New OPFOR Factions for AWE

Is it planned to keep the factions specific to the map? The PLA would be a welcome enemy on Kerama, for example, whereas the MEC would be horribly out of place. Might help ever so slightly with immersion. 

I've also heard a decent amount of chatter about switching the sides every so often to avoid the exhaustion of the Brits and Freedombringers (US). Is it planned to make OPFOR-compatible map versions? Usually there's a problem because the base protection screws things up, right?

10 hours ago, ShadowAce11 said:

Is it planned to keep the factions specific to the map

Player and ai factions are decided by mission parameter. These can be changed in the lobby by an admin prior to mission start. A default setting is used for each map, which is map-appropriate.

Usually there's a problem because the base protection screws things up, right?

Eastern or insurgent factions can be selected without being affected by base protection. People generally don't like the opfor factions because either they are unfamiliar with the gear or they think it will take everyone too long to organize their loadouts. It should be noted that the Spetsnatz player faction have access to the npz / b33 an variants which accept all regular optics.

15 hours ago, Ryko said:

The PLA China faction, using their fashionable Type 7 uniforms, vests, helmets and backpacks. They use the QZ95 series of weaponry from APEX.

In this case I'd also give them access to some other weapons. Have some of them carrying KH series weapons or something from one of the mods.

I base this purely on the fact that not everyone has Apex, and if it ever comes time to pick up a weapon from an enemy this could be a problem.