Pilot/Player Competence

Let it be noted I fervently dislike writing things like this, but as a player and more specifically a veteran, I feel obligated to do so. 

Over the past couple months, I have seen a drastic decrease in organization and coherence on Enhanced due to an influx of newcomers. While, for the first couple weeks, becoming acquainted with the learning curve is to be expected, it is wholly ridiculous for this process to go on for months at a time. Additionally, with the typical process of "learning in the field" rather than through an official training night or a personal training session, vital concepts are being missed, ranging from improper radio use to failing to understand the medical system. Most importantly though, a sense of obeying the command structure is generally left out. 

I would highly recommend new players be required to attend a training night, or a personal session scheduled with an official Enhanced representative (mods, maybe Spartans and veterans) before being permitted to equip any roles that require a somewhat advanced knowledge of the systems in play on the server. How would this be enforced? That's a good question that I don't have an answer for. But is it becoming more and more necessary? Without a doubt, yes. I would be more than willing to volunteer any time I have to help with this process if need be. 

So that covers my little rant about player competence, now let's discuss a case of pilot competence that happened today (20/7/17) on the server. Names will be excluded for privacy.

Most pilots are extremely good at what they do, and I applaud them for the good experiences they help foster on the server. And I do not intend for the following to apply to them. Some, however, desperately need to be dealt with. Today, a player joined while I was piloting. Including him, there were two others on the server. He took the copilot slot. I immediately warned him that he was not allowed to be there; he needed to slot to Alpha. It took up to my fourth warning before he obliged and switched. In that time I was giving him warnings, he went over to the heli maintenance, spawned a helicopter (did not know what it was at the time), hopped in, and nearly took off. Carrying the single Alpha member in my helicopter (I assume the copilot was waiting for his reslot timer to end), I dropped him off to the AO and cleared a majority of the hostiles. After being shot down by a BMP, I disconnected. 

After leaving the server for roughly an hour, I came back and slotted up as an Alpha member. The copilot had switched to Alpha, then back to Vortex when I left. Upon reentering the AO, the pilot flew dangerously high and used autohover for landing, resulting in a nearly-shot-down situation. Upon landing, he continued to sit there for about 10 seconds, before turning his engine off entirely to communicate with Alpha Lead. He did return to base, but not before almost getting shot down again by the BMP due to his slow speed and high flight. Having to attempt landing three times (with that BMP still on him), he repeated this process while bringing in the FSG team. 

While he was making his trips, I notice something:

Spoiler

20170720122941_1.thumb.jpg.5b6d3334fd1357d6dc8865133abf96b9.jpg

An Apache crash. That unknown helicopter he spawned was a two-seater Apache. During the time I was offline, he one-manned it, and proceeded to fly it into the AO and crash it. 

This was a "set up a comms tower" mission, so once Alpha and Nomad cleared the AO, he began to fly the crate in. Upon entering the vicinity, he was shot down by a BMP due to his once again linear path and slow speed. At that time, he disconnected.

My point here is that:

1. People should know the command structure, and know to obey the slotting rules.
  2. People, especially pilots and other specialty slots, should know proper conduct on the server.
  3. This is not a training server. You should know how to fly properly before touching these more advanced, modded models. 

-----

Once again, I would be more than willing to volunteer to help with training nights to help resolve these issues. Anything I can do to help I'm happy to. I had to put this rant/report out here, not because I wanted to, but because I felt responsible as a person who has a duty to the server and its population to obey the rules and make sure they're followed by others. The things above are beyond unacceptable, and need to be dealt with. 

I am totally on your side and agree with everything you wrote.

I´ve been calling out that new players seem not to know the rules and/or wich slots they should take if they are completely new to all of this for a while now and warned about the server getting too much casual because of this. Yet nearly no one seemed to see this as a real problem so far.

My attempt to solve this so far was that I crusaded on the rules and tried to enforce them as sharp as possible (getting people out of slots they were not allowed to take, etc.), tried to do everything as correct as possible (PROPER Radio Checks, etc.) to keep the server not too much casual and that I left a comment on every new post in the "Introductions" sections that was made by people who obviously wanted to join AWE in wich I explained them how to join and that they must read and understand the rules.

Did this worked out? Not really so far:

• A lot of people still don´t know when to take wich slots. This isn´t a problem at all. But it becomes a problem when they take the slots. I am also not always sure about every requierement but then I´ll always open up the rules and read them! Sadly it seems that this isn´t that common and that even upon older players who just take the slots even if they aren´t sure => New players think that the requierements aren´t important.
  • The small learning session like "how to do a proper fireteam radio Check" (Calling "Radio Check, the own name, the frequency" and doing this one by one in the displayed order of the Shack Tac HUD) were mostly interrupted by players (also including older players) from other fireteams who then were telling the newer players that a radio check don´t have to be like that and that it would be totally enough to just say "Check" => learning session destroyed/new players think that everything can be more casual...way more casual.
  • Even though that I always tell everyone in the introductions section that they should read and understand the rules I don´t think that most of them are actually doing that. Best example: A guy from the Introductions section wanted to be a pilot on AWE and asked me if there were any requierements to hop into any Vortex slot...He also said that he read the rules from the link I sended him before...<_< => When people don´t obey the rules the server will stop being a tacticool/milsim-ish one and become a complete casual one where everyone can do everything (like @ShadowAce11s mentioned Pilot already though it was as it seems)...

I think that a more casual Server would might benefit the playercount but would hurt the real Playerbase a lot and like I already said somewhere else: Quality should always be above Quantity and this is why I think that behaviour like the described one mustn´t be tolerated.

As always best (crusading;)) regards

Noah

I get that Spartans are public only, blah blah blah. But still, I say if you are ANY rank in the community, be it a public moderator or member, even admins etc. That you should take it upon yourself to train people. I know that  @LEO spent a few hours training new people how to use an AT4 as they asked. Also, people complain about the population of the server, which of late is on the rising. We need to help the new players, obviously only if they accept the help, which they should. Not only should it be the veterans, but everyone should help the new players out, we aren't going to grow much if people just call the new player bad and get annoyed at him. He's just going to leave. If they are ignorant like in this case then by all means, tell them to leave. Players shouldn't do something because they want to become popular or staff, it should be done so that EU3 can grow and get bigger so we can get more of those awesome zeus missions. What could be done is that we could maybe introduce something so that newer players have to go through so many hours of basic infantry playtime then be allowed to take a more advanced role like Vortex or Angel. Just my opinion though :) 

I have to agree, I have never seen anyone say no when asked to help understand/get a hang of something on AWE, even, often I see people offering to help themselves. It's just that in my stay in the community I have seen two or three people actually ask for help. I see a little more people agree to helped, but as Amentes said, very often people are simply too proud, and don't even agree to be helped / taught something.

Sent from my SM-G935F using a phone app that is really irritating because it constantly advertises itself.

Continuation, rebuttals, etc. below. I was trying to type the above as quick as possible so I'd make it to work on time.

The reason why I bring up the matter of official personnel is because new players (at least, if they were me) would be more keen on obeying the lessons taught by those you should not ignore. If a player with just a member tag or no tag at all tells a newcomer what they can and can't do, that may be received as condescending, overly strict, and rude. And if the new player is like me, they'd just pretend not to hear the advice and keep doing their thing. While it is always nice to see everybody pitching in with following the rules, I think everybody can agree that receiving a reprimand from a staff member or veteran is a better reason to follow the rules than a member or guest saying "Hey, you can't do that".

This is something I mulled over for a couple hours while at work: I'd like to propose that the main Arma 3 Modded channel (the main channel that holds all channels for AWE, EU6, and A3 Custom) become password protected, with the password being added at the end of, or encoded within (this option pls), the rules (or the basic introduction). So for those of you who were here when we used ACRE, essentially that setup. This way, players are required to read the rules in-depth and get a basic understanding before even gaining access to the channel. Of course, TFAR just drags you straight in once you get on the server, but if there's some way to block that unless you have the key, that would be great. 

It's a fault on experienced players, too, that people don't learn as fast as they should. I hold a lot of that on my shoulders. Once you're on the server for so long, everything just becomes second nature; and suddenly anybody who doesn't know the systems, new or not, becomes this subgroup of inept players who should just leave the server and come back when they're more acquainted. The pilot I wrote about is a perfect example; rather than trying to help him through anything he might have been wondering about, I just turned my nose up and complained. And if that attitude isn't challenged, it makes the veteran more harmful to the server than the newcomer. 

While the following is a weak counter argument, it's a counter argument nonetheless: experienced players like me have no obligation to stalk the playerbase of the server and keep tabs on who is new, and so we don't. In the case of the pilot I described, I've only seen him on the server for a couple hours in total. In my eyes, he's completely new. But, my schedule is not aligned with his, and I may miss countless hours of him playing while I'm away or at work. To others, he might be a pro, but to me, he's just taking his first steps. And people rarely mention if they are new, so I usually default to thinking they've been on the server for a while and should be fully acquainted with the systems. When they don't return on that expectation, it's irritating. In short, I'm saying there's a massive lack of communication that leads to condescension. If that is cleared up, I would really hope the relations between specifically the veterans and newcomers will improve. 

5 hours ago, ShadowAce11 said:

receiving a reprimand from a staff member or veteran is a better reason to follow the rules than a member or guest saying "Hey, you can't do that".

That´s why I always directly quote from the rules. Most people will then believe me that they might be doing something wrong and change their behaviour. If not I just directly ask a Moderator/Admin to also "explain" the rules to them (preferably someone like @Copey who can be very "convincingly").

5 hours ago, ShadowAce11 said:

It's a fault on experienced players, too, that people don't learn as fast as they should.

To be honest I don´t agree with that. If you want help you can always ask anybody and they will help you. When I was new for example I basically always asked everybody on everything that I couldn´t learn through the guides or when I wasn´t sure about a rule. I´ve never met someone who wasn´t willing to help me or explain everything to me. For example @Amentes was even willing to teach me a bit of how to use the MAAWS when I was a complete new random who never touched that thing before and therefore had no idea on how to use that!

So when it comes to my case the veterans and other more experienced players did everything perfect wich means that in my opinion it´s the new players fault when their learning curve is so bad and that they either have to ask for help or to improve their skill on their own. If both isn´t happening they can feel free to play somewhere else until they are willing to learn.

Just a tip from me. DON'T use auto-hover... ever... (unless perhaps you need to stay steady for a pinnacle landing or standing by at an IP.)

There's no reason for flying in ArmA 3 to be difficult, it's really rather quite easy once you get used to using your keyboard and mouse together efficiently, but I do see a lot of pilots using auto-hover.

Auto-hover has a magnitude of problems with little to no reward, the largest problems faced are the fact that turning it on mid-flight will cause the nose to fly up and drastic slowing down will cause the helicopter to gain altitude which will slow down the landing process. Another large problem is the fact that auto-hover deletes your ability to maneuver, so if there is an obstacle below you or perhaps if you start taking heavy fire, you're pretty fucked.

I'd say, depending on speed, once you are 2km's out from the LZ, enter level flight. Once you are 1-1.5km out, go ahead and gently pull back on your stick while holding down the collective, this will slow down the helicopter while keeping it in level flight or letting it descend slowly. Once you are 300-500m out from the LZ, stay in level flight at a low altitude and find your landing zone, once you catch contact on it then call the ball and put that sucker down. Easy peasy.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that Auto-Hover kills 5000 people every day okay I lied but you get the point.

Additionally, "wave off" means get the fuck out of dodge just fyi, if someone calls it out then just break off. Better to be safe then sorry, especially when those on the ground have a better idea of what's going on then you.

7 hours ago, ShadowAce11 said:

become password protected, with the password being added at the end of, or encoded within (this option pls), the rules

We had this during our time with ACRE. People who didn't care about the rules didn't read them anyway, just skipped to the end. It's not a viable solution.

That's why I suggested it be encoded. Like, a letter in bold here, a letter in bold there. Piece them together at the end to get the password. Maybe people would still skim through, but at least they wouldn't be able to go straight to the end.

I personally think it's time to put another training night together. An evening where we can all practice, and people can get the help they need. I don't think this should be overly specific either.

A group of people who're experienced and willing to help with whatever people need help with.

As a veteran I'd like to think I know most of what there is to know, at least to a basic extent. I might not know the intricacies of everything but I'd like to think I know enough about most things to be competent at them - and that's knowledge I think many of us hold and would like to pass on to streamline everyone's experience, as well as make it more enjoyable.

I still struggle to play on AWEU3 and always try to get pointers during my short session there.

If players can go through the following:

1. Visit forums for guide
  2. Install ARMA3Sync
  3. Connect to repository
  4. Download 18GB of mods
  5. Install TFAR on TS
  6. Grab the AWE password
  7. Play on AWEU3

To ignore somebody who has to repeatedly tell U to follow procedures, shows that U completely disregard the server's rules.

Maybe we can share names of ignorant players between the regular AWE players to be on a lookout should they connect? My 2 cents.

1 listening to all sides is a major prerequisite for any improvement (and not any personal vendetta)

2 the truth also

3 "warnings" instead of teaching him something about advanced models flight characteristics / AO veteran approach tactics etc obviously didn't improve anything

4 as  a "veteran",  getting shot down by a BMP (not an AA asset) didn't teach the kid by example much either, disconnecting right after the "wrong doing" (avoiding thus any kind of responsibility) taught him even less and he picked up on it, behaving exactly the same way later, once himself got shot down

5 after 1h , finding the desired slot taken by the kid and starting a "personal vendetta", still not giving him any advice but continuously looking for evidence of wrong doing (even while you were offline!?!) while he was trying to play his role and do his job of flying people and equipment wasn't helpful at all. You did not want to teach the kid anything at that moment, you just stood there watching him fail, that's the truth. "Tacticool, milsim-ish" = we don't just watch friendlies fail and die, right ?

6 make an objective, transparent, tough test, like a pilot's license, everyone takes it if wants to be certified and allowed to fly, once the pilot gets his license then all trolling and picking on must be completely stopped

7 judging an idea based 100% on the issuer and not the content is a major lack of "professionalism and focus on improvements"

plan B :"Kid i see you would like to fly. In this server we have strict rules about slotting and advanced flight model assets. If you want to learn i could teach you a lot at x o clock on the x of July if you desire , because the server is usually empty then"

plan C:"Kid i see you would like to fly. In this server we have strict rules about slotting and advanced flight model assets. But i am sure, given that the server is almost empty, nobody would truly mind  a veteran taking a kid as co-pilot and teaching him something useful. Hop in as co-pilot for 10 min, but not more, because the rules must still be enforced here"

etc.

If he refuses and still trolls, shoot him in the head, report him and perma-ban him like the worst kind of traitors deserve.

just the little devil's advocate point of view  (overemphatic, against the tide, lacking omnibenevolence, omnisciently delusional, suicidely non dogmatic, indisputably black sheep-ish) ...

On 21/07/2017 at 3:16 PM, fir_nev said:

Maybe we can share names of ignorant players between the regular AWE players to be on a lookout should they connect? My 2 cents.

Share names of players? No. I don't think spreading around someone's inabilities to everyone is right, and making people feel paranoid to try out roles if they are new. I feel we have it in a good state where a brand new/newer player to AWE can slot into a role without feeling like everyone on the server has their eyes on them for any slip up or error they make. You can always mention it to other players that someone may be inexperienced, but how you mentioned it sounded a bit more organised than that.

On 20/07/2017 at 8:09 PM, Noah_Hero said:

Quality should always be above Quantity

Politely, I disagree with you there @Noah_Hero.

I completely understand that when someone has a lack of understanding of their role and is proving detrimental to the mission, it is frustrating. But locking AWE behind training sessions or refusing players from selecting specific roles turns it into a private milsim community. AWE IS a public server. There isn't - and there shouldn't - be something stopping anyone taking what they choose. Although we are more 'closed' than I&A through the TS, modset/repo, etc etc, we aren't private, and we don't vet our players.

New dude is doing a poor job of their role? Frequent player is doing a poor job of their role? So. What. It isn't a requirement to know your shit. We actively promote and seek to help people learn on this server, but we never tell someone they have to attend a meeting or training session before they can begin playing. Quality shouldn't always be above Quantity. Save that for other Milsim groups, or push that behaviour and ruling for the MSO, I don't know.

I get it that a dude crashing a heli or wasting resources is annoying when you're playing. But ultimately, it's a mission that will last about 30 mins, then there is a new one, or the map changes. There is no permanent repercussion for them not playing right. You tell them if they're doing something wrong, offer help, potentially advise them to take a different role, or you inform an admin if they're pissing around. I feel we do a good job of helping people improve, but blocking players from roles because they're not good at it is not what this server is about.

3 hours ago, Kingfisher said:

Share names of players? No. I don't think spreading around someone's inabilities to everyone is right, and making people feel paranoid to try out roles if they are new. I feel we have it in a good state where a brand new/newer player to AWE can slot into a role without feeling like everyone on the server has their eyes on them for any slip up or error they make. You can always mention it to other players that someone may be inexperienced, but how you mentioned it sounded a bit more organised than that.

Agreed. If we do this we're just becoming a network of Big Brothers. Don't think any new person would take kindly to superiors always watching over his/her shoulder.

But locking AWE behind training sessions or refusing players from selecting specific roles turns it into a private milsim community. AWE IS a public server. There isn't - and there shouldn't - be something stopping anyone taking what they choose.

Big objections to this here. Personally, I would classify AWE as private; or at minimum, exclusive. I say this because most players, unless they're serious about joining, would not usually put in the effort to go through the mod/repo installation and familiarize themselves with the rules and systems of the server. In short, it's not private because the staff chooses to make it, but because it takes more dedication and patience than regular servers.

Secondly, yes, there should definitely be stopping anyone from taking what they choose, that's why we have the server slotting rules.

If individuals prove, time after time, that they are incapable of handling the slot they choose, either some sort of assistance should be given or they should be postponed from the role (for how long would likely be the staff's jurisdiction). Else, they will continue dragging the team down and ruining others' experience.

But ultimately, it's a mission that will last about 30 mins, then there is a new one, or the map changes. There is no permanent repercussion for them not playing right.

No permanent repercussions, correct. But something should be done ASAP to help the player improve or else immersion-breaking things like one-manning and crashing Apaches will be seen by the newcomer as "eh, I can just spawn another one in." Get enough people with that mindset and the whole concept of a serious milsim vanishes.

11 hours ago, Kingfisher said:

Quality shouldn't always be above Quantity

So you´d like it more to play together with only 4 other experienced players (maybe/probably spread across all the fireteams) on the server and with 30 new players (wich means that probably every AO turns into an I&A style one and everything gets constantly fucked up because nearly no one knows what to do, etc.) then to play only with these four other experienced players in a fireteam with no one else on the server (wich means that every AO can be done so fu*king smooth as silk since everyone knows what to do, etc)? :blink:

Because this is what you are saying (should = must if possible => Quality shouldn´t always be above Quantity <=> Quality musn´t always be above Quantity if possible) and I really can´t imagine that you´d like this style of gameplay because otherwise you´d just be fine with just playing I&A together with a few experienced ones and wouldn´t need AWE.:lol:

Quality judgement without objectivity (tests) and metrics is like chasing your own tail.

What is a good "quality", "experienced" player 500h, 1000h, 2000h, 10,000h , 100,000h; or is it no. of kills, or no. of successful landings, or no. of AOs without getting killed, no. of complex minefields deployed, miles driven without hitting any rocks, no. of correctly applied quickclots , dBs of laughter when you miss-throw a nade ?

Whom i like is not "quality" is love <3. And one must be a hell of a stud to love 30 ppl at a time.

*play Op Flashpoint again to re-discover the true spirit of ARMA ! The character was always fighting alongside people he didn't know, strangers he didn't know whether to trust or not, always outnumbered and outgunned, always questioning himself, the plan, the others, always geared with anything he could get  his hands on, always having partial or no intel about what was going on. The atmosphere created  was "real". The plot got thicker with every mission. There was always something deeper, something looming  beyond the mission, beyond the war, it perfectly related to the era the game was portraying, to 50 years of daily reality in people's lives in E. Europe. That made the game special and unique among thousand others. It is an art form to transpose that in a multiplayer environment but since it can only be done in coop mode and given the number of artistically inclined people in here i think you could be the first to truly do that, if only ...*

ps

Spoiler

It has become common place here to frown upon I&A for being chaotic, not tactical, played by idiots because it is "public" . Well, it is not everywhere the case, I&A can be played very tacticool , all vanilla com channels properly used, squads communicating, rules being enforced strongly but calmly and politely, people waiting in a line to optimize chopper boarding, the likes of which is yet to be seen even in EU#3, the arsenal blacklist/role eliminated any discussion about gear, etc. I have seen this,  to my surprise ... A smart system in place made all "idiots" play very high "quality" tactically together...

18 hours ago, ShadowAce11 said:

In short, it's not private because the staff chooses to make it, but because it takes more dedication and patience than regular servers.

Dedication does not imply competence. However, it does imply perseverance in an effort to get involved, evolve and improve, yet there must still be an opportunity to do so which we, as a community, have to offer unequivocally to anyone who does indeed make the effort to download mods, join TS and hop on. We're exclusive in the way that we facilitate a play style rarely found on open servers, but we're still public and do not resent anyone's attendance by default.

We cannot choose who joins us, but we can choose to welcome them.

9 hours ago, Noah_Hero said:

So you´d like it more to play together with only 4 other experienced players (maybe/probably spread across all the fireteams) on the server and with 30 new players [...] then to play only with these four other experienced players in a fireteam with no one else on the server [...]? :blink:

Yes. Yes, I would.

Surmise that all of those 30 new players are in fact of lower quality, because that is what this thread posits as truth. Then assume that that fireteam's worth of veterans take leading roles, which means they hold sway over every decision of consequence. Your ideal player is now responsible for the fluidity of the mission and because they're perfect, they lead perfectly as well. As such, the thirty randoms under their command are employed optimally, meaning you have the concerted force of a platoon's worth of assets plus attachments, far outshining anything a black-clad spec-ops team can do.

So far for the horrible conjecture. If anything, this should illustrate that any veteran worth their salt is a force multiplier in any element they join -- their guidance is far more important than their marksmanship or sector security.

All that said, the basic premise this topic drifted off to is skewed.

What you experience is a classic negativity and subsequent confirmation bias. You have a huge data set, but the terrible experiences will always stick out more and because they're so annoying, it's tempting to look for proof that most things are in fact horrible as a result.

The average player is not stupid. The average player is average.

There is one in twenty that sticks out when they crash helicopters, teamkill, troll or otherwise fail to perform. The nineteen others who do their jobs and have a great time with you are ignored because they're deemed normal.

If you are uncomfortable or unsatisfied with what is the average, you are very welcomed to get up and communicate your ideals to the playerbase at large. Talk with them, not just at them.

Our players are already shifted towards the positive end of the bell curve due to the nature of our mods and what they impose. I promise they're just as eager as you are and you'll quickly notice how utterly normal skill can be.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know whether this has been previously said, But probably the best way to learn to fly helicopters is in the Virtual Arsenal or Editor. This way you can learn how to fly without it being on a public server.

Another thing that someone could probably do is jump onto one of the servers and maybe ask someone to run them through what they do, I have seen a few people do this and the people they were asking were happy to help, It never hurts to ask.

I personally would be happy to help anyone with anything if they come and speak to me.

Run the vanilla Helicopter scenarios until they are piss easy for you; then go to steam workshop and find a failure state practice scenario.

Use that scenario to train tail rotor loss and autorotation in different sizes of aircraft.

Once you feel competent at those two failure states, start flying transport on I&A or CoPilot on AWE.

There are many roads, but that would be my suggestion.