Next guide

Stanhope

Next guide  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What guide should i make next?

• Good LZ placement
    • AOs, which enemies are there?
    • Side missions, how to complete, which enemies, ...
    • Priority objectives, which enemies, how to complete, ...
    • make a new updated arma3sync guide

As you might have noticed i'm writing some guides in the new subsection of the I&A subforum.  I've written a basic intro and a UAV guide (because the 2 old ones were outdated).  Now i'm open for suggestions on what  else i could write a guide about.  You can either chose one of the options in the poll or suggest something else down below.

Stan

Please do add to the “good LZ placement” that besides designating a suitable LZ, it also needs quite some preparation on the pilot’s side. (First of all, knowing where the LZ is, then terrain and threats impact ingress and egress route, wave-off possibilities and alternate LZ’s, ...)

And give some pointers to the things a pilot occupies himself with during several phases of flight (you can just link to Dslyexci’s flight tutorials for that)

I’ve had far too many soldiers jump in the helicopter, remain silent throughout the entire flight and then 1km from the planned LZ: “Hey, I’ve marked LZ Hol-van-Pluto on the map, could you take me there instead?”

12 hours ago, Eagle-Eye said:

give some pointers to the things a pilot occupies himself with during several phases of flight

The side chat.

12 hours ago, Eagle-Eye said:

I[']ve had far too many soldiers jump in the helicopter, remain silent throughout the entire flight and then 1km from the planned LZ: ["]Hey, I[']ve marked LZ Hol-van-Pluto on the map, could you take me there instead?["]

You have more or less three options in this case:

1. Considering that at one kilometer out you usually are already starting your landing approach and assuming that the area is not safe, land where you were planning to. Mister Hol-van-Pluto-LZ probably will get out at that point. If he doesn't, check out LZ Hol-van-Pluto and decide wether you can go there. If you can, you are now able to offer him to go there after the others got off.
  2. Assuming you are a good pilot and you are not currently being shot at, you can attempt to come around for LZ Hol-van-Pluto. Or you offer him to go there after the LZ of your choice. Involves looking at the map, not ideal halfway into an AO landing.
  3. Screw that guy and his LZ that he marked in the wrong damn channel, this is your helicopter.

Why have I written this...

Looks like i'm doing the LZ one next.  I'm not gonna give any ETA because i write these whenever i have 15 minutes between classes or have a particularly long lunch break.  
Btw if anyone wants to help by for example sending me screenshots of for example the UAVs that'd of course be appreciated :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Late response, but just got back from a few weeks abroad. :)

On 30/09/2017 at 5:42 PM, ansin11 said:

@Stanhope No, I can not remember seeing that legendary man fly a jet. Or anything else. But does he land without autohover?

I can not remember being a legendary man either, but to answer your question: pretty much the only time I use autohover is when I need to check something in Zeus, or know I'll be spending a longer-than-usual time checking the full-screen map while airborne.

On 30/09/2017 at 2:42 PM, ansin11 said:

You have more or less three options in this case:

1. Considering that at one kilometer out you usually are already starting your landing approach and assuming that the area is not safe, land where you were planning to. Mister Hol-van-Pluto-LZ probably will get out at that point. If he doesn't, check out LZ Hol-van-Pluto and decide wether you can go there. If you can, you are now able to offer him to go there after the others got off.
  2. Assuming you are a good pilot and you are not currently being shot at, you can attempt to come around for LZ Hol-van-Pluto. Or you offer him to go there after the LZ of your choice. Involves looking at the map, not ideal halfway into an AO landing.
  3. Screw that guy and his LZ that he marked in the wrong damn channel, this is your helicopter.

Why have I written this...

In my opinion, there's only 1 option:

At anything less than 1 km, you're fully committed to your plan for the LZ you are heading to. The only possible thing driving you away from landing there is if something screws up your approach entirely, generally that means bad preparation, a pop-up threat or an aircraft malfunction.

My COA in that case would be:

1. Ingress to planned LZ

2. Land and/or drop troops

3. Egress to a safe distance

4A. If Mr. Hol-Van-Pluto got out, I'll RTB

4B. If he is still in the back, THEN I'll check where he marked the LZ and if / how I can get there