ACRE opinions? (not requesting/suggesting)

I was just wondering how people feel about ACRE currently? It would be nice to hear some opinions about it instead of arguing with myself haha.

I was messing around with the new update within 2.5.0 (click'n'scroll for changelog) that was massively optimised for TeamSpeak support and it re-ignited my love for ACRE.

I do stress that I am not requesting ACRE's introduction to AWE, I honestly just want to hear some opinions about it. I look forward to see some points :) 

Personally I didn't like it, was not reliable enough when we had it and it's also important to know that tfar has a big update out that fixes a lot of the gripes people have regrading it. These include things like intercom, antennas, improvements to the local comms.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using a phone app that is really irritating because it constantly advertises itself.

I like them for what they do in their respective niches.

TFAR is a toy you plug in and have fun with. Radio ranges are forgivable and functionality minimal so that all you really have to know about is your PTT keys.

ACRE is a simulation that becomes more satisfying the more you know about it. It enforces realism, but as grunts, you also only really have to know about your keybinds to work the 343.

What I love about ACRE is the suite of customisations it brings. If you enjoy Arma on full effects volume, TFAR will be drowned out by even minor noise. ACRE lets you adjust voice volume in post- and pre-mix to match your preferences without messing with individuals' volumes on TS.

Local voice is much more dynamic and blocked by obstacles. Sound travels around the wall, not right through it. If you're behind a house from someone, you better start yelling so they hear you.

ACRE's terrain interference is life, but I know that's not for everyone, especially those who just want to jump in and get gunning.

Right now, comparing ACRE and TFAR is almost apples to oranges.

We need a radio mod and TFAR is a radio mod, I guess.

1 hour ago, SkullCollector said:

TFAR is a toy

(ACRE is a tool) My opinion exactly over TFAR/ACRE. But I honestly think that the ACRE radios are easier to use. The 343 and the 152 in ACRE are even simpler than TFAR. You needn't find, input and enter the exact frequency into the radios with ACRE, you just turn a knob to switch from channel to channel. In my eyes that's way simpler for grunts and still allows people to get right into the action.

The extended and realistic options that ACRE adds is not forced into use but instead optional for the users. For example, a user of an AN/PRC-152 radio who is receiving a distant, unreadable transmition can either move to a higher/better/closer position (the more common choice for grunts/inexperienced ACRE users) or activate Squelch (what some may do who are experienced). Either way, both options are highly plausible.

Acre was a royal pain in the ass. Worked well until it didn't, then we couldn't track down why, and it was super naggy when it broke. (anyone remember the hint that NEVER WENT Away blaming something else for desynchronization?) 

Tfar just worked. 

I find TFAR more... easy. You don't have to switch between radios with the use of certain keys - as ACRE forced you to. 

TFAR is nice to, since ACRE would force you switch between radios to change them, when half the time I was wondering if I changed my LR or SR... TFAR is so much simpler, it's CTRL+P or ALT+P and you know which one is which by the command you use to open the radio settings with.

Overall, I feel TFAR is more useful and easier as of use. Plus I believe the design is better:)

True, you can just rebind the keys as you would with any other mod. I actually think ACRE is easier to use as it uses simple channels, not frequencies.

Theres no need for pre-set frequencies as there is in TFAR, just simply channels.

I personally feel that ACRE is more consistent due to this.

Theres no need for pre-set frequencies as there is in TFAR, just simply channels.

But TFAR uses channels, and at least in Stiletto the channel frequencies are preset, so you don't really need to change them, but you have the flexibility to do so if you desire.

13 hours ago, Ryko said:

But TFAR uses channels, and at least in Stiletto the channel frequencies are preset, so you don't really need to change them, but you have the flexibility to do so if you desire.

True but the lack of this ability does make the mod simpler regardless and leaves little room for frequency errors and such.

TFAR is still currently the best option for AWE as ACRE prioritises realism over all else and therefore has less visible features than TFAR (but more coded features like terrain and weather interference).

I'm just happy to see how people feel about it.

TFAR has terrain interference, it is perhaps not as nuanced or intensive as ACRE's but it takes into account if there is a mountain between you and the person you're wanting to talk to. With relatively modern radios that's really all I think needs to be taken into account, otherwise you start having communication problems that lead people to wonder if the mod is working properly.

I can't remember the last time we had an error with frequencies, or frankly, a time when players changed their frequencies from default.

20 hours ago, Ryko said:

TFAR has terrain interference, it is perhaps not as nuanced or intensive as ACRE's but it takes into account if there is a mountain between you and the person you're wanting to talk to. With relatively modern radios that's really all I think needs to be taken into account, otherwise you start having communication problems that lead people to wonder if the mod is working properly.

I can't remember the last time we had an error with frequencies, or frankly, a time when players changed their frequencies from default.

I believe TFAR's terrain interference is limited to valley's however while ACRE should be interfered by buildings and tunnels.

I've had people occasionally have issues with frequencies when they forget a decimal, hear a frequency wrong or perhaps the channels all refresh to different frequencies because of a radio that is not configured properly. These issues of course are rare and not a big deal though.

Like others have said, I believe that TFAR is a toy and ACRE is a tool. ACRE is indeed more enjoyable, realistic and leaves more room for interesting communication based scenarios but for a server such as AWE, TFAR is required.

IgL6rOOaS460hYpBQh0qZw.png