"Advertising" AWE on other AhoyWorld servers.

Hello, as some probably already know, with a few other players we have gotten an idea of placing billboards that promote AWE on Eu 1 and 2. Quite often i see players on those servers that really want more tactical realism/try to do that there. And quite often, when asked about AWE, i find out, they had no idea that it even exists or many answer something along the lines of "yea i heard about it, what is it tho?, like, I&A with 18gb of mods?". 

Therefore, my idea is to make some "tacticool" billboards around the base on Eu1&2 from the great pictures that we have on the forums, promoting, and informing players of the environment AWE offers. I have spoken with a few staff members, and they seem to like the idea, next step is asking @Ryko and the rest of core staff what they think about it, but to do that, having a few billboard projects made, would be useful. I would love it if you posted your favorite pictures from AWE and your ideas of slogans that could make players consider joining, or at least, checking out the "Enhanced" community, in this topic, also, it would be great to hear everybody's ideas and opinions. 

Cheers Miczils
Ps. if you want to take it a step further and make some billboard projects, that would be damn amazing : D .

7 hours ago, Miczils said:

Hello, as some probably already know, with a few other players we have gotten an idea of placing billboards that promote AWE on Eu 1 and 2. Quite often i see players on those servers that really want more tactical realism/try to do that there. And quite often, when asked about AWE, i find out, they had no idea that it even exists or many answer something along the lines of "yea i heard about it, what is it tho?, like, I&A with 18gb of mods?". 

Therefore, my idea is to make some "tacticool" billboards around the base on Eu1&2 from the great pictures that we have on the forums, promoting, and informing players of the environment AWE offers. I have spoken with a few staff members, and they seem to like the idea, next step is asking @Ryko and the rest of core staff what they think about it, but to do that, having a few billboard projects made, would be useful. I would love it if you posted your favorite pictures from AWE and your ideas of slogans that could make players consider joining, or at least, checking out the "Enhanced" community, in this topic, also, it would be great to hear everybody's ideas and opinions. 

Cheers Miczils
Ps. if you want to take it a step further and make some billboard projects, that would be damn amazing : D .

I believe this has been done before on early versions of I&A2 but for some reason it seems they were disbanded for a reason that I am not aware of.

I managed to dig through some of my very old screenshots and I managed to find a few!

Of course the old billboards ( see below ) are very dated, but I am with the idea of updating these to fit in with the more - modern enhanced server.

(The screenshots were taken at 2015-06-30) so a fairly long time ago :P

2015-06-30_00001.jpg

2015-06-30_00007.jpg

2015-06-30_00008.jpg

I still have the gauntlet file with those billboards, so if we could, we can put those back in too.

Im trying to figure out what resolution are the billboards so if anyone has an idea, let me know.

Also @Michal its lovely, il add a cheeky qr code and would work great.

Sent from my SM-G935F using a phone app that is really irritating because it constantly advertises itself.

I think it's about time I say something in here.

Several members of the I&A dev team (including me) have been reading this topic and i must say that we're loving what we're reading.  And we certainly are willing to put some screenshots 'advertising' AWE/EU3 in I&A.  They'd either be put on the larger billboards you can find around spawn or on the smaller ones (or both), we haven't decided on that yet.  

I also have some information concerning the specs of those screenshots as arma doesn't allow us to just put any file type (etc.) on a billboard.
For starter i'd like to point out that those screenshots will have to be put in the mission file and player will have to download them.  So we'd like to have the screenshot not too big.  Also keep in mind that the billboard they'll be displayed on will not be that large so don't worry too much about low quality.  Right now our the pictures that are on the billboards are between 60 and 160 kilobytes.  Now it's not like we're going to deny any screenshot larger than 160kB but try to keep them under 300kB.  
Another restriction arma puts on us is the types of files that it accepts.  Currently (as far as i know) arma will only accept .jpg, .jpeg and .paa files.  (And i'm not 100% sure about the .jpeg.)  Now .paa isn't that common of an extension (again, as far as i know :) ) but the upside is that i can convert files from .png to .paa real quick and easy.  We also prefer .paa (or .png) because arma is know to make .jpg pictures really bright.
As if this all wasn't enough yet arma restricts us even further.  It will only accept files that have a resolution that is of the form 2^x / 2^y.  So 16 / 16, 16 / 32, 64 / 256, 512 / 512, etc.  (Also, but probably not relevant, the maximum supported resolution is 4096x4096)

That's all the limitation i have for you guys.  I can personally work my way around some of them if you guys can't but i'm no photoshop wizard :) 
I also cannot promise that it will be in the next I&A update but i can assure you that if it isn't in the next one it will be in the one after that.

We really appreciate what you guys are doing and we encourage you to keep doing what you're doing.
-stan

Ps: a summary for those making the picture and some other useful info:

Spoiler

File size: preferably around 100kB, no larger than 300kB.
File type: preferably .paa or .png  But .jpg and .jpeg will also work.
Resolution:  2^x / 2^y so 512/512 or 256/512 etc.
Billboards have a 2:1 x/y ratio.

Example of one of the current pictures in I&A:

pilotcaptain.png.e30a7fbffe8223a466e9b8e17b0dc9f9.png
It's a .png because the forum doesn't like .paa :) 
File size: as a .png: 363 kB, as a .paa: 158 kB
Resolution: 512x512

7 minutes ago, Stanhope said:

I think it's about time I say something in here.

Several members of the I&A dev team (including me) have been reading this topic and i must say that we're loving what we're reading.  And we certainly are willing to put some screenshots 'advertising' AWE/EU3 in I&A.  They'd either be put on the larger billboards you can find around spawn or on the smaller ones (or both), we haven't decided on that yet.  

I also have some information concerning the specs of those screenshots as arma doesn't allow us to just put any file type (etc.) on a billboard.
For starter i'd like to point out that those screenshots will have to be put in the mission file and player will have to download them.  So we'd like to have the screenshot not too big.  Also keep in mind that the billboard they'll be displayed on will not be that large so don't worry too much about low quality.  Right now our the pictures that are on the billboards are between 60 and 160 kilobytes.  Now it's not like we're going to deny any screenshot larger than 160kB but try to keep them under 300kB.  
Another restriction arma puts on us is the types of files that it accepts.  Currently (as far as i know) arma will only accept .jpg, .jpeg and .paa files.  (And i'm not 100% sure about the .jpeg.)  Now .paa isn't that common of an extension (again, as far as i know :) ) but the upside is that i can convert files from .png to .paa real quick and easy.  We also prefer .paa (or .png) because arma is know to make .jpg pictures really bright.
As if this all wasn't enough yet arma restricts us even further.  It will only accept files that have a resolution that is of the form 2^x / 2^y.  So 16 / 16, 16 / 32, 64 / 256, 512 / 512, etc.  (Also, but probably not relevant, the maximum supported resolution is 4096x4096)

That's all the limitation i have for you guys.  I can personally work my way around some of them if you guys can't but i'm no photoshop wizard :) 
I also cannot promise that it will be in the next I&A update but i can assure you that if it isn't in the next one it will be in the one after that.

We really appreciate what you guys are doing and we encourage you to keep doing what you're doing.
-stan

Ps: a summary for those making the picture and some other useful info:

Hide contents

File size: preferably around 100kB, no larger than 300kB.
File type: preferably .paa or .png  But .jpg and .jpeg will also work.
Resolution:  2^x / 2^y so 512/512 or 256/512 etc.
Billboards have a 2:1 x/y ratio.

Example of one of the current pictures in I&A:

pilotcaptain.png.e30a7fbffe8223a466e9b8e17b0dc9f9.png
It's a .png because the forum doesn't like .paa :) 
File size: as a .png: 363 kB, as a .paa: 158 kB
Resolution: 512x512

Thanks for the insight, that's just why i added the information. Also to everyone concerned, im resizing/cutting and compressing all the pictures sent to me, making them into png, and after into paa in TexView 2. So don't worry about struggling with that.

7 hours ago, Ryko said:

I don't think you need to convert to paa, arma 3 natively supports jpg on textures. 

6 hours ago, Miczils said:

Really? All the billboards i have seen in the I&A files are in .paa

Arma supports jpg   but paa render better :)

Or Atleast they used to render better 

I suggest that we also make a new installation video on Youtube. I know I found the existing one useful, but it wasn't 100% up to date. It would make it easier for people to join. 

I also think we could do with an Intro to AWE video, where someone explains the basics - rules, radio etiquette, organisation, etc.  I know this info is there for people to read, but I don't think everyone will, so it's another way to ensure that at least people know the basics when they join the site.

Thoughts?

4 hours ago, JaSmAn said:

I suggest that we also make a new installation video on Youtube. I know I found the existing one useful, but it wasn't 100% up to date. It would make it easier for people to join. 

I also think we could do with an Intro to AWE video, where someone explains the basics - rules, radio etiquette, organisation, etc.  I know this info is there for people to read, but I don't think everyone will, so it's another way to ensure that at least people know the basics when they join the site.

If this were ever to go live, permission would need to be granted for the video usage, but I'm in the works of creating an advertisement video; much like the promo ones that exist on the AW YouTube channel. It'll only be a music video, won't have any tips or help. If the response is good enough on this (once I post it), and people want me to look into making informational stuff, I can certainly do that.

By the way, if anybody has any high-quality footage of gameplay on AWE I'd love to get a link to it. The more diversity I have in the video, the better it will be. PM me if you feel like sharing.

Should anybody want to see a sample of my work:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

@ShadowAce11 good work so far and the initial intro is my favorite part. My critiques:

The clips aren't full screen and look kinda wierd

Most a from a POV and not a more professional and cinematic viewpoint

No website link at the end

Even though I know that the IP at the end is TS it might not be obvious to everyone

I'll be back in a week and if you would like I help shoot some shots and make a scenario that makes it easier. 

Thoughts?

We are aware of the tutorial being out of data and are working on getting an up to date one up for our users.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using a phone app that is really irritating because it constantly advertises itself.

As it seems that quite a few people liked the idea. I've made a few of those billboard. I am amazed by the amount of pictures that got sent to me, and i apologize i couldn't use them all, obviously only a few of the billboards are actually going to make it to public AW servers, i believe that 13 should be enough to choose from. I hope i got all the autor's of the screenshots in the description, if i didn't, send me a message and il fix it. Thanks to @IOnceWasATeddy for helping with choosing the pictures, and @SkullCollector the help with photoshop, @McKillen for constantly criticizing my work and my life choices and making up some of the phrases, everybody who sent me those pictures, and specially to @Michal for making a great one himself. 

Keep in mind that im no professional, and that was probably the fifth time i actually opened Photoshop. 

Cheers Miczils
Ps. I sen't some staff members the link to a .rar file with the billboards etc.

5 hours ago, BenjaminHL said:

@ShadowAce11 good work so far and the initial intro is my favorite part. My critiques:

The clips aren't full screen and look kinda wierd

Most a from a POV and not a more professional and cinematic viewpoint

Yep, unfortunately the only editing software I have is Movie Maker. Been using it for something around 6 years now, so I know it in and out. I've tried to play around with Premiere Elements 10 but it's like my computer doesn't support it or something; can never get it to work right. So yeah, you get the classic sides-are-cut-off Movie Maker screen.

In regards to the footage, literally the only clips I had were that one of Moon, and the original promo trailer on the AW YT page. Had to make do with what I had; I would have used more cinematic footage if I had the option, but trying to find actual cinematic clips of AWE is next to impossible, and I wasn't going to use vanilla Arma stuff for a server promo that boasts its modpack. That, and I have too poor of a computer to record anything, and I was rushing to get this completed. Only had two and a half hours; I was nearly late to work thanks to that trailer.

Edit: On another topic, I realize any advertisements we make will want to be more serious; I can see how my trailer (and my billboard) would look kind of playful and humorous. If anybody would like to present ideas on a well-rounded trailer along with some footage, I would be more than happy to experiment.

In making promotional material, I'd like to make a plea that the creators advertise the focus on the structured approach and the teamplay elements. Advertise ACE and TFAR, not RHS and 3CB.

Just putting that out there [emoji4]

Exactly what I've done with the billboards.

Sent from my SM-G935F using a phone app that is really irritating because it constantly advertises itself.

Hi @Michal the breaching scenario sounds like a good idea. The video could start with a mission briefing, cuts to troops being transported. Squad 360 when landed from a high level camera, then move to the breach tactics, followed by some ace medical. We could also use troop convoy footage. Ends with a group shot.

Footage could be recorded by zeus and also have some helmet cam stuff.

Would be great if we could schedule some server time to record the footage.

I've been really wanting to make another more detailed and professional video, but I seriously doubt I'll be able to do that with Movie Maker; and I will not be investing in any production upgrades for a long time (Vegas would be the ideal software to have, but I am definitely not going to fork over that kind of money while I'm still planning to upgrade my hardware).

So, if someone else wants to try to make a really nice video, I'd be more than happy to hand out some song recommendations, but otherwise, count me out.