Defend Altis

Landis

Question

Why do we always conquer Altis? Would't it be nice to defend it once or twice? I think a defending scenerio could be a nice idea:

Not knowing where the enemy is coming from, with limited equipment and players spread over the island. Erning new equipment, vehicles  only by holding towns and locations for defined time. Reccon would become very important. Today we know very well what we are facing at in the AO and we always know where the AO is...

I know that this would be a lot of work, but maybe worth to think about, to change gameplay by 180 degrees.

4 answers to this question

The defend the police force side mission is a good example of what happens with defense scenarios. More often than not the AI get stuck on a corner, fence, bush or other object. I would not say it's a good idea as a scripted mission, it is doable as a Zeus missions though, because then the Zeuses are there to micro manage the AI.

Whilst I do agree on the fact that currently I&A can be repetitive, making it a defense oriented mission would be a complete 180 from the current mission. This would not only require a lot of the code being reworked, tested and fixed (which already is a very time intensive thing, ask anyone working on I&A 4) but flipping it would also do the name not any props. It is Invade and Annex, not camping simulator 2019 (although that is the preferred way of clearing AO's).

The limited gear aspect also requires a lot of balancing, someone could very easily horde a lot of equipment and than destroy it or die far far away with it.

You idea would be better for either a stand alone mission or a game night, it isn't bad, it simply lacks any polish

The problem with defend missions is that Arma's AI are pretty poor at navigating an attack.  Besides, there's no sense of progression on a defend mission, you just sit there until there are no more enemies.

Agree with Aegis that it could be a good zeus mission or game night

Got this! I wasn't aware that the AI is such a problem..

- Gamer night sounds fine for such a mission

- Is Zeus availabe on I&A? So if, it could be fun to do it on normal game night. Those player's who are particpating and listening to the command chat can react, Zeus can control and adapt the counter attack.

More fun would be on a special game night with active TFAR...

I am not very experinced in mission building, but a Zeus mission does't need any advanced sqf skills, does it ?? It is only placing items, equipment, a little envirement may be some triggers and mission-targets, right?? Rest could be managed via Zeus interface??