Stiletto Feedback Thread

Since the OPFOR-factions are amazing it would be even more amazing if all of them would have the SAME whitelisting so you don´t have to make a sepreate loadout for each of them.:) Also it would just be fair for OPFOR since the whitelisting for BLUFOR is always the same no matter what exact BLUFOR-faction you are playing as. This would make playing as OPFOR most likely also more attractive to people. :);)

version 034, lithium:

It's fun to discover that the gun of your vehicle doesn't fire even though there is ammo for it when you're about to shoot at an enemy that's shooting at you :) 

Don't know if it's something in stiletto or in BAF that causes this.

All 034, different maps tho:
377ECB5D4B979597E4BC05982059194D46521EA0
Service board (at FOB) didn't have service actions (I wasn't on the server when it was created)

2CBCA82C5BC76C900DB33E7D3EF37DD23CDF6173

The "you must join a squad" hint stayed even though I'm clearly in a slot in a squad :)  Has been happening more and more lately.

CE56037DE1EAAAF39B293D3C494EB129BC167EE5

Don't know if it's relevant to Stilleto but I took a screenshot of it so I might as well put it here.

On 9/1/2018 at 2:55 PM, Stanhope said:

version 034, lithium:

It's fun to discover that the gun of your vehicle doesn't fire even though there is ammo for it when you're about to shoot at an enemy that's shooting at you :) 

Don't know if it's something in stiletto or in BAF that causes this.

Please note it says: "Safe," switch the safety next time :)

Stiletto 036 is now on the server, for all maps... it's a big update.

Change log 035/036

0. Version 035 was a test release for a bunch of systems and has been folded into the general release of 036.
1. Added custom weather system: players should note changes to prevailing clouds, rain, wind, fog, lightning and wave height. Default is random, but new lobby parameter supports Rainy or Sunny weather presets.
2. Fixed issue with mission control not showing active missions. (For staff: bugged missions can be aborted by clicking the "Abort mission" button underneath the list of missions)
3. Fixed issue with being prone occasionally throwing player out of zoomed in (optics) view. Being prone, and rolling, no longer assaults your stamina.
4. Added ability to take leadership of group you join as team leader (though hopefully, this shouldn't be necessary as changes were made to make dynamic groups more efficient, and you should automatically be made team leader).
5. Fixed static MG emplacements for more placement reliability.
6. Fixed Find Nuclear bomb mission so bunker is placed on level ground.
7. Update to vehicle listings for additional spawnable vehicles (forward compatible with planned vehicle updates - AV8B).
8. Update to vehicle service pads to accommodate VTOL vehicles (can now be serviced at both plane and helicopter pads. Still spawn at helicopter pads).
9. Fixed instances in missions completing early or without player interaction.
10. ACE medical actions are now logged in the player's RPT file, and the player receiving the treatment receives a hint regarding the treatment performed.
11. Added vibration sound for when text message is received.
12. Revisions to quickload/quicksave system using more modern commands.
13. Added remote view television for bored players in player spawns. Static view on television is a bit buggy (won't change properly) but fullscreen mode will work properly. Move any direction to get out of fullscreen view.
14. Removed role change timeout; tweaked methodology in dynamic groups to improve stability.
15. Forward compatibility added for ACE 3.12 (modules deprecated, CBA settings enabled for compatibility)
16. Moved main base on Altis from Selakano to AAC Airfield.
17. Removed respawning of mission-spawned vehicles in base; saves a loop to improve performance, and not as crucial as players are spawning their own vehicles anyway.
18. Spawned Ground vehicles with miniguns now use RHS miniguns.
19. Fixes for dynamic groups, as well a new command to reset the groups has been implemented for staff (it's available as a two-part control in the 'Text Messages' dialog screen. Why text messages? Because when it gets bugged, you can't spawn the Group management dialog).
20. Revised the default loadouts for USMC Woodland.
21. Tweaks to arsenal contents.
22. Vehicle de-spawn enabled, you can now de-spawn an accidentally spawned vehicle, or heavily damaged vehicle (staff may de-spawn any vehicle on the pad).

9 hours ago, J0hnson said:

I'm intrigued to see how often Logi and FOBs are used after this, I hope they still are.

The move to the AAC Airfield makes transit to the western and central part of the map a bit easier, but anything on the eastern side of the island is still a trek, and I don't think it's so centrally located as to reduce the use of FOBs.

Malden 036
Yesterday I played something like 2 hours (ingame time was around 17:00) and I observed the following weather changes:

Clear sky => light rain => heavy rain => no rain but cloudy => light rain => heavy rain => no rain => (and this transition took about 1 minute) => whiteout level fog => normal fog => No fog, relatively clear => very clouded

Seems a bit too many changes in such a short period of time to me.  And it was rather tricky to find where to land at base at a certain moment.  

Malden 036 BAF desert:
BAF service menu was enabled.  Meaning that I could refuel rearm and repair my heli/jet in not a lot less but still less time than if I'd have to use the service pad.

Stiletto version 037 is now online with some small fixes (for all maps).

CHANGE LOG 037
1. Fixes to destroy cache missions in relation to task not completing.
2. Tweaks to mine placement to make them less deadly to OPFOR forces.
3. Further tweaks to dynamic groups for team colors and leadership assignment.

51 minutes ago, Stanhope said:

Could we limit the amount of AOs to 2 or 3?  There were 4 just now ( 037 bozcaada)  and my fps refused to go above 7

There were actually five, with two or three others trying to spawn in, according to ShadowAce who was in Zeus at the time.

So I hope to address the issue in 038. The problem relates to how the arma server engine can be so overloaded in the course of its regular housekeeping duties that it doesn't have enough juice left over to manage the creation of new missions properly. 

A more detailed explanation: there's an upper cap of 3 missions built in to the mission for performance reasons. However Stiletto checks the number of open tasks to determine how many missions are active. The way a mission (in versions up to 037) works is to spawn all the mission assets, then create the task. Since a big part of mission creation is finding proper places for units to spawn (ie, don't spawn infantry in the sea, and vehicles on a rock) this is somewhat computationally expensive. And if the server has lots of units to manage, there's little processing power left over to find those locations. 

A loop runs every 30 seconds to determine if the maximum number of missions has been reached, and whether a new one should be spawned. If the mission can't be spawned and the task generated in that 30 second window, Stiletto will assume we are still shy a mission, and launch another one. This just ties up the server even more, leading towards a cascading fail. 

In 038, the missions will determine the mission location, spawn the task, and then start spawning in units. It's not my preferred method, as this can potentially mean that players enter an AO before all the enemy assets have fully spawned in. But I think this will probably be the minority of cases.

For people interested in coding for arma, you should take note that it's quandaries like these which can occupy a significant amount of time, but finding creative solutions to these problems can be very rewarding. 

- R

It's not really a bug but it's too small for a feature request in my opinion:

STILETTO_ALTIS_01_037.Altis\scripts\vehicle\vehicleSpawnInit.sqf

To be inserted after line 205 (plane spawn foreach):

if ((typeOf _veh == "I_Plane_Fighter_04_F") && (playerFaction in [1021, 1022])) then 
        {    _veh setObjectTextureGlobal[0, 'a3\air_f_jets\plane_fighter_04\data\Fighter_04_fuselage_01_co.paa'];
            _veh setObjectTextureGlobal[1, 'a3\air_f_jets\plane_fighter_04\data\Fighter_04_fuselage_02_co.paa'];
        };

It'd put the grey camo on gryphons instead of the digital green one. (only when we're BAF)

For comparison:
57AD0FC9DA51615477FCE9A553576F4EE44CC30F

Stiletto has been updated to version 038.

CHANGE LOG 038
1. Updated arsenal contents for RHS update
2. Tweaks to missions to prevent the Stiletto engine from spawning too many missions.
3. Tweaks to dynamic groups.
4. Added a few more building types for cache mission spawning.
5. Ported Stiletto to Tembelan and Kunduz.
6. Tweaked how show/hide civilian map tensions work to prevent spontaneous removal of area markers.
7. Tweaked Defend Town mission to make it more entertaining.

(I'll probably put your suggestion into the next version @Stanhope)

2 hours ago, Stanhope said:

Stratis 037:

That's an oldie.

I haven't seen that sort of bug since my ArmA 2 days, or at least ArmA 3 Alpha. Then again, it's not been that foggy most time's I've played let alone on hilly terrain that usually causes this.

Weather's now handled in a custom script I built because ACE weather doesn't deal with lightning, fog and wave height.

At the beginning of the mission a few random variables are assigned, though these can be overridden by parameter (there are currently rainy and sunny options that force the variable one way or the other).  Specifically, stilettoCloud is randomized and modified based on the latitude of the world and whether it's night or day (in my script it tends to rain more during the day than at night). stilettoCloud translates directly to BIS' overcast variable: if it's 0.7 or higher, it's capable of raining. The fog is randomized based on stilettoCloud, but it's possible to get foggy days with or without clouds.

The other value that's randomly generated is the time between weather changes: minimum 5 minutes, maximum of 40 minutes: it's influenced by the latitude of the world. A loop runs within this time interval, modifying the wind / fog / cloud / rain / waveheight / lightning based on randomly generated forecast values. At the end of the period, a new transition time is generated, and new weather forecasts are generated.

Specifically about fog: the way BIS does it is incredibly efficient, which means it's not incredibly realistic, and you can get scenarios as presented, but thankfully they're relatively rare.

Stiletto 039 has been uploaded onto the server with a number of fixes. Tembelan and Kunduz are now in the default rotation as maps #1 and #2 respectively.

CHANGE LOG 039
1. Updated arsenal contents for new (renamed) TFAR radios
2. Updated method for calling CBA settings (server based); removed legacy ACE modules
3. Tweak to VCOM AI: AI will no longer try to steal empty vehicles (I'm a bit sad about this as it did lead to interesting situations with player vehicles, but ultimately better as AI had a tendency to jump into civilian vehicles for no good reason)
4. Revised initial spawn mechanic so players spawn at main base to address issue where players are unable to select initial spawn point. I'm sorry if this breaks your immersion, but without knowing what the cause is, this should address the core issue.
5. Updated ambient AI routines to reflect that new ACE medical does not convert player to civilian side.
6. Updated civilian rebellion script to affect only actual civilians and not mission assets or OPFOR.
7. Tweak to rescue pilots endgame mission, no longer need to destroy helicopter to advance to next phase of mission
8. Added ACE self-interaction to allow players to lock & unlock personal (worn) backpack.
9. Added 2 new missions: destroy radio jamming outpost and deploy communications array. These are both randomly spawned missions.
10. Fixed a typo in OPFOR definitions that prevented certain anti-air assets from spawning.
11. Increased Logi spawn gradient to 8 degrees (you can now spawn assets on slightly less flat terrain).
12. Removed 16 zeus modules: should improve mission load time, and would be very rare we have 16 zeus users at one time.

US Army no longer spawns the M-ATV. (This is a modern, realistic vehicle and I don't see a reason to remove it) Issue was found on Kunduz.

Bunch of TFAR issues not really worth addressing I'm sure you already know of them.

Tembelan isn't configured for organic terrain, Enemies run through rocks and hide inside them plus foliage isn't as concealed as it should be but minor issues considering how good the map seems to be.

Kunduz suffers from bad FPS when looking directly at the floor or in certain directions, issue is only persistent for certain players at certain times. Additionally the AO's on Kunduz are not in the areas they are marked in.

Rally Points seem to be very on and off, sometimes they work whereas many times they don't.

Stiletto 040 is now on server.

CHANGE LOG 040
1. Changed zeus spawning methodology (zeus modules are now created on the fly instead of in predefined modules, thus remaining zeus modules removed)
2. Deploy Rally point functionality tweaked: now offers a 30 minute spawn time, followed by a 15 minute cooldown.
3. Map location generation will attempt to reduce the number of hostile zones to improve server performance.
4. Enemy units that spawn in hostile towns will be removed with civilians when players leave the town zone (previously, they were left behind to be a threat, but this impacted on server performance)
5. Tweak to map location generation; slightly improved chance that initially created civilian zones' status will be known.
6. Tweak to Deploy Communications Array mission to produce Hold Action on the cargo box (it has to be landed within 15 metres of the task location)
7. Try again to stabilize team colours.
8. Added M-ATV armed and unarmed variants to US Army faction vehicles (was not previously in the Army vehicle list)

Stiletto 041 is now on the server: the big change is a reversion to TFAR 0.9.12.

CHANGE LOG 041
1. Reverted to TFAR 0.9.12 configuration.
2. Fixes to deploy comm array mission. You just need to place the cargo container in the area and the next phase of the mission will automatically begin. The box is now properly loadable in ground vehicles provided they have 8 ACE cargo spaces.
3. Tweaks to OPFOR AI vehicle deployment to prevent them from blowing up on spawn.
4. AV8B added to helicopter spawn for Marines, SOCOM and BAF forces (just be careful about VTOL takeoff!).
5. Redesigned counterattack mechanic for missions.
6. Changed default player factions on Kunduz (Random BLUFOR) and Malden (Random OPFOR).