Help me test a PVP mission.

Hi, Im interested to see how the mods perform in a pvp setting, so I whipped together a quick game variant and need at-least 3 others to help me test it. If your interested in helping im available this evening and again on Sunday so I'd love any and all help I can get :P

*side note, You need to be patient, there are certain things I need to test and the map wont really work as a fun game with such small numbers.

Thanks,

Lone

So about 8-9 of us were on tonight testing Lone's mission.  It was an interesting concept: PvP, with American BLUFOR vs Russian OPFOR (or were we Taki? I couldn't tell).  There were also Taki AI roaming the map.  Both sides had a player as Hostage: the goal was to rescue your own side's Hostage from the other side, while safeguarding your own hostage.  No arsenal, so you started with a pre-set loadout but there were a good selection of kits available.

My thoughts:

1) It was very boring to play as the hostage, as you usually got cuffed and placed in a box.  I'd leave this as an AI.  I get that it could be more interesting if you got rescued, but the likelihood of that happening would be IMHO quite low.

2) I'd try and get a delay on the respawn (glad that it eventually worked!) as it was really jarring to be playing and then suddenly spawn back at base.  "Oh. I guess I died."

3) Personally I'd try and shape the mission more along the lines of the VIP game mode from Insurgency: one side has a VIP they have to get to the other side of the map, and the other side has to prevent this by killing the VIP.  I think instead of a VIP, a hostage, would work, but again it would only be fun if the hostage was the AI.  So in this case the opposing side has to capture the hostage and get him to their safehouse.

The advantage of setting it up in this way is that it would encourage the players to move - right now there is no incentive other than sitting in your own base defending your hostage.

4) There were a few issues with TFAR, but I'm guessing it was because we didn't have our own dedicated room.

5) I would actually scrap the vehicles, or make it that vehicles are all controlled by the Taki AI and have to be taken by force.  I think the helicopter is a bad idea all around. :)

6) I'm divided on having the hostage be visible to the team - the idea is there is a GPS tracker on the hostage that lets you see where he is on your map - I like and dislike things about that.  I'd have to play it more to figure out if it works.

-R

So about 8-9 of us were on tonight testing Lone's mission.  It was an interesting concept: PvP, with American BLUFOR vs Russian OPFOR (or were we Taki? I couldn't tell).  There were also Taki AI roaming the map.  Both sides had a player as Hostage: the goal was to rescue your own side's Hostage from the other side, while safeguarding your own hostage.  No arsenal, so you started with a pre-set loadout but there were a good selection of kits available.

My thoughts:

1) It was very boring to play as the hostage, as you usually got cuffed and placed in a box.  I'd leave this as an AI.  I get that it could be more interesting if you got rescued, but the likelihood of that happening would be IMHO quite low.

2) I'd try and get a delay on the respawn (glad that it eventually worked!) as it was really jarring to be playing and then suddenly spawn back at base.  "Oh. I guess I died."

3) Personally I'd try and shape the mission more along the lines of the VIP game mode from Insurgency: one side has a VIP they have to get to the other side of the map, and the other side has to prevent this by killing the VIP.  I think instead of a VIP, a hostage, would work, but again it would only be fun if the hostage was the AI.  So in this case the opposing side has to capture the hostage and get him to their safehouse.

The advantage of setting it up in this way is that it would encourage the players to move - right now there is no incentive other than sitting in your own base defending your hostage.

4) There were a few issues with TFAR, but I'm guessing it was because we didn't have our own dedicated room.

5) I would actually scrap the vehicles, or make it that vehicles are all controlled by the Taki AI and have to be taken by force.  I think the helicopter is a bad idea all around. :)

6) I'm divided on having the hostage be visible to the team - the idea is there is a GPS tracker on the hostage that lets you see where he is on your map - I like and dislike things about that.  I'd have to play it more to figure out if it works.

-R

All accept #3 I agree with, the reason it takes some time to get off the ground is because its Arma, the game is designed to last a fair amount of time whereas each round of insurgency I played lasted 5 mins tops.

I'll experiment with AI but they tend to run away (at a jog) from hostile forces so it could be a minigame in itself to catch your hostage.

At the moment I cant work on it because jochem sent me back a pbo and I cant get the unpacker to work so I'll get in contact with him for some more help.

Thanks for the feedback :D

There is some people like myself that wouldn't mind being a hostage even if they get left in a box  ^_^.

****Update****

Currently the hostage is now AI, this means that when approached by enemies they will run away (if un-cuffed) but for any movement even by the team they belong to they must remain cuffed.

The little-birds have been removed, as the map is too small for them to work. 

The re-spawn ticket system now works (however I'm having issues getting the units to re-spawn with their correct gear).

Things I need to do are fix the re-spawns (more), stress test the map and test balance (this is as the Russians have less developed gear).

If people are available tomorrow for a test I'll probably be troubleshooting most of the day.

Thanks for your attention,

Lone.

@Lone -

"All accept #3 I agree with, the reason it takes some time to get off the ground is because its Arma, the game is designed to last a fair amount of time whereas each round of insurgency I played lasted 5 mins tops."

Well that did sound like I was suggesting you re-create the VIP game mode.  I won't suggest that.  What I would repeat though is that there is no incentive in the current incarnation for either team to leave their base.  If one side did not have the hostage then they would have a clearly offensive objective.  To match that, the defenders would need an objective or else there's no incentive for them to leave their base.  Thus the movement objective.

Setting it up this way would also make it tenable for a smaller number of players.  Right now you'd need to have some players on defense and others on offense, on both teams.

It's your mission, and I'll be happy to play it when it's around.  Those are just my two cents' worth.

-R

;-; .. Oh well idm.
Setting it up this way would also make it tenable for a smaller number of players.  Right now you'd need to have some players on defense and others on offense, on both teams.

I do have both versions saved because both have their merits. As for the tenable for smaller numbers of players, THIS map is my attempt at a PVP game-night (so 30+ players hopefully), I could easily port the existing mission onto another map, or even delete one of the hostages and set one team another objective. For now I'm working on the (up to) 24 vs 24 mission that IS currently in fruition. Later I could change, port and adjust the mission to suit other numbers :P

***** Update 2 *****

RE-SPAWNS ARE FIXED (slight bug where if everyone on one team dies at he same time the missions ends but that will never happen right? RIIIIIGHT?)

Need testers to help, I'm thinking today (2 hours from now if poss if not name a time) need between 6 and 16 (I know I wont get 16) players to crash test the map, asses balance and provide feedback :D reply here to sign up!

***** Update 3 ******

Using your feedback, and now that my coding is pretty bug free, I have ported the game-type to 3 new maps, these are Utes, Panthera and CLAfgan.

The main change is that re-spawns are now no-longer with the VIP, but rather a suitable distance away to minimise spawn camping.

Obviously I'd love to test all the maps tonight but that aint gonna happen. so later today We'll see who we have and what map they want :D

*****Update 4*****

There have been a few big changes, Primarily Blufor is no longer the second playable faction, this has been changed to Independent (Takistanis) in order to better balance the weapon usage.

This means that the ambient AI are now American, Making them harder to kill but giving a better reward for doing so.

I have also implemented an American stronghold, This has an enormous number of AI present but also a huge and OP weapon cache in the middle. (this needs to be tested for balance reasons)

Finally I have also placed a un-gunned technical at each base to give commanding element more of an opportunity to manoeuvre at the start of the game.

I would love to test this today and will be in my little "help me test map" channel so come down whenever and if we have enough people we'll test.