Disable grass on I&A servers to improve FPS

Radeni

Question

5 answers to this question

I am of the opinion that the immersion suffers a great deal without grass. It is of course completely up to you but if it gets to the point where it looks terrible visually but has great frames are you really winning? Eyecandy vs performance, the search continues!

Should point out that it's not up to him, as AFAIK the map doesn't currently allow grass fully off.

While I agree with you on immersion Zis, since I&A is not a PvP scenario, I'd personally welcome the ability to turn it off, as long as it remains optional.

Edit: Thought, wasn't this an option in earlier versions already? A year ago or so?

There is a problem with that though and that is if you lower (or disable) grass, the ground also changes it form. If you look at enemies on a hill will low settings it will appear as they are floating in mid-air. But I guess that it wouldnt hurt to have the option in.

View distance and (especially) Draw/Object distance have a much greater impact on FPS, so disabling grass would maybe gain you 5 FPS, but it makes the game look "ugly".

If you get poor FPS, play with Draw distance (found in Arma settings) a bit and find a perfect setting. On foot or in the air, around 1500 is enough, for a APC or tank around 3000 should be fine.