AWE/MSO Bootcamp Mission

tecHunt

Question

After playing a bit on AWE and first time on MSO, I'm still pretty new to a lot of mods and approaches.

I've played some roles and looked at what I found in the forums.

Problem is:

1. reading and actually knowing what you're doing are 2 different things
  2. setting up a testing environment in the editor is not that straight forward

I would like to have a sort of boot camp where there's a proper introduction for the different roles.

It could even branch out to teach people, who already know the basics, more advanced things (which probably already happens, but in cliques the general public might not have access to)

What I'd personally like to see:

• How to use mortar effectively
  • Building sweeping
  • Basic commands / how to handle a squad
  • Proper map reading
  • other stuff you would like to see / know about

To do this every time a new member joins would be a waste, so my idea is to set up a doodle.com (or similar) where 1-2 people who know those roles can say when they're available and when enough people sign up for a date, lead a mission.

10 answers to this question

Oh man.

Ok, so in the past this has been done, and there's currently a scenario floating around that's pretty close to being finished, for this purpose.

The issue here is it's been tried, and people didn't actually show up for it. What we've learned is that the playerbase has historically preferred learning as they go, on the job as it were.

We have several users, myself, included, who would be happy to provide instruction and/or round-table discussions, but most of those same people, myself included, are also a bit burned out with trying to set it up and not see any interest.

As it stands, if a group of people was to ask for this, I'd be happy to oblige, but I'd expect a commitment from those people to actually be there at the agreed upon time.

you can run around and learn as you go, but some things you can't just learn that way.

also, a person joining doesn't know the people in the community yet, so they also don't know who to ask.

that is why, I'd like to see a place, a list where new people can sign themselves up, and when there's enough someone who knows what's up can say when they have time.

not a forum post tho, because this gets messy fast.

2 hours ago, tecHunt said:

you can run around and learn as you go, but some things you can't just learn that way.

also, a person joining doesn't know the people in the community yet, so they also don't know who to ask.

that is why, I'd like to see a place, a list where new people can sign themselves up, and when there's enough someone who knows what's up can say when they have time.

not a forum post tho, because this gets messy fast.

One on one training has also been tried by myself and others on the training team. The trouble is that it's easy to get burned out fast doing it. 

One night I wound up giving three separate people the basics back to back. 

As Amentes has said, whenever we set up training nights the people who need help don't come and we wind up going over stuff the guys already know again and again.

I'd love to see that change but we'll see how the next session goes I guess. 

Okay, maybe it is boring to do the same stuff over and over again.
So how about this:

Make one proper boot camp series.
Go through the basic stuff people should know when playing on AWE/MSO, some people record it and then someone cuts them into proper parts.
This is obviously related with some effort, however I do believe it pays off in the long run, especially for stuff that doesn't change much.

Putting those videos on a platform like youtube will provide both,

• a unified place to point new players to
  • advertising for what people can expect on Ahoyworld

Also, not everything has to be pointed out, so the first step would be to make a list of important things to know.
Alternatively, an easier approach would be to search for videos from others and simply create a playlist (and maybe doing the 1-2 things missing ourselves).
The unified place is the most important thing here.

e.g. I had to search quite a bit before I found a guide for mortars. It's not that there are none, however I first had to figure out if I could trust the range table or if AWE uses the advanced physics simulation. Then I had to set up the editor (which I'm not very familiar with) and only then did I realize that the guide was missing some really important stuff which wasn't obvious when I read it (where's the indicator for the charges?). In the end there's still a chance I'd "accidentally" hit an orphanage instead of the enemy installation, because none of the info was actually approved by AWE veterans. Having a video which shows a methode that is known to work would be more reassuring.

Perhaps we should use a workshop kind of structure, basically have 3 things running at the same time with people's expertise:

e.g.
Mortar usage/Map reading (They go hand in hand and are easy to combine)
Room Clearing/CQB

Medical System

That way we cater to more people and the turnout may be larger, I'll happily build a scenario for it tonight tbh, if people want we can run it on coming Friday even, for perhaps an hour or 1 or 2 and then go to a massive AWE game.

tecHunt has a good feeling about proposing a bootcamp but as several of you explained it, it can be disappointing for both "teachers" and "learners"...

I think it will be nice to have/catch some scenario (workshop) we can do on our own (singleplayer) to improve ourselves. Those kind of scenarios may even already exists on workshop and armaholic...

I think it will be the thing i'll do tonight to improve my marksmanship: VR environment, random dudes distance to distance and try to shoot them...