Sign in to follow this  
Michal

Parachutists on AWE/Gamenights/MSO

Question

This is a very small request I'm making.

Although enemy AI paratroopers are rare on AWE, I'm suggesting implementing a rule which states that players are not permitted to engage paratroopers. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attacks_on_parachutists

Arma is still only a video game, however it would be nice to implement this rule as it would add something realistic which is present in the real world. Paratroopers are essentially unable to re-engage targets effectively with their rifle. They are 'sitting ducks' to infantry that are shooting them from the ground.  Therefore, rules of engagement on paratroopers should be the same as on a civilian. They pose no active threat as long as they are in the air. The article I linked will include more info on this.

Please take this idea into consideration.

EDIT: My mistake, the rule only applies to pilots/ crewmen ejecting from aircraft in distress- thanks to @Blue-958- for the correction.

This, can still be made a rule on the server, even if the occasion for an enemy AI pilot to eject from his aircraft is rare on Gauntlet missions.

Thanks,

Michal

7 answers to this question

I see.

It still applies to pilots from enemy aircraft and crewmen though, right?

Edit: I've corrected the topic.

A rule about enemy pilots would still be nice to implement.

Apologies.

2 minutes ago, Blue-958- said:

The law does not apply to armed paratroopers, only to people parachuting from an aircraft in distress.

This... The idea is that armed paratroopers will become a threat the moment they land, so they may be considered combatants and be engaged freely. That's why hot LZ drops are (almost) never done anymore...

Then to add to the pilot parachuting from a downed aircraft:

- Under his canopy, he is considered in distress. Once he lands, he will be detained, partially because of laws and treaties concerning such situations, mostly because a living prisoner is always worth more than a dead enemy.

- If he grabs a weapon upon landing, he becomes a combatant and can be engaged as one.

- If he is still coming down, takes out his sidearm (or any other weapon) and starts shooting, he is no longer considered "in distress" but can be engaged like any other active threat.

To be fair, avoiding collateral is in the ruleset, put there largely because some players developed some GTA-like tendencies.

Shooting at aircrew suspended below canopies isn't something I've seen happen on AWE though.

On 2/8/2017 at 9:14 PM, Michal said:

This is a very small request I'm making.

Although enemy AI paratroopers are rare on AWE, I'm suggesting implementing a rule which states that players are not permitted to engage paratroopers. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attacks_on_parachutists

Arma is still only a video game, however it would be nice to implement this rule as it would add something realistic which is present in the real world. Paratroopers are essentially unable to re-engage targets effectively with their rifle. They are 'sitting ducks' to infantry that are shooting them from the ground.  Therefore, rules of engagement on paratroopers should be the same as on a civilian. They pose no active threat as long as they are in the air. The article I linked will include more info on this.

Please take this idea into consideration.

EDIT: My mistake, the rule only applies to pilots/ crewmen ejecting from aircraft in distress- thanks to @Blue-958- for the correction.

This, can still be made a rule on the server, even if the occasion for an enemy AI pilot to eject from his aircraft is rare on Gauntlet missions.

Thanks,

Michal

You are not the only one misunderstanding that topic. I recall when I was in the army, many thought that you should wait to they land, before you could shoot at them.

Shuenix

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts