"Solved" - GPU Problem

Hi guys,

I need help with a computer-problem:

When I start my computer my GPU-lights are beeing activated as usual but the GPU fences also directly start even though that the GPU is completely cool. The problem is that then my monitor is getting no signal. I also tested it with another monitor, another monitor and another cable and the old monitor and the other cable. When I attach my monitors to the mainboard directly they are also getting no signal. When I detach my GPU from the Mainboard and attach the monitor to the mainboard everything again works perfectly fine (it doesn´matters wich monitor and/or cable is attached then).:( My GPU is Palit GeForce GTX 970 JetStream.

BTW I have this problem since today and experienced this problem also a couple of times during today when the PC was running (also when there was no GPU load like when just beeing on the desktop). The monitor then couldn´t find any signal anymore and I had to restart. That solved the problem before but is now not working. Also it seems that now the PC isn´t even starting since the typical windows-sound isn´t appearing.

Does anyone has got an idea what the Problem with my GPU is, how I can solve it and/or how I can test what is wrong?:unsure:

Thanks for all the help you offered

Noah:)

Edited by Noah_Hero
Renamed it to solved and added a thanking sentence

Guest EnragedTeddyBear

try to put the gpu in a diffrent computer and see if that works, if not the gpu is gone 

Just now, EnragedTeddyBear said:

try to put the gpu in a diffrent computer and see if that works, if not the gpu is gone 

I have no other Computer in that I could test it. :unsure: Is there any other option on how to test if the GPU is still alive? :(

Guest EnragedTeddyBear

not really no, have you tried a diffrent gpu  in ur system that isnt built on?

I now also tried to disconnect everything (Mouse, Keyboard, Drives, Sound, Lan, etc) and only start the computer with just MB, CPU, GPU, Monitor and one RAM (tryed that also in all slots) but that also doesn´t helps so it seems that it isn´t because of other components in the Computer. :unsure:

Still any help is appreciated if anyone has got any ideas:(:)

And so far thanks for your help @EnragedTeddyBear!!:)

1 minute ago, Stuart.G said:

You say it worked on and off for a while before completely blowing. To me it sounds like something cooked through. Is it the power cable to the GPU maybe?

hmm, I don´t know the cable itself doesn´t smells that much burned or something. But could be possible.:wacko:

Good idea Stuart! Will try to get a new cable before a new GPU! :lol:

Also, you can try adding more power. Although it worked before aye? 

I once had an issue and fixed it by adding a second power cable to the GPU. In case you are only running one cable, try two if your GPU has ports for it. (Dunno what the Jetstream looks like)

EDIT:

Just looked it up, you should have two 6pin power connectors on your Graphics Card. If you have the cash to try things out, buy a separate cable for each. Just need to have enough ports on your power brick too. 

But again, no idea if this is the issue. I am neither an IT guy nor have had this particular issue. I am just throwing ideas out there.

35 minutes ago, Stuart.G said:

you can try adding more powe

At the moment I am using a be quiet! Pure Power L8 430W for power supply. to that are my GPU (max 150W), my HDD, my SSD, my disk-drive and my MB with a i5 4460 4x3,2GHz and 2x 8GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Sport as RAM. So I think there should be enough power available.:unsure: But I also have no other Power-supply and you can´t buy additional PCI-E cables for this power supply as it seems :( And I have my GPU connected with 2x 6Pin PCI-E (that fills all slots) coming from the one and only cable :(

Just now, BlastaMasta said:

Maybe take the caseplate off the GPU to inspect the PCB for any fried SMDs

is that possible without destroying things?:unsure:

1 minute ago, BlastaMasta said:

How old is the card?

about 2 years and 1 month => no more warranty :(

2 hours ago, Noah_Hero said:

And I have my GPU connected with 2x 6Pin PCI-E (that fills all slots) coming from the one and only cable :(

If I understand this correctly and you have one cable splitting into two 6-pin slots, then this is what has killed your gpu. I did the same thing on my old graphics card and it ended up doing the same as yours. When you get your new one, make sure its one cable to one 6-pin slot, I did this by buying a 4-pin (Which aren't used for anything on my pc) to 6-pin converter as my power supply doesn't have two 6-pins either.

[Edit] I meant to say buy a converter which turns two 4-pins into one 6-pin.

1 minute ago, Blue-958- said:

If I understand this correctly and you have one cable splitting into two 6-pin slots

yes it splits into 2x6+1x2 and I ran my GPU with both 6Pins plugged in from the same cable.

3 minutes ago, Blue-958- said:

then this is what has killed your gpu. I did the same thing on my old graphics card and it ended up doing the same as yours.

Ok:(

ep, perfectly possible. It should be held on by a few screws.

ok, will do that.

Is it maybe an overheating issue? What temps did you have before it failed?

hmm, not sure. When it first happened I was testing Hitboxes of vests in the virtual arsenal so there shouldn´t been a lot of working load/temperature. It also happened later when the PC was completely cooled down when I was just on the desktop so there also wasn´t a high temperature/working load.

3 minutes ago, Noah_Hero said:

hmm, not sure. When it first happened I was testing Hitboxes of vests in the virtual arsenal so there shouldn´t been a lot of working load/temperature. It also happened later when the PC was completely cooled down when I was just on the desktop so there also wasn´t a high temperature/working load.

I see.. Hmmm.. Maybe the thermal paste is old and therefore it overheated even with little load..

You said that your PC won't even start with the GPU in, right? Are you getting any beeping noises when trying to turn it on? Or more specifically, are you getting any beep codes?

Have you also tried fully uninstalling your Nvidia drivers and reinstalling them?

You could also try resetting your BIOS. You can do this by taking that little battery out of your motherboard, waiting a minute and putting it back in again. All while your PC is turned off ofcourse.

You said that your PC won't even start with the GPU in, right?

exactly. not even the typical windows sound appears. So probably it´s stopping in the POST/BIOS

Are you getting any beeping noises when trying to turn it on? Or more specifically, are you getting any beep codes?

No sounds at all.:(

Have you also tried fully uninstalling your Nvidia drivers and reinstalling them?

No I haven´t but how do I do that when I can´t use my PC, when my GPU is plugged in? :wacko:

2 minutes ago, BlastaMasta said:

You could also try resetting your BIOS. You can do this by taking that little battery out of your motherboard, waiting a minute and putting it back in again. All while your PC is turned off ofcourse.

ok, will try that

Maybe you could take your GPU to a friends place to try it in a different PC. I guess any motherboard with a PCIe bus should work.

Will try resetting the BIOS tomorrow and also will try to find someone who has time so I can test the GPU in his PC.

So far thanks for all your advice @BlastaMasta!:):)

Tomorrow I will write again if it worked.:)

27 minutes ago, Noah_Hero said:

First of all: Thank you guys for all the help you offered!!:)

Now to the result of testing the GPU in a friends computer: Same problem as in my computer => the GPU seems to be indeed broken.:(:(

Aw, sucks. But at least you now know for sure.. Plus it's a pretty good excuse for an upgrade ;);)