Repo Rework Ideas

Putting this in the general discussion area rather than submitting a feature request as this is a topic that deserves discussion and input from the community. 

Firstly, a little transparency. Before I was a moderator, along with now, I've heard a large amount of in-game discussion about things that players think should be added (or re-added); but these features are often ones that would mean massive repo change, such as the CUP collection. While the general consensus I'm getting from the community is that people want CUP, it has been met with hard resistance when presented to staff. This is for two reasons:

1. Adding CUP would likely mean adding it in its entirety. Not including the map pack, that's 8.8 GB. That's a massive amount to download (and update) for a repo, and when we did have these mods (I had just joined the community at this point), the staff were getting constant complaints from the community about huge updates that take a horrid amount of time to download. So, CUP was removed in the sake of minimizing the repo size, including everything that required it (i.e. Fallujah, Lingor, Isla Duala). 
  2. There is a max limit to the repo size due to our current server hosts. I think all of us would love to see CUP added back on top of everything we already have, but it just is not possible. If we were to add it back, we would likely have to get rid of all our current maps (minus Altis, Stratis, Malden since they're part of Arma 3 itself) and a few weapon/outfit packs. After seeing the public outcry for Lythium to be kept, I don't see any proposal for its replacement with CUP to be successful any time soon.

---------------------------------------------------

With the above being said, I am going to suggest some things here. Again, I'm suggesting these things here because this is too big a topic to squeeze into a single mod request. Here are my recommended repo changes, leading with a - or a + to be removed or added respectively:

- Gorgona (100 MB)

From my discussions with the community, Gorgona seems to be a universally-disliked map. Its small size often leads to overlapping missions, and huge mission area markers. Due to a lack of diverse mission locations and generally no need for Vortex or waterborne assets, it quickly leads to boredom among the players; and when the server population gets to the point of, for example, a full Alpha, things get cluttered. 

- LAV25 (100 MB)

Introduces effective, but incredibly weak and unreliable LAVs. Hardly ever used for that reason.

- StrykerPack (174 MB)

Introduces generally ineffective and weak Strykers based off of Arma 2. Horrible steering. Rarely used, if ever.

- JS_JC_FA18 (191 MB)

Personal preference on this one. I see absolutely no reason to have 191 MB dedicated to a single aircraft. There are plenty of other jets Vortex can take, even though it's already a rarity that Vortex takes a jet in the first place.

+ Civilian Occupation System (1 MB) [possible code streamlining @Ryko?]

Possible tool for civilian presence within Stiletto. Seems to make everything largely automatic and allows for custom scripting to be applied, so it shouldn't take away from intel gathering and such. This suggestion is mainly for Ryko.

Armaholic: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=25194

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSqvIavO8BA

+ TPW Mods

Ambient enhancement for all aspects of gameplay. Too much to describe here, check out the Armaholic page. Everyone, PLEASE check this out.

+ Advanced Sling Loading, Towing, and Rappelling (.67 MB)

Most are familiar with these mods, and the names are self-explanatory.

---------------------------------------------------

Total Repo Size Change: -474.33 MB

This leaves some moderate space for future feature suggestions.

Spoiler

[Side note] In my personal opinion, I'd really look into adding CUP Core back. That's 3.6 GB right there, but hear me out; there are a plethora of maps that require -only- CUP Core. There's still some massive issues with this suggestion, such as the maximum repo size that our server can currently handle. For this reason, I'll propose this: if at some point we should add CUP Core, we remove all community maps and replace them with new ones that require the core. But, this discussion is likely a long way away.

Now, in regards to the repo, I'd like to use this thread to allow people to discuss and propose repo changes in the above manner; go through a number of suggestions (not just one, use the regular feature request for that), but have both additions and subtractions and have a solid argument for each. Do not just suggest things at random because they look neat or because you think the server would be better with/without them; be constructive and thorough with your thoughts.

Cheers,

Shadow

38 minutes ago, ShadowAce11 said:

- Gorgona (100 MB)

From my discussions with the community, Gorgona seems to be a universally-disliked map. Its small size often leads to overlapping missions, and huge mission area markers. Due to a lack of diverse mission locations and generally no need for Vortex or waterborne assets, it quickly leads to boredom among the players; and when the server population gets to the point of, for example, a full Alpha, things get cluttered. 

I agree. I hate Gorgona myself, mostly for the size. It makes it hard for a full squad to be effective without clustering up in a single spot.

- LAV25 (100 MB)

Introduces effective, but incredibly weak and unreliable LAVs. Hardly ever used for that reason.

- StrykerPack (174 MB)

Introduces generally ineffective and weak Strykers based off of Arma 2. Horrible steering. Rarely used, if ever.

LAV25 sure. But Strykers? I kinda like them. I was once told by a member, never confirmed with staff, that Stryker's should only be used by Hammer & Torch. However, if I were Squad Lead and I had to option to lead Alpha drive Strykers, you would see a LOT of use with it.

Alternatively I would love if we could find a replacement pack for the Strykers/LAV25 - Armored IFVs.

- JS_JC_FA18 (191 MB)

Personal preference on this one. I see absolutely no reason to have 191 MB dedicated to a single aircraft. There are plenty of other jets Vortex can take, even though it's already a rarity that Vortex takes a jet in the first place.

It is at it's rarest that people use the FA-18. People much rather use the A-10 or F-16 provided with the current aircraft addon.

+ Advanced Sling Loading, Towing, and Rappelling (.67 MB)

Most are familiar with these mods, and the names are self-explanatory.

HELL. TO. THE. FUCKING. YEAH. I would love to land on a rooftop, repel off the sides and engage targets that way. It also provides for a more realistic approach to the sling load and towing scene. Additionally this could provide a lot of usage and MUCH preferred meta to the gameplay!

However, these are all just my opinions, to be put on the table :)

My 2 cents as a player:

43 minutes ago, ShadowAce11 said:

- Gorgona (100 MB)

I personally like the small size.  Does it matter we have no need to use FOBs, vortex or boats?  You can use all of them on that map if you wanted to. 

And how so getting bored?  Is a different mission in the same location suddenly the same mission?  Does it matter that you're fighting the same mission in the same location?  Just do something different yourself this time.  Instead of camping from a hill, try getting as close as possible before getting shot at.  

And a squad being in one spot happens on maps like altis and lithium too.  Ditching 1 map because people can't keep their spacing is rather strange.

- LAV25 (100 MB)

Unreliable, except for guns because of ACE jamming I've never heard about something being unreliable in arma.  Incredibly week well, it's kind of in the name isn't it?   LAV-25 (Light Armored Vehicle).  It's not designed to do the same things as a proper IFV or as an MBT, yet we use it that way.  Stop using it that way and it won't explode that often anymore.

- StrykerPack (174 MB)

I'd love to use it more but afaik it's only spawnable by 1 faction?  (US army?)  APCs and IFVs in general are rarely if ever used, not only the strykers.  

- JS_JC_FA18 (191 MB)

By all means, throw it straight out :) 

+ Civilian Occupation System (1 MB) [possible code streamlining @Ryko?]

Possible tool for civilian presence within Stiletto. Seems to make everything largely automatic and allows for custom scripting to be applied, so it shouldn't take away from intel gathering and such. This suggestion is mainly for Ryko.

Armaholic: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=25194

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSqvIavO8BA

+ TPW Mods

Ambient enhancement for all aspects of gameplay. Too much to describe here, check out the Armaholic page. Everyone, PLEASE check this out.

Don't like either of these mods.  You don't need 1 MB worth of scripts to get civies to be in buildings.  And TPW seems to partially do what VCOM AI already does and partially be useless for use as we use ACE medical.  And the remaining things I read is just spawning effects, sounds, animals all over the place.  That'll in all likelihood not help FPS.  

I'd say CUP isn't needed, I don't care about the mod size myself because people always complain about the repo size but technically removing mods and adding new ones even if they are smaller is technically making the repo mod size larger. Besides, we have plenty of variety already.

All the mods listed could be thrown away, only one I'd sadly say goodbye to is the F-18 as it's been a dependable fast mover since EU3 day one and has never let me down in my thousands of hours on ArmA.

The rappelling mod could be quite nice though I could see people abusing it for giggles and subsequently glitching stuff. Overall though, it would lead to some interesting scenarios i'm sure. Towing would also be quite useful to retrieve vehicles.

Additionally while we're on the subject of mods and scripts, @Jochem has been working on a physical inventory mod not to mention that @J0hnson also pointed one out to me. The mod in question allows you to get supply boxes and load them physically onto a vehicle or pallet and load said pallet into a vehicle to double the storage. I feel this sort of thing would be great for Logistics and would also bump up gear size as well as organise it for large missions where returning to base isn't desired.

• Ryko locked this topic