Modded Repo small but useful improvement

Shoppy

Question

Hi there

I haven't been playing on Ahoyworld for long but I really enjoy the modded/more serious scene you guys have. Thanks for the warm welcome I receive when I am on your servers.

I've noticed that when you update your mods on the repo you also change the version number (e.g. @ACE3_3.3.2). While I understand it's useful to know the version number, it also makes the repo download the entire of Ace again to a new folder instead of just adding/replacing the files it needs to the existing folder. 

To change this to a generic folder, such as "@Ace3_Ahoy", it would not only save space and bandwidth for users but also bandwidth for the host. I know it's usually quite small at 80-90 MB but as there are many users this adds up.

It's only a small thing, but I figure it might be worth looking into. 

Thanks again for having me in your community.

Chubbs

post-4314-0-57894900-1443103304.png

2 answers to this question

Hi there

I haven't been playing on Ahoyworld for long but I really enjoy the modded/more serious scene you guys have. Thanks for the warm welcome I receive when I am on your servers.

I've noticed that when you update your mods on the repo you also change the version number (e.g. @ACE3_3.3.2). While I understand it's useful to know the version number, it also makes the repo download the entire of Ace again to a new folder instead of just adding/replacing the files it needs to the existing folder. 

To change this to a generic folder, such as "@Ace3_Ahoy", it would not only save space and bandwidth for users but also bandwidth for the host. I know it's usually quite small at 80-90 MB but as there are many users this adds up.

It's only a small thing, but I figure it might be worth looking into. 

Thanks again for having me in your community.

Chubbs

Ace pic.PNG

We have to change the folder name with ACE because it includes a .dll file that the repo refuses to change if the mod changes it.

So the only way we can work around the users actually getting the updated .dll file is by renaming the folder. Otherwise users would have to manually update the .dll file themselves every update. :)

A tip:

When you see the Repo update, connect to it and press the button to check the mods. After that completes, find your mod location folder, rename it so it matches the one Repo is looking for. Recheck the addons (use the same button as in step 1) and then download/sync with the Repo. That should prevent you redownloading the mod again under/in a different folder.