Sidemission idea: Ambulance Hunter\littlebird

It would be awesome to spawn a dedicated ambulance hunter.

- As long as you are in the hunter you will be able to see the people in need of revive.

- The hunter can spawn a field hospital

- Collect dead bodies and drive them to the field hospital for revive

- This hunter would not respawn unless destroyed.

the field hospital would need to be manned by a medic, and can also serve as a collection area where the walking-wounded can go for treatment...

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Someone once again mentioned the idea of a MEDEVAC chopper a few days ago. I would use the actual vehicle as the 'field hospital' rather than having it create a tent. Being able to simply "Heal at X" might be a nice and basic idea?

Being able to simply "Heal at X" might be a nice and basic idea?

I guess that would make more sense on a small map like this anyway, and prolly a lot easier and quicker to implement :)

However i think it need to be something for motorized wheeled vehicle instead of chopper. (I'm looking for stuff to do with cars, as i suck at flying :P )

It'd be really cool to have a medevac chopper, one that serves as a sort of 'heal here!' point, or maybe it can sort of be an analogue to medics, where, if you drag/carry a player who's either critically injured or just plain injured, they can be put into the chopper, which stabilizes them, and flies back to the medevac center at the airbase, where there will be a dedicated team waiting? I'm not too sure how exactly they'd get healed, maybe instantly when the medevac chopper lands at the medevac site, but it'd be cool, especially if the pilot is adequate and the medics on the server aren't doing too well.

Just a thought :D

Hmm Cain, allow to continue on that great thought:

Maybe it is possible to create a script that revive and heals a player automatically when the player is unloaded from any vehicle in the medevac area on the base. No 3th player interaction needed. This could also turn off automatically when a medic is in 100m proximity from the medevac area, so if a medic insist on playing medevac docktor, they can.

This way you could revive your teammates even when there are no active medics around. Example, then you are with only few players on server, or when all medics are just playing stupid ?

Hmm Cain, allow to continue on that great thought:

Maybe it is possible to create a script that revive and heals a player automatically when the player is unloaded from any vehicle in the medevac area on the base. No 3th player interaction needed. This could also turn off automatically when a medic is in 100m proximity from the medevac area, so if a medic insist on playing medevac docktor, they can.

This way you could revive your teammates even when there are no active medics around. Example, then you are with only few players on server, or when all medics are just playing stupid ?

That's fine though, to play Devil's Advocate, what's the point of a player waiting to be taken back to base to be revived when they could just respawn at base anyway? You have to make sure that you're forcing immersion on the players.

what's the point of a player waiting to be taken back to base to be revived when they could just respawn at base anyway? 

1 - If and when you decide to punish players for respawning too quick, in order to promote medic gameplay, there should also be a way to avoid such punishment even when no medics around.

2 - this will also allow other non-AW servers to totally remove respawn all together, and play the game on a higher realism level ?

In addition:

Eventually it"s up to the player how far he wants to take his role-playing and realism, there might be a group of people to use this system, (like me) even if you don't enforce the game mechanic on them...

1 - If and when you decide to punish players for respawning too quick, in order to promote medic gameplay, there should also be a way to avoid such punishment even when no medics around.

2 - this will also allow other non-AW servers to totally remove respawn all together, and play the game on a higher realism level ?

In addition:

Eventually it"s up to the player how far he wants to take his role-playing and realism, there might be a group of people to use this system, (like me) even if you don't enforce the game mechanic on them...

In terms of forcing immersion, you could have a timer set whilst you are critically injured, say 30 seconds, until players are able to respawn. It'd give a chance for medics to come around, or a medevac chopper to pick you up.

You need to make it simple on casual server, some people care about points, some people care about realism, while others don't care about either. An easy way to promote this would be to deduct a certain percentage of your score if you press the respawn button. For those that care about realism this isn't even an issue as they will wait for a medic no matter what, and if they need to respawn they will understand why there is a penalty for doing so. For those who care about their score or points, this will obviously encourage them to wait for a medic, if there is no medics around they have to respawn and need to be more careful not to die if they want to keep their score. For those that don't care, well, they don't care.

To ease the pain for those who care about points, you could add a timer, so that if no medic comes to your aid within 3 minutes, you can respawn without being penalized. However, you are not supposed to get killed, and unless you get killed by friendly fire or you did not make sure you were in a squad with a medic, its your own fault for being careless if this is something that happens so often that it deducts a larger portion of your points.

The medevac should be made so that players need to be taken to a MASH. If its by car or helicopter doesn't matter, a helicopter is faster but a car can get to you more easily with less risk. On stratis the only place a MASH could be set up is in base, and its not very far if drivers cooperate with pilots. This is, in fact, a lot of fun, as I have played like this a few times as a medic with people who were willing to contribute to the realism and felt likewise. When the injured person is landed at the medevac, he needs to be dragged into a zone, where he would heal up. 

All of this is only necessary if there is no first aid option for medics, or if there are no good medics on the server and you want to save a mate. With a more advanced injure script, this will however become a reality :) 

I do like the idea of having players' scores altered if they respawn before a certain time. How about...

When a player dies, let's assume they have the basic 600 seconds (10 minutes) to live before they're forced to respawn. If there's a medic nearby (within 500m), respawning within the first X seconds (could be 30, could be 300; whatever you want) will remove either a set amount or a percentage of their score. Players will be warned after clicking the "Respawn" button that this is the case and can back out of respawning and remain on the ground if they wish. If a medic is then no longer within 500m, there will be no penalty for respawning.

Bottom line: if there's a medic, you wait. If there's not, there's nothing stopping you heading back to base and starting again.

That's fine though, to play Devil's Advocate, what's the point of a player waiting to be taken back to base to be revived when they could just respawn at base anyway? You have to make sure that you're forcing immersion on the players.

Simple. You reward the player for taking part in the immersion. Award AhoyCoins / Points to the players with the least amount of deaths at the end of the round. Award a point for a player who allows himself to be med-evac'd back to base.

You need to make 'death' (in this case, respawning at base) punishable in a passive sense. Deducting points per death, and awarding longevity is a great way to do that without interfering with the players who 'just don't care about that sort of thing'

Perhaps it is possible to at least reverse the death score if one receive first aid, because in a sense, you don't really die until you re-spawn. In my personal op, this is enough encouragement to wait for a medic, as I try to play the game without my death score accumulating :)

I agree that penalising players for quick respawns is a good idea, though I wouldn't reward players for waiting on the ground; that's just a weird game mechanic! :D

Often, in the gaming world, weird game mechanics turn out to be the best. ;-)

Perhaps it is possible to at least reverse the death score if one receive first aid, because in a sense, you don't really die until you re-spawn. In my personal op, this is enough encouragement to wait for a medic, as I try to play the game without my death score accumulating :)

In the original domination, you would simply go 'unconscious' if you are hit. This doesn't affect your score at all, and you only receive a 'death' score if you re-spawn  It's possible we could replicate that behaviour. I'll look into it.

As for the reward/penalty idea, I think a double-point system would be perfect - you lose a point for being hit, and you lose another point for re-spawning - a full hit and re-spawn would remove two points from your overall score; thus eliminating the need for uh.. weird game mechanics, as Rarek put it.