Connecting a Controller

Mad Eye Moody

I have been a Radio Control pilot for over 40 years, I fly helicopters, fixed wing, racing drones, 1/5 scale cars both line of sight and first person view at public shows and competitions. I would like to connect my RC Tx to the game rather than use a joystick. Can this be done? Has anyone connected a Taranis X9Plus and if so how? If not then I will need to fork out for a simple joystick I suppose! 

I'd highly recommend you use your mouse and keyboard to fly.

A majority of the most respected pilots in ArmA use M/Kb, despite having full HOTAS crazy setups for games like DCS. Game is just built for M/Kb

If you want peripherals, the best investment is arguably a set of pedals and a head tracking system.

3 hours ago, Amentes said:

I'd highly recommend you use your mouse and keyboard to fly.

A majority of the most respected pilots in ArmA use M/Kb, despite having full HOTAS crazy setups for games like DCS. Game is just built for M/Kb

If you want peripherals, the best investment is arguably a set of pedals and a head tracking system.

I agree on the head tracking and pedals, but it's not because some of the most respected pilots in ArmA use M/Kb that it's necessarily the best option. When you're used to a controller, taking the controls with M/Kb feels completely unnatural. YMMV and all that. :)

That being said, I have almost 2 decades of experience with those "full HOTAS crazy setups", without ever having any problems, but no matter what I try, I just can't make it feel right in ArmA either, so I'm using a middle way: keyboard buttons for throttle up / down, the joystick on a Logitech G13 for pitch / roll, and pedals for yaw. In terms of controller motion vs input, I'm guessing the G13 stick might be somewhat similar to what Mad Eye Moody knows from his RC flying, so if he can get it hooked up, he could do just fine.

I have no idea if and how to connect that controller, though. Maybe try one of these links that explain how to connect your controller to a computer, and see if ArmA recognises the axes?

https://www.propwashed.com/taranis-fpv-freerider-windows-10/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-rDT70OY0M

If you can imagine this: I have a 1.5 meter span twin motored plane with a hd camera, video transmitter and autopilot. It has a controllable range of 20 miles. I wear a pair of goggles with a head tracker that are connected to a video receiver getting live feed from the plane. It’s just like being in the model. Control is by my hand held Taranis transmitter. I also fly racing drones like those on TV. Not as well as those youngsters because at age 65 my reactions are just a wee bit slower but my pockets are a wee bit deeper :-)).  So flying a copter on a screen is a bit like that. I am really impressed with the skills of some of the pilots on AhoyWorld, especially the one with the Vietnam Music! BTW how does he do that music and cool ? walking? BTW my game name is Tim. 

I always say over 50% of piloting skills is selecting the right LZ and approach. The controls and controlling the chopper are important, but only become critical to your survival if you messed up the planning or failed to execute according to plan!

Looking at some guides to use your controller for FPV sims, it seems that if you connect you rc control to you computer via the usb port it should pop up as a joystick. Atleast in windows 10. There a guide here, LINK ,  to set it up for FPV drone sims but it should be doable to connect it to the pc and then in arma configure the axes just as you would on a joystick.

Do note I have no experience with this so it woudl be trial and error on your end.

Yes that’s correct. With all commercial syms the interface is built in. You set the model up on the tx then connect to the program and select the tx make and model and happy Days it’s done. One thing I can do is get a hdmi output from the pc to my goggles for a real imersive in-game experience. My goggles have a built in head tracker as well. I also run an off road 4x4 1/5 scale car with a Tonka Jeep body