Spawn mechanics?

I'm hoping someone can explain the Gauntlet enemy spawn mechanics.  

Twice it's happened to me now that the enemy seems to have an endless supply of BMPs. According to the mission brief, there should be "a few" of them. So we load up some AT, get to the AO, kill three BMPs and start our advance. Next thing we know there's another, and then another, and then another.

So we all get smashed, load back up thinking, "OK, one last one to kill. Let's flank it and go around," only to find another two or three BMPs in the AO! What the....?

Can someone explain?  Many thanks in advance.

16 minutes ago, Lost Bullet said:

first "a few" doesn't mean 3, and besides there's ambient AI that every 120s as a chance of spawning troops and vehicles close to players location

Sorry @Lost Bullet but I don't understand your message - do you mean that "a few" can be more that 3 or 4? Something between 6 or 10? Is there any logic to this mechanic? For example, "there's a 20% chance of spawning between 5 and 10...." or something like that. Just trying to understand the system, if there is one.

Also, does that mean that the AI could spawn a BMP every 120 seconds?

I'm hoping that understanding this will keep me from walking my squad into a death trap.... again.

Thanks.

The mission and contents are created taking into account the number of players connected on the server at the moment that the mission is spawned, so things could get overwhelming if a bunch of people recently disconnected.

For ambientAI, there are some  factors into account:

• Timer of Ambient AI (its a mission parameter, can be checked in Map - Log - Parameters)
  • If players are in vehicles it will take that into account (powerful player assets = more OPFOR powerful assets)
  • number of players on the server
  • random chance of spawning ambient (its calculated every ambientAI cycle)
  • random change of spawning vehicles taking into account point 2 and 3.

So yes, there's a bunch of factors that will almost completely randomize Ambient AI if that was your question.

Oh, and some kind of missions (typical convoy ones like the "deliver medical supply truck") will "mess" with AmbientAI timer, accelerating the interval between checking if it should spawn more enemies.

23 hours ago, JaSmAn said:

Sorry @Lost Bullet but I don't understand your message - do you mean that "a few" can be more that 3 or 4? Something between 6 or 10? Is there any logic to this mechanic? For example, "there's a 20% chance of spawning between 5 and 10...." or something like that. Just trying to understand the system, if there is one.

Also, does that mean that the AI could spawn a BMP every 120 seconds?

I'm hoping that understanding this will keep me from walking my squad into a death trap.... again.

Thanks.

I think I was on the server for this one.

We were transporting two trucks of civilians(?) to the mission area, yes?

If I'm not mistaken the mission spawned with a partial Alpha 1 and Alpha 2 squads. Maybe 8 players total and we used the HEMMTS and a couple of HMMWs. I am also under the impression that the spawns were quite aggressive for this one. The opposition was very tough, but I don't think charging through would have been an option either.

@Lindi yes, it's that mission I'm referring to.

It may have just been my impression, but I felt we were just getting hammered by an endless stream of BMPs. We had about 7 guys, no MAT, no Vortex, one medic. So 8 guys including me as ASL.  I heard yesterday that the guys managed to finish the mission and they did it by just driving the trucks into the town aggressively, not caring about getting shot.

What I wasn't sure about, and now I know, was whether BMPs kept spawning or if they were there from the start. My best guess now is that there were probably 3 or 4 when we got there and 2 or 3 additional ones spawned when we remained pinned down. Maybe we were just unlucky with the spawning ambient AI.

With the benefit of hindsight, I would modify my tactics. My base plan was to go along the road/beach to keep our right flank clear. I was confident we could deal with two or three (i.e. "a few" BMPs). I wanted to lead with the infantry and follow behind using the GMG. I never expected to have to deal with 5 or 6 BMPs with a squad of 6 guys carrying 2 AT tubes!  

Knowing what I know now, my new plan would be to head to the high ground, into the woods and draw fire from the BMPs so we can ambush them. Reload AT, move 200 metres and repeat.  Live and learn......

That explains why the mission felt more difficult:

• Convoy mission (move ground object/person from point A to point B): the rate as the AmbientAI could spawn in is increased
  • Player vehicles: Armed ground vehicles, so if ambient spawns in it will spawn one of the three: Infantry (foot troops), Motorized (wheeled vehicle) or Mechanized (tracked)

I like those odds tbh and that's one of the reasons I like convoy missions: you have to be constantly on alert for incoming enemy reinforcements.

If you are doing a convoy mission just carry extra supplies, even one humvee can carry loads of rockets to deal with bmp's.

@Jasman Yes indeed, after 2 or so reinserts we had enough of a break in the BMP spawns that we managed to charge into town with the trucks! :)

It was a tough one, but also quite rewarding to finally complete the mission. High ground and better cover would have made a world of difference, this time we were advancing on fairly open terrain so that clearly was not to our advantage.

1 hour ago, Lindi said:

@Jasman Yes indeed, after 2 or so reinserts we had enough of a break in the BMP spawns that we managed to charge into town with the trucks! :)

It was a tough one, but also quite rewarding to finally complete the mission. High ground and better cover would have made a world of difference, this time we were advancing on fairly open terrain so that clearly was not to our advantage.

Yeah, wanted to use the vehicles to cover our advance, which is why I chose the open ground.