Medic Rant

BlastaMasta

The following describes a situation often encountered in real life and also while playing on the server (AWE).

Medics arrive on scene and start treating a patient. Bystanders will gather round and in most cases even tell the medics what they should do and what the 'best' treatment for the patient is.

One situation that I have in mind was when @DeVision and I were playing as AMedic and BMedic and arrived to treat a heavily wounded and unconscious patient on the battlefield. As soon as we arrived and started treating the patient together, splitting up our work and working perfectly in sync, someone approached us from behind and started telling the both of us what we should do, what bandages we should use and that we have to get a blood transfusion running to get the patient back on his feet. All while everyone else was rearming and getting ready for the second push. 

Now I realize that it's just a game and that the consequences are not as severe as in real life but that particular guy really got our blood going. Don't treat the medics as if they are completely stupid and incompetent. If we wouldn't know what we are doing, we'd take a different role or ask someone to guide us. Medics have totally different and more advanced capabilities of providing life support than a regular soldier. Let them do their job and do yours. We're not gonna tell a marksman how he should zero his rifle or tell ASL how they should command their squads..

Anywho, sorry for the rant but I had to get this out of my system cause shit like this really gets me going...

Easy solution: call an admin/moderator because that guy was somehow breaking rule "Nr. 9 First medic is always in charge" to get idiots like him kicked/banned.:) Or that he at least receives an official warning<_<

But yeah that's what I do and would do if I was you: someone's breaking rules -> call an admin!:)

Also if you remember his name you can still report him for his behavior: go to player tools->whistle->report player. Then fill out the form and as evidence you at least have DeVision. Maybe it helps maybe not but at least admins will probably keep an eye on him when they heard his name because of rule breaking once ;):)

*Edit*: Also you could argue with rule "Nr. 8 Play your role" since he probably wasn't doing that when he was giving you orders.

7 minutes ago, Noah_Hero said:

Easy solution: call an admin/moderator because that guy was somehow breaking rule "Nr. 9 First medic is always in charge" to get idiots like him kicked/banned.:) Or that he at least receives an official warning<_<

But yeah that's what I do and would do if I was you: someone's breaking rules -> call an admin!:)

Also if you remember his name you can still report him for his behavior: go to player tools->whistle->report player. Then fill out the form and as evidence you at least have DeVision. Maybe it helps maybe not but at least admins will probably keep an eye on him when they heard his name because of rule breaking once ;):)

*Edit*: Also you could argue with rule "Nr. 8 Play your role" since he probably wasn't doing that when he was giving you orders.

I'm not sure and I don't want to point fingers at anyone if I'm not 100% solid on who it was. But next time that happens I'll definitely consider it. We just told him to fuck off and continued treating our patient. @DeVision, do you remember who it was?

Whilst i feel for you about how annoying it can be, i honestly think (that for this specific situation) a kick/ban/report player is way to exaggerated. I mean seriously? You want to report/kick/ban a player for saying something like that? Its a bit harsh. And about the rules, I don't think that rule #9 applies here, nor does #8 really. He wasn't doing anything except opening his mouth, which as far as it's not insults or bad language, it  should not be punished.

Based on your logic, every time vortex has to put up with passengers telling him to fly low, do this, do that, every single flight should be punishing a handful of passengers.

Don't let it get to you, and just either ignore such people, or do what you did "telling him to f*** off" which should suffice. It's not like your patient died due to his intervention or anything.

Whilst i do have a lot of respect for rules and reporting, i honestly don't think that someone telling you "how to" should be punishable. Unless of course he's all over your face and intentionally being a dick at annoying you, then of course something should be done about it, but that was not the case from what i understand here.

Regards,

Theronas

Well he was not playing his role since he was not a supervisor of the medics but was supervising him and he was telling them what they should do while he had no supervising authority to do so since he was not the first medic there. Also with his action he was crowding the casualty what is also a breaking of rule 9. Clear breaking of the rules overall.

it's pretty simple: either you follow the rules or you don't. Same goes for enforcing: either you enforce the rules or you don't (this includes just partially enforcing). And if we start just partially enforcing the rules we directly can forget them because rules and the law just don't work that way.

Also I talked about warning/kick/ban. And do you think a warning is too much for that? I don't. It was a minor breaking => warning. Works perfectly fine.

If you want to have a more lengthy lecture about the rules: ask "crusader" @Amentes ;):)

*Edit*: also the report player form does not means that they get kicked, etc. it is just to inform admins about someone's behavior and maybe they apply administrative sanctions but maybe also not. It's up to them so it is never overkill to fill that out.

And yes I understand it that way that he was a complete dick...If it was other he probably wouldn't have posted it.

There's always people who want to control everything and everyone on the battlefield. That's why SLs who micromanage exist.

To them I say: Let people do their jobs.

Feel free to contact the staff team if it happens again.

And yes, it's a breach of rule 9. 

4 hours ago, Colsta said:

There's always people who want to control everything and everyone on the battlefield. That's why SLs who micromanage exist.

Feel free to contact the staff team if it happens again.

And yes, it's a breach of rule 9. 

Couldn't have put it better. 

Quite frankly if you are the medic and someone else is trying to order you around as to how to best treat a patient (unless you ask for the help or are unsure) - tell them to bugga off and hold security. If they have a problem with that, tell them to come find me - and while they're at that, let someone from the AWE team know ?

7 hours ago, Colsta said:

... The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed; the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of men will... Oh, whoops, wrong speech.

So I'm not entirely sure if I do this myself. If I do, for future reference I apologize. Usually my only comment is "get him patched up", and I am glad to give any pointers to medics who may still be shady on the advanced ACE features. 

Just to play devil's advocate here: when you're in the heat of battle, or are trying to advance or retreat or get clear of a mortar strike or whatever, you tend to lose track of random comments you make; especially if you're not push-to-talk. My comment above is what I say pretty subconsciously now, upon every injury I encounter. I know the medic's got it covered, and I know things will be back to status quo five minutes from that point, but I still tell the medic to heal the wounded. What I'm saying here is that people may mean no disrespect, they simply may be caught up in the moment.

7 minutes ago, ShadowAce11 said:

especially if you're not push-to-talk

actually at the moment everyone should be forced ptt:blink: Are you not? Because if you are not then the TS is again setted up not correct after the switch.:wacko:

1 hour ago, ShadowAce11 said:

Just to play devil's advocate here: when you're in the heat of battle, or are trying to advance or retreat or get clear of a mortar strike or whatever, you tend to lose track of random comments you make; especially if you're not push-to-talk. My comment above is what I say pretty subconsciously now, upon every injury I encounter. I know the medic's got it covered, and I know things will be back to status quo five minutes from that point, but I still tell the medic to heal the wounded.

Thing is that it was at a temporary "green zone" where we went to get resupplies/ammo/medical. There was no battle going on, everyone was busy either rearming or getting patched up.

• 2 weeks later...