AWE Training Polls

Greetings one and all!

As the newest member of the AWE training team, I'm looking to try to get a bit of insight here.

I want to try to shape these training sessions to what you, the community need and want.

First off, a poll on how you'd like training to be conducted:

http://www.strawpoll.me/13530101

Then another on topics:

http://www.strawpoll.me/13530137

The second poll is multiple choice, so pick as many as you feel are important! From there we can try to work out where we're going and what needs to be done to allow you all to get the best experience possible from AWE and gauntlet.

We don't need to train basic piloting. If you can't land a helicopter or take off then you really should never think of being a pilot on EU1 let alone on Enhanced. Not trying to be rude but flying isn't something you can teach or teach easily. You don't need a training session for it, editor works, wasteland works. Just don't spend hours teaching them how to do something when they can teach themselves. For example, you cant self teach a convoy, AI will never do what you want them to. However since piloting involves only the player they can teach themselves, and also you can download a transporting mission on the editor which is how I learned.

5 minutes ago, McKillen said:

We don't need to train basic piloting. If you can't land a helicopter or take off then you really should never think of being a pilot on EU1 let alone on Enhanced. Not trying to be rude but flying isn't something you can teach or teach easily. You don't need a training session for it, editor works, wasteland works. Just don't spend hours teaching them how to do something when they can teach themselves. For example, you cant self teach a convoy, AI will never do what you want them to. However since piloting involves only the player they can teach themselves, and also you can download a transporting mission on the editor which is how I learned.

I agree, and it's something we've discussed at length - but I feel that giving people a base and some ground to work on will be beneficial to them teaching themselves. Throwing someone with no experience and no help into the editor isn't all that productive. From this lesson we don't intend to create pilots, but rather start them on the way of teaching themselves by letting them know what is expected of a competent pilot. That should help soften some of the frustration people are feeling at the moment.

10 minutes ago, BloodInTheSand said:

From this lesson we don't intend to create pilots, but rather start them on the way of teaching themselves by letting them know what is expected of a competent pilot.

As @Origins just wisely said "You can't teach everything to fly, you can't teach all fish how to fly". Also, a ten minute video on youtube will also show you how to teach yourself how to fly, take Dslyecxi's videos. Watch them then practice and its a done deal.

*Not trying to be an ass just my opinion :)

Just now, McKillen said:

As @Origins just wisely said "You can't teach everything to fly, you can't teach all fish how to fly". Also, a ten minute video on youtube will also show you how to teach yourself how to fly, take Dslyecxi's videos. Watch them then practice and its a done deal.

True again, but that also doesn't leave much room to ask questions. If someone wants to know how to do something in particular, then a short lesson that can help answer is welcome in my books. 

But I appreciate your criticism of the suggestions, it's why the polls were put together in the first place - to find out what people think is important.

Just now, Noah_Hero said:

In my opinion the best trainings to offer are the very basic trainings because these ones are actually needed to be able to play properly and therefore get new guys up to the standart we want them on in an easy way.:)

Oh definitely, but there's also no harm in helping people to be better at what they already do!

1 minute ago, BloodInTheSand said:

True again, but that also doesn't leave much room to ask questions. If someone wants to know how to do something in particular, then a short lesson that can help answer is welcome in my books. 

Asking someone for help is what you guys, the vets and staff are for. Many players including myself have spent many hours in the editor learning, and that was before the Virtual Training environment, and furthermore missions and scenarios made my BI and players to learn this stuff. In addition to that, i get the need for teaching people important information, such as proper radio comms, formations and fire orders; just to name a few. where as flying isn't an intergral part of AWE, and infy training is.

Just now, BloodInTheSand said:

Oh definitely, but there's also no harm in helping people to be better at what they already do!

Maybe do a night where it is advertised as for all players, one for new players, one for more experienced players. That way people don't come up to a training and get bored and mess around instead of paying attention. That way people who are long time players and have good knowledge don't hop in a game night for newer players. Also, maybe before the training do a full reboot. That way people don't stick around during the training waiting for people to be finished with it so that they can play. Maybe make it to were if you aren't taking part in the training you ain't on the server 

3 minutes ago, McKillen said:

Maybe do a night where it is advertised as for all players, one for new players, one for more experienced players. That way people don't come up to a training and get bored and mess around instead of paying attention. That way people who are long time players and have good knowledge don't hop in a game night for newer players. Also, maybe before the training do a full reboot. That way people don't stick around during the training waiting for people to be finished with it so that they can play. Maybe make it to were if you aren't taking part in the training you ain't on the server 

The finer details are all in the works. We're in the process of working out what sort of topics and sessions people are interested in. From there we can put together the materials and work out exactly how to execute it from there. Each session will be communicated in advance with how it's going to run, and each topic will run slightly differently to show it in the best way possible.

I, personally, would like to cover a topic then demonstrate it during that session with a small zeus mission. 

One covering a team working within a small town and rescuing people from buildings while clearing them to demonstrate CQB - an armored assault in a reasonably open area to help with launchers etc etc.

But that's all in the works for now, appreciate the suggestion.

19 minutes ago, McKillen said:

Maybe make it to were if you aren't taking part in the training you ain't on the server 

The last few times the vets and other long time players used the training time to do our own thing, for example we played with some launchers and the F18s. As long as it doesn't get in the way of whatever the newbies are doing then I don't see the problem.

1 minute ago, Blue-958- said:

As long as it doesn't get in the way of whatever the newbies are doing then I don't see the problem.

Could be distracting if done too close. If I was getting talking to and was looking at an F18 in the background flying around, I definitely know which one would look more appealing. But then again thats me and my 10 second attention span, put a penny in front of me and I'm distracted

2 minutes ago, Blue-958- said:

The last few times the vets and other long time players used the training time to do our own thing, for example we played with some launchers and the F18s. As long as it doesn't get in the way of whatever the newbies are doing then I don't see the problem.

It has worked in the past. Sort of.

I must admit, there was one time where I got thoroughly annoyed because everyone got teleported to where the training was being held and it sorta-kinda caused us to end that training faster than I'd have liked.

We've always insisted on doing it with supervision though, and we have in the past had helicopters fly what we considered to be too close to the training, causing distractions and sometimes a course to not run properly.

Personally, I've been a proponent of locking the server down entirely and only letting trainees in, for those reasons.

57 minutes ago, McKillen said:

All for doing some smaller scale side training sessions on basic and advanced piloting for those who want it. Obviously an entire server training session for piloting doesn't need to be devoted with the turnout the past training sessions have had (ie 15-20+ players)

I'd also like to do a short session on ace ballistics for marksmen, to help people understand how to properly zero and account for wind etc.

I'll be doing that on the fly one day - ideally with small groups of people so we can do our own thing without disturbing the mission. 

Please pm me if you're interested and we can try to work out a time and date that suits whoever is interested.

27 minutes ago, BloodInTheSand said:

It was you that taught me the basics that I'll be going back over! 

Well i presume you did learn some new things since i explained that to you right?  And if it's advanced ballistics,advanced ,medical or teamorriented stuff i'm always interested.  

The big question about ACE Advanced ballistics (ACE AB) on AWE is, what modules are actually enabled, and under which conditions is player affected by them.

I heard some mentions (maybe misheard) by some veterans, that ACE AB fully affect only Marksman slot (or perhaps its tied to marksman guns and/or scopes?)

Allegedly - to protect server performance - ACE AB is not fully affecting standard non-marksman slots with "normal" guns. Those are only affected by bullet drop, inclination/declination of a shot and wind.

Full ACE AB does much more: https://ace3mod.com/wiki/feature/advanced-ballistics.html

Any Admin can confirm how is it exactly, who is affected and by what ACE AB features ?

18 minutes ago, kman said:

The big question about ACE Advanced ballistics (ACE AB) on AWE is, what modules are actually enabled, and under which conditions is player affected by them.

I heard some mentions (maybe misheard) by some veterans, that ACE AB fully affect only Marksman slot (or perhaps its tied to marksman guns and/or scopes?)

Allegedly - to protect server performance - ACE AB is not fully affecting standard non-marksman slots with "normal" guns. Those are only affected by bullet drop, inclination/declination of a shot and wind.

Full ACE AB does much more: https://ace3mod.com/wiki/feature/advanced-ballistics.html

Any Admin can confirm how is it exactly, who is affected and by what ACE AB features ?

@Ryko will be the man to ask there.

My understanding is that we don't use full AB for anyone. Some features are either not included or are irrelevant at the distances of our normal engagements.

Little suggestion, Don't have one big crowd listening to the one person, If it were up to me have 2 or 3 smaller groups to have less congestion, For example if it were helo training it is gonna be a mess if there is 20 heli's following just one person. Same can go for ground vehicles, Maybe Infantry is not so much an issue, but it is still somthing to consider.

13 hours ago, kman said:

who is affected

12 hours ago, Amentes said:

and only for Marksmen.

And then only if you are using a high magnification scope. So if you are using an M107 (wich is not available on AWE but I don´t know another good example) with a Red Dot sight you don´t need to worry about them. As soon as you put a sniper scope on top of it the advanced ballistics are enabled.