AWE - Lag Issues

Hey all,

managed to get enough space to reinstall the AWE rep. Now, I haven't played for about 2 months but now when I log onto EU3 I have massive issues with lag to an extent that it becomes unplayable. I haven't had this issue to this extent in the last years on EU3. 

Have I missed something? Anyone know any relief? The lag happens at random in spikes every minute or so. It also freezes the game for a couple of seconds when interacting with anything. Gunfights freeze me up almost completely. It isn't my machine, my CPU/GPU are running fine and Singleplayer works superb even on max settings.

All I can think of is it being my internet connection maybe? But it hasn't changed since the last time I played. I have also only been online during Altis (dunno if maps still rotate?) and I remember Altis being laggy for me but it never to this extent.

Thanks in advance,

Stuart

hi guys, thanks for the fast responses.

I have been running the Task Manager for a while. As said, CPU seems to be at a normal 10-35% usage while playing. Sometimes it spikes a little but it has done that in the past and it doesn't seem to match with the lag spikes.

1. Specs:

- Windows 10 Home (64bit) Version 1703

- Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU 2.60Ghz, 2.59GHz (8 virtual processors, I think 4 physical ones)

- RAM: 24GB

- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M

Anything else viable? Also, I have been running EU3 for the last two years on this machine just fine.

2. Yes, there have been NO issues with Singleplayer.

3. EU1 works fine.

4. See above

Hope someone has an idea, cause my usual tricks haven't worked. 

Cheers,

Stuart

20 hours ago, Stuart.G said:

hi guys, thanks for the fast responses.

I have been running the Task Manager for a while. As said, CPU seems to be at a normal 10-35% usage while playing. Sometimes it spikes a little but it has done that in the past and it doesn't seem to match with the lag spikes.

1. Specs:

- Windows 10 Home (64bit) Version 1703

- Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU 2.60Ghz, 2.59GHz (8 virtual processors, I think 4 physical ones)

- RAM: 24GB

- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M

Anything else viable? Also, I have been running EU3 for the last two years on this machine just fine.

2. Yes, there have been NO issues with Singleplayer.

3. EU1 works fine.

4. See above

Hope someone has an idea, cause my usual tricks haven't worked. 

Cheers,

Stuart

With the hardware listed, it should not be a problem. If it works then, it should work now.

Any changes done by Ur Internet Service Provider (ISP) on their end recently?

Try experimenting with Editor using AWE mods. Keep putting units and vehicles until U get that massive frame drop.

Server migration was done recently but if other players have no issue, it is definitely not the hosting server.

Thanks for the Editor advice. My system seems to dislike Altis for some reason. Spawning an infantry squad almost crashed my game. I then switched to Cherno and spawned a lot of crap with out issue. I could even load the scenario and walk through the masses with minimal FPS drop. I was walking between 75 Infantry Squads, 4 Tank Platoons and 2 Choppers. 

Spoiler

Cherno Editor

20170519185730_1.thumb.jpg.cedb4c0150b236f97372765ae524a76c.jpg20170519185724_1.thumb.jpg.b893c51f15df0c6d299ad7abbf50b7c9.jpg

FPS on AWE

Spoiler

20170519191124_1.thumb.jpg.8f2c5a3bcb8ba82c925a3d7e7c04a72b.jpg

IS there a way to test if my Internet speed is up to scratch? But again, my provider hasn't changed. They did put down glass-fibre down last month but that shouldn't impeed my speed should it? I have also not experienced any drops in other internet related services since they upgraded the cables. 

Edited by Colsta
Removed unrelated image per request.

1 minute ago, Stuart.G said:

My system seems to dislike Altis for some reason. Spawning an infantry squad almost crashed my game.

But that´s the same for everyone I guess. When AO´s are spawning/cleared up most people have massive FPS drops.

2 minutes ago, Stuart.G said:

IS there a way to test if my Internet speed is up to scratch?

Yes there are a few ways. Are you using a Fritz.Box? Are you using cable(like TV cable internet) or DSL?

9 minutes ago, Stuart.G said:

Yes I have a Fritzbox. I run over a DSL cable

Very good than I can help you further with troubleshooting:

Type in your browser "fritz.box" that should lead you to a site where you can make a lot of adjustement on ports/priorisation/etc also there you can check your data-transmission.

Here a few troubleshooting possibilities:

First of you will want to go to Internet->DSL-Informationen (buttons on the left side of the page). Then you will want to click on a button on the top that says DSL. That should lead you to a site where you can see what your DSL speed actually is. What values do you have in the first two lines (Datenrate Max and Datenrate Min)? (BTW in the two lines below is shown what you should get/for what you pay for. If the values of how many kbit/s you get are a lot lesser than the ones you are paying for it might be a good idea to call your provider and ask for a lower price.)

If you are playing via WLAN you will also want to go to  WLAN->Funkkanal and check there how many other signals are on the same channel as your one. If you see a channel that offers less signal interupption change your channel to that one (probably 13 will be the best channel because all Fritz-Boxes only set their channel between 1 and 11 by default what means that only users with a little bit more experience are using 12 and 13 and 13 is the most farest channel to the default ones what means that there is probably the lowest interruption by signals that use nearby channels.)

Not quite sure if I did this right. Its telling me I have am receving 112.6 mbit. This number isn't changing though, so I don't think its a measurement but a fixed value. Also, I don't have a DSL button under DSL-Information.

3 hours ago, Stuart.G said:

I have am receving 112.6 mbit

hmm that is definitly a lot and the number is static because it is the max you received. And this high value will most definitly just be there since the Glasfibre has been deployed what than means that the cable is also good.:mellow: So it´ll probably not be your connection.

Just now, Stuart.G said:

My only hope at the moment is that it is Altis.

Actually I think it is Altis. I also experienced massive Lags yesterday on Altis when we where running a wrong version of Gauntlet that basically spammed BMPs. Because of that of course we got totally wasted but same goes for FPS. So it probably is just because of the Map in addition to units being spawned/cleaned.

3 minutes ago, Stuart.G said:

played Altis just a minute ago on AWE. Everything was relatively fine until I hit contact. As soon as bullets start flying I drop to 1 FPS.

Perhaps an outdated approach, but there used to be an issue overwhelming your CPU with audio sources demanding too many cycles.

Check your audio settings and look for the number of allowed sound sources. Try decreasing your value (96 by default) to 32 for testing purposes, or go straight to the extreme and run Arma using the -nosound parameter. See if that has any results.