"Solved" - GPU Problem

On 21.5.2017 at 11:03 PM, Blue-958- said:

[Edit] I meant to say buy a converter which turns two 4-pins into one 6-pin.

Well my new GPU will be the ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 AMP! (due to the good price it offers for the work it does + 5 year warranty for free) that uses 2x 8Pins. So I then will need to get another cable and then connect each 8Pin at the GPU to it´s own 8Pin from the power supply. So no converters needed:)

Your 430W PSU will struggle with such a powerhouse at high loads, so consider upgrading that as well. Suitable tier-2 and tier-1 PSUs include EVGA GQ, SuperNOVA GS, G2 and G3, most Seasonic and Cooler Master V and VSM series. You'll want no less than 550W, depending on your upgrade path you could go as high as 850W but it takes a lot to saturate that nowadays. Unless you plan SLI in the near future, stick to 550 to 650 and you're absolutely fine.

Don't skimp on the PSU, though, it's the piece that keeps your PC from mimicking an electric chair for its components in its free time. If necessary, I highly (highly!) recommend stepping down to a 1070 to make room for a decent PSU in your budget, in case your budget is limited at all.

(Links to a German site for obvious reasons.)

36 minutes ago, SkullCollector said:

Your 430W PSU will struggle with such a powerhouse at high loads

According to this power-supply calculator (http://www.bequiet.com/de/psucalculator) the maximum needed power should be around 330W. With the Zotac 1080 needing about 50W more I would then end at max 380W. so still in the limit but yes very close. Do you think that should still be possible? Or do I really need also a new PSU? :unsure:

41 minutes ago, SkullCollector said:

I highly (highly!) recommend stepping down to a 1070 to make room for a decent PSU in your budget

I would like to stick with a 1080 due to the actually way better performance. So I would rather but the money for a new one on top.

43 minutes ago, SkullCollector said:

(Links to a German site for obvious reasons.)

Thanks for the links. :)

Generally speaking, you don't want your max load figures to closely match. Peak efficiency for most PSUs occurs at or around 50% load, but that's not the reason I recommend a new PSU.

Your 430W Pure Power L8 provides 396W combined on its 12V rails. That's the part that actually supplies power to your performance components such as graphics cards and CPUs. So the margin got ever so slightly tighter there. You could run it fine, it would work (possibly), but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable stressing it in any way. Simply because the Pure Power series is a set of budget PSUs that frankly are not meant for high-end rigs. You see, the quality of a unit isn't just measured in wattage and efficiency ratings, but wire gauge, capacitors and soldering. Yours quite simply isn't up to snuff, not to mention that it doesn't even have 2x 8-pin connectors, another indicator that this isn't its intended purpose.

13 minutes ago, SkullCollector said:

Generally speaking, you don't want your max load figures to closely match. Peak efficiency for most PSUs occurs at or around 50% load, but that's not the reason I recommend a new PSU.

Your 430W Pure Power L8 provides 396W combined on its 12V rails. That's the part that actually supplies power to your performance components such as graphics cards and CPUs. So the margin got ever so slightly tighter there. You could run it fine, it would work (possibly), but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable stressing it in any way. Simply because the Pure Power series is a set of budget PSUs that frankly are not meant for high-end rigs. You see, the quality of a unit isn't just measured in wattage and efficiency ratings, but wire gauge, capacitors and soldering. Yours quite simply isn't up to snuff, not to mention that it doesn't even have 2x 8-pin connectors, another indicator that this isn't its intended purpose.

13 minutes ago, fir_nev said:

Yes. Better to have a higher power supply to sustain >50% load as suggested by @SkullCollector. Try an alternative like Taiwanese brands like I have.

FSP AURUM S 600W

Super Flower Products

hmm, ok, then I´ll have a look at 550W PSUs :unsure:

I just talked to the Be Quiet! customer service and explained them what components will be built in. They recommended a 500W PSU what is also recommended from ZOTAC themselves and since I don´t plan to run SLI or OC anything I should be fine with that one. So I now bought the ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 AMP! and a Be Quiet! Straight Power 500W PSU for it. The packages will arrive on Saturday meaning I should be able to play again on that very day!:)

So again thank you all for your help and see you soon on the battlefield

Noah:)