Jet squads

Heikamp

Question

Dear admins and readers,

Since the last update where these boss admins added the jets from the jets DLC to the game, I came across the fact that there was only one jet to fly. This kinda upset me a little bit. So I've been doing some thinking; why don't they add jet squads?

Jet squads basically mean that 2-4 people can be in a squad and ONLY fly the jets(from the jets DLC and if there are any Warthog/Buzzard/Neophron rewards, vanilla jets). These 4 people are not in the Vortex squad, so there will still be slots open for people who want to transport players to the AO or sidemissions. 

The jet squad has to be whitelisted, so admins can 'hire' players who have plenty of experience doing CAS and flying in general. They can discuss if players are well fitted for the job for being part of the jet squad. 

That was all, basically just a squad of 4, whitelisted. Only one jet is just too lonely for me, every pilot needs a wingman right?

-Heikamp

11 answers to this question

1 minute ago, Lost Bullet said:

I don't agree and even think that we already have too many pilots, 4 (pilot) slots should be enough.

Don't forget that Arma is a infantry game not a jet fighter simulator.

Like I said, this is for people who like to fly the jets and they're NOT part of the vortex  squad. 

Plus they added this DLC for a reason, so its not just infantry focussed. 

Flying jets is very fun, but I don't see any reason for 4 jets to be added. Jets spawn in only if there is a radio tower up and if so it will only be one jet. 4 Jets is certainly not required to take them down. Along with that I think whitelisting has been talked about in the past and is seen as a clear no, The server is public and anyone can do what they want within the rules.

23 hours ago, Lost Bullet said:

I don't agree and even think that we already have too many pilots, 4 (pilot) slots should be enough.

Don't forget that Arma is a infantry game not a jet fighter simulator.

I have to disagree with that, Arma is an all around combat game.

You could argue that an operation like I&A wouldn't happen without air cover, and expect enemy air units to come fight for air superiority. If that were simulated, you could have jets on both sides doing counter air and CAS.

That being said, IMO, ArmA is a good infantry simulator, with a decent helicopter simulation but falls short terribly when it comes to jets. Theatres are by far not large enough (would need to be at least 4x Altis), and flight visibility should be increased (at least 25KM, preferably more).

For that reason, I don't think ArmA is the right sim to set up such an environment. I also doubt any ArmA-server would be able to host both a ground war AND a continuous air battle.