I&A: FOBs don't lose after server restart

JulianWilliams

Question

It really bothers me when we capture an FOB then after several hours, they're gone because of the routine server restart. And what's even worse is, we can't ask the staff in game to give them back because it's not allowed? What a waste of effort to lose that FOB.

So I thought maybe there could be a solution to this. Like, implement a new feature where we don't lose them when the server restarts all of a sudden.

2 answers to this question

Only problem with this is there is no goal. With all FOBs unlocked, the gamemode just turns into a killing floor. All you do is run around the map killing AI, I get some people can enjoy this but others dont. With the FOBs being reset, it gives the players a goal to work towards, a reason to go to the missions and complete them. It means there is a method to the madness of EU1 :P. Also, whilst the admins may not be happy with you asking them, you can always say something along the lines of "I wouldnt mind a restart but can we not keep one of the FOBs". With a sentence like that i normally can seduce an admin into giving us one of the lesser FOBs and then we work towards the bigger one. 

My opinion.

49 minutes ago, JulianWilliams said:

they're gone because of the routine server restart.

We don't routinely restart our servers.  If they do get restarted it's usually because either something bugs out or because frames drop for everyone.

And what's even worse is, we can't ask the staff in game to give them back because it's not allowed?

It's left up to the description of the moderator(s) present at the time whether or not he/she/them give an FOB or several FOBs back.

So I thought maybe there could be a solution to this. Like, implement a new feature where we don't lose them when the server restarts all of a sudden.

Although i partially agree with McKillen i don't think this is a bad idea.  Obviously not all FOBs but maybe one or 2.  And inevitably there will have to be a full restart at some point otherwise we never get to fight for those FOBs.
The problem is on how to get that working on the script side of things.  If anyone knows how to i'll happily talk to them and we'll see how to work from there.  But i don't currently know how i'd get that set up.