CAS Guide requested

Matteo

Hello AW Community!

Now i myself enjoy flying around in the editor in the Wipeout and make gun runs on self built bases etc. But it's just sandbox Arma and boring after 15min of playing. 

I would really enjoy flying in multiplayer and actually support live ground troups which i imagine is way more fun than singleplayer of course.

But theres one little problem. I don't have a single clue on how to do CAS on EU#1.

I don't know how to:

1. be a CAS pilot
  2. where to find CAS jets
  3. how to fly them in multiplayer

What i would really enjoy is for example a guide on "[How to] CAS" written by someone who actually knows what he's doing.

Since Arma 3 explains almost nothing players can only rely on other player. I know that some guys are flying the Wipeout or fighter jets almost everytime i'm on the server and i would like to be part of it. Maybe take lessons to not be useless when i'm trying to fly.

There are already useful guides for UAV's and Tanks, so please make one for jets :)

Another thing i don't understand are some of the roles you can pick like:

• JTAC
  • FSG roles

Would be great if someone explains those for me ?

17 minutes ago, Matteo said:

I don't know how to:

1. be a CAS pilot
  2. where to find CAS jets
  3. how to fly them in multiplayer

1: take a pilot slot in the lobby, get in a CAS jet.  Just remember that the primary role of pilots is to provide logistical support to the infantry.  So if you're the only pilot on, fly people around.

2: CAS jets spawn as side mission rewards (do not respawn) and at FOB last stand (1+ hour respawn time).  CAS helicopters spawn as side mission rewards(don't respawn) and at FOBs guardian, last stand and marathon (between 30min and 1 hour respawn time, can't remember exactly).
3: The same way as in singleplayer :)

One thing that is different from single player tho is that on EU1&2 if you're operating a support asset (like a CAS jet or heli) you need to be called in by infantry before you're allowed to start engaging.  This generally doesn't apply to hostile air assets, nobody minds you taking those out :)

17 minutes ago, Matteo said:

What i would really enjoy is for example a guide on "[How to] CAS" written by someone who actually knows what he's doing.

That would indeed be useful.  I've got to leave for school soon-ish so i don't have enough time to write one up now.  I might do in the next few days if nobody else will.

11 minutes ago, Stanhope said:

1: take a pilot slot in the lobby, get in a CAS jet.  Just remember that the primary role of pilots is to provide logistical support to the infantry.  So if you're the only pilot on, fly people around.

2: CAS jets spawn as side mission rewards (do not respawn) and at FOB last stand (1+ hour respawn time).  CAS helicopters spawn as side mission rewards(don't respawn) and at FOBs guardian, last stand and marathon (between 30min and 1 hour respawn time, can't remember exactly).
3: The same way as in singleplayer :)

One thing that is different from single player tho is that on EU1&2 if you're operating a support asset (like a CAS jet or heli) you need to be called in by infantry before you're allowed to start engaging.  This generally doesn't apply to hostile air assets, nobody minds you taking those out :)

That would indeed be useful.  I've got to leave for school soon-ish so i don't have enough time to write one up now.  I might do in the next few days if nobody else will.

Welp that was quick response!

I already know how to give support since it's the same in the UAV only engage when called in.

Thanks a lot for the explanation.

FOB last stand isn't avaliable all the time so how can a CAS jet spawn when the base isn't unlocked?

2 hours ago, Matteo said:

FOB last stand isn't avaliable all the time so how can a CAS jet spawn when the base isn't unlocked?

As a reward for side missions.  There are 3 cas jets in the list of rewards and a total of 115 rewards.  So about 2.5% chance for a CAS jet when a side mission is successfully completed.  And those don't respawn.

The only other way to get a CAS jet would be a zeus reward. They don't spawn anywhere else.

4 hours ago, Matteo said:

Another thing i don't understand are some of the roles you can pick like:

• JTAC
  • FSG roles

Missed this earlier

JTAC - Joint Terminal Attack Controller: The guy in the squad who talks to air assets and artillery and coordinates their attacks.  In I&A, a guy with a gun and a laser designator.  Nothing special, just another rifleman basically.

FSG - fire support group: in I&A that group has 3 members: team leader, FSG gunner and UAV operator.
-The UAV operator operates the UAVs.
-FSG gunner has access to static weapons, like the mortar and is the only one on the server who has the artillery computer.
-FSG team leader also has access to the statics but doesn't have the arty computer.

11 minutes ago, ansin11 said:

Well we both know that if I write it it'll be done by next month and I'd just tell the reader to not bother with GBU-12 equipped UAVs at all, but if that's fine... :P

They work fine. Problem is on your end :P