Logi, SLs and a whole lot of other things apparently

Funny a while back i got in trouble for always taking ASL and actually telling people to note take certain slots they couldn't be in according to the rules.  It led to quite a show on the form.  You can read it here:

And now i'm getting told i don't take ASL often enough?

I'm not telling anyone to go tell any ASL anything.  I'm asking SLs to please use logi less often and the rest of us to not slot in logi without explicit consent from the SL.  

If i'm saying you're in charge that's probably because i trust you to be able to figure it out on your own.  The alternative is that i don't know the answer/solution/... either.

6 minutes ago, Jorgensen73 said:

I don’t know all the different helicopters by type and specific details, so instead of blowing people of you could be more helpful.

I have yet to blow someone of that has asked me how many seats are in a heli or which helicopter belongs to type number x or y.  What people might be mistaken in is that if i say "i don't know".  Some people might take that as that i don't want to help.  Thing is that I literally mean what i say: I don't know all the heli types either and certainly not how many people they fit (also applies to other things).

11 minutes ago, Jorgensen73 said:

I respect your experience in AWE and would like to learn from you instead of feeling

You're as far as i know the only one in that.

7 hours ago, Stanhope said:

Because that will not help an unconfident SL.  If I immediately, publicly criticize his decisions he's not gonna be inclined to take that slot again.  In this thread i have not pointed a finger at any person.  This way people who take ASL aren't publicly criticized and can decide for themselves whether or not they want to keep 'SLing' like they do.

You needn't criticise his ideas as much as suggest options. Believe it or not, it can be done without offensive.

Really?  To put it bluntly: have you stuck your head under a rock the last 2 months or something?  It's been happening pretty much 4-5 times a week for the last 2 months.

So I shouldn't find it shocking? What's the point made here? Should I become used to people doing this, or should I actually see it as a problem and agree with the hope for it to stop, as I do?

5 hours ago, Ryko said:

In a future update to Stiletto I will probably make it so that creating a new FOB infantry spawn point will remove the previous one.

Removing the ability to create and use more than one FOB will greatly negate the use and enjoyment of Logi on maps like Altis, or even Lythium. Tasking Logi to set up multiple FOBs around Altis for Alpha to use, dependent on where they need to be deployed, is an extremely fun experience for everyone playing. I agree with the lack of a teleporter point though, since I am categorised in "Muh'immersion".

I feel like this post is getting unnecessarily long with no help from myself or others, so long in fact it may not even be read by the community and it's overall points are lost in translation, so to summarise and hopefully remain on course from here on, these are Stan's main arguments, for discussion to be focused upon in the future:

• People taking logi without explicitly asking ASL
  • ASLs not asking people to leave logi when he doesn't want them
  • 3x guys in logi taking 60 minutes to set up an FOB that has 5 H-barrier, a vehicle and plane spawner and a spawn point.
  • 3x guys being in logi while there are only 5x people in alpha (no base was not the freedom nor was it on malden)
  • Logi being used every single time i joined the server in the last 3 weeks (except 2-3 times)
  • The delays caused by the usage of logi right after a restart
  • The fact that I've got more enemies shooting me because 3 guys are sitting somewhere messing about with logi crates

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I'm back from my week hiatus I can respond to this. 

@Johnson, @Noah_Hero, I'm not sure if I was the ASL, but thanks for the shout-out. I try to get everyone ready and out in 10 minutes or less, because I get just as fed up with the arsenal dress-up and other BS as much as everyone else. Keeping the server moving is the best way to keep it alive.

I have been trying to ASL more often. I feel it's appropriate as a moderator, and I also feel obligated after logging over 1,000 hours on Enhanced alone. I've experienced my fair share of problems with how heavy the task of team management gets with the role. I can't just give some advice and fix this, but I can at least describe my ASL playstyle and hope people take something from it. 

Personally, I can't stand any support team in general because it takes away from my ability to command my squad. So, I generally trust peoples' ability to be autonomous and send them about their business. Should I have a Vortex, I will simply tell him to do recon, or engage at will, or be ready for transports. What he does between orders I couldn't care less about. I apply the same to other support squads, especially logistics.

Last time I was leading, it was Malden. I told Logi "pick any place you want a FOB to be at and just go and build it." Additionally, I make it clear that I expect the individuals within that squad to rejoin Alpha after the FOB is built. If they give me attitude for that call, I just revoke my approval for a FOB at all. If they disconnect because of that, obviously I'm a little regretful that we just lost a player, but I'm not going to let them just build bases all over the place while the undermanned Alpha gets massacred.

(I don't see a need for the FOB most of the time in the first place, because that nullifies nearly all the other support roles - especially Vortex. For example, as ASL I could actually put Vortex to use transporting vehicles, or doing MEDEVAC. Then a FOB comes along with a vehicle spawnpoint and a medical building, and all that's left for Vortex is CAS. But infantry often worry about having too little to do, so I avoid calling in Vortex, which means he's just sitting at base or hovering around the AO watching the ground troops clear an objective at 1/10th the rate he could. But I digress...)

My primary duty as ASL is to lead Alpha, not coordinate support teams. So, I don't; I give broad orders and expect those teams to know what to do. The time I spend dealing with support's problems is valuable time I'm losing with my squad, and it distracts from my ability to respond adequately to threats and events. 

I allow people to take slots like Vortex and Logi while I'm leading because I know that's the role they want. I will not deny them their desired role because I want Alpha to be full; but I wholeheartedly expect them to either contribute, or have their hour of fun and join those who are actually working towards something. If I'm going to allow a full team to build a FOB, then screw around at it for the rest of the map duration, I'd rather not have those people on at all. You will help us move forward in some way if I am ASL, that's guaranteed.

I will always prioritize enjoyment over slotting rules. If you want to do something like Hammer or Angel for example, I will find a way to incorporate you into our missions without distracting from the infantry's experience. I just ask that you commit to your role, and that you can be autonomous with it.