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, Chutnut said:

I do clean up base every now and then, To my knowledge there is an auto cleanup script which works on empty objects when no client is 500m or less away from it.

Yep, i know about that. But does that also clean the vehicles? I always assumed that it just removed dropped objects from around the arsenal..

But since you're talking about the base the current script isn't going to do anything since there will always be players close.

Something you can do in that situation is grab a hunter and carefully nudge the greyhawk off the pad.

I don't think adding the script you mentioned is necessary and might end up being misused by trolls (they are very creative)

14 minutes ago, Jason. said:

But since you're talking about the base the current script isn't going to do anything since there will always be players close.

Something you can do in that situation is grab a hunter and carefully nudge the greyhawk off the pad.

I don't think adding the script you mentioned is necessary and might end up being misused by trolls (they are very creative)

The thing about nudging planes and helicopers is that in nine out of ten cases either you, the helo or both blow up. And if you don't blow up, the nudge won't be very far and you'll still waste precious time that would be better spent brrrrrrrting enemies with that sweet 30mil..

29 minutes ago, BlastaMasta said:

The thing about nudging planes and helicopers is that in nine out of ten cases either you, the helo or both blow up. And if you don't blow up, the nudge won't be very far and you'll still waste precious time that would be better spent brrrrrrrting enemies with that sweet 30mil..

I recommended doing it because I've done it many times myself without any issues, you just have to do it slowly. It shouldn't take long to get in a hunter and nudge it a couple of meters, maybe 30 secs - 1 min.

The main issue I see with your script atm is that it's a lazy way of bringing damaged/out of fuel vehicles back to base for repairs, which is something I don't think the admins would be in favour of.

However if it could be limited to only being used on the vehicles in or very near to base, then I suppose it could be useful. For this I think it could be made automatic like the other clean-up script, but instead of being disabled based on players being near, it could be based on if a player has interacted it within the last 5 mins etc.

37 minutes ago, Jason. said:

However if it could be limited to only being used on the vehicles in or very near to base, then I suppose it could be useful. For this I think it could be made automatic like the other clean-up script, but instead of being disabled based on players being near, it could be based on if a player has interacted it within the last 5 mins etc.

Yeah, thats what I intended. The script would work for vehicles at base only and would only affect their position, placing them back at their respective spawns. Damage status, fuel and armament would in no way be affected.

Players could use the script to put back vehicles after rearming/repairing/refuelling them, for example.

Although in this specific case you could have just used the cTab tablet to move the UAV. Its also easy enough to park a jet somewhere where it can be used again without it having to be in a hangar, runways and taxiways nearly always form some kind of circuit that it can be parked on and moved as required.