Rally points - details

I'm experimenting with the idea of rally points on awe. For greater clarity, this is how they work:

1) deployable by platoon commander or any squad lead

2) they last fifteen minutes and then disappear, then a 30 minute cooldown before you can deploy again

Currently there are no guidelines about rally points but I would ask that they be used sparingly and only where it is impractical for vortex to perform their function with inserting troops. If we find they are being abused then they'll be scaled back or removed.

I ended up using one without realising it. It appeared as a spawn point and I selected it, but I didn't realise until later that it was actually put down by someone.

I'm not a fan for regular Gauntlet or Zeus missions. I think part of the fun is reinserting into the AO. The only time I would advocate one is when there are no pilots available.

I think that the rally point should only be enabled when Vortex is not online, I think that can be done with a trigger that checks for the vortex pilots online.
When pilots are online as amentes said it just leaves them without nothing else to do.

I think that the rally point should only be enabled when Vortex is not online, I think that can be done with a trigger that checks for the vortex pilots online.

Or create a trigger for the presence of vortex two, therefore allowing ASL to leave vortex one on Cas.

I'm a fan of enabling the respawn location only when no pilots are online. If CAS has to convert to trans duties, so be it.

I like this but why not a more "realistic" insert like a paradrop?

I can see this resulting in chaos.  Respawning is already unrealistic, might as well just stick with it. ;)

wondering if it could be made in a way that if enemies are within a set distance from the rally point people can't deploy them or spawn on them, to avoid them being placed in silly spots close to the front lines?

Yeah, this is possible.

2 hours ago, Amentes said:

Yeah, I must admit I was a bit surprised when it was used yesterday, as Blood and myself were basically twiddling our thumbs while waiting for a reason to fly.

This. Thankfully since it only lasts 15 minutes we weren't waiting too long, and it wasn't deployed again to my knowledge

1 hour ago, Ryko said:

I'm a fan of enabling the respawn location only when no pilots are online.

I think this is a much better way to do things.

9 hours ago, Miczils said:

When pilots are online as amentes said it just leaves them without nothing else to do.

I don't think this should happen. Mainly because at times i have to sacrifice Vortex transport because i need CAS urgently. Having the rally point allows SLs to be more flexible with their Vortex assets in my opinion.

I think putting down a rally point when a Vortex is on transport duty is kind of "impolite" towards the pilots.

5 hours ago, IOnceWasATeddy said:

I think putting down a rally point when a Vortex is on transport duty is kind of "impolite" towards the pilots.

I fully agree with you on that, I just think some people don't realise that, and still do it,  going through the easiest path, and leave pilots waiting in the Base to only extract people from a finished AO

11 minutes ago, Stip said:

i'd give the ability to Logi instead of ASL/Platco.

• Logi needs to build a FOB
  • FOB can only be X Distance to AO
  • FOB building has certain requirements. / Building Materials
  • Respawning at FOB have a ticket cost.
  • No more tickets, no respawns
  • FOB needs to be dismantled, before a new one an be build.

FOB building should be something fun and challenging and not without danger.

I really like the idea in general but I don´t think that it´ll suit very well for Gauntlet because it isn´t like I&A or the MSO where it takes a long time to finish everything => the mission might already be over when the FOB is deployed (when it´s not a ZEUS mission that takes like a few hours).:):( I also see a three problems coming with it:

1. How often do you have LOGI at AWE... This is why I wouldn´t recommend only allowing LOGI to set these spawn FOBs.:unsure:
  2.  Also this FOB building could be a problem when you think of it like it was at the first part of the Al Rayak MSO. Because yes it sounds nice, but it is just pretty much annoying deploying tons of H-barriers when not having a good view on things like you have as ZEUS.<_< The other option of course would be to just have a box that automatically deploys a pre-builded FOB but this could also be a problem when the terrain isn´t flat, etc and would be pretty much the exact same thing as the FOB trucks we had and well... the spawn points are now here because we don´t wanted to have them and they just basically never got used (even if no vortex was around.) Also this could probably impact server performance when you build FOBs and I guess that the benefit of this is too less in comparison to the possible loss of server performance.:unsure:
  3. Probably we would need an extra Mod for this as we did at the MSO and well that Mod also had it´s problems as far as I know and adding a not perfectly working mod that is just used in a few rare cases also doesn´t seems like a good idea into my eyes and also most of the time it´ll just increase loading times (even if just by seconds it just sums up) while not being used.:unsure:

@Noah_Hero

1. I think stuff like this would actually promote the use of Logi. Especially if we actually use LOGI for troop transport instead of Vortex. If you give Logi something fun to do, there will be more people that would play the role.

2. Server impact will be minimal. Only a few objects will be spawned in, especially if only one FOB at a time is possible

3. Absolutely no mods are required to run something like this. Everything can be run with a simple script that uses the existing assets. Ive been playing around with code for a few days for my gamenight contribution and even i can now make a simple script like this.

I love the idea of logi building FOB's, also even if that one AO ends, logi can build an FOB in a good position [a hill in the middle of the map etc] and then ressuply it by bringing in ammo and vehicles by heavy lift helicopter. I would honestly go logi 80% of time to build FOB's

Sent from my SM-G935F using a phone app that is really irritating because it constantly advertises itself.

28 minutes ago, Stip said:

1. I think stuff like this would actually promote the use of Logi. Especially if we actually use LOGI for troop transport instead of Vortex. If you give Logi something fun to do, there will be more people that would play the role.

Sure. I personally love LOGI but you then also need to have enough players to use LOGI and when there are enough players you usually also have enough Pilots making LOGI probably most of the time redundant when used for transport. As seen at the MSO: There I use my pilot either as a driver or as a pilot. Depending on how safe the airspace is. having a driver and a pilot at the same time makes no sense and having 2x Vortex in CAS seems a bit overkill when it´s not a ZEUS-mission.

32 minutes ago, Stip said:

2. Server impact will be minimal. Only a few objects will be spawned in, especially if only one FOB at a time is possible

Ok.

33 minutes ago, Stip said:

3. Absolutely no mods are required to run something like this. Everything can be run with a simple script that uses the existing assets. Ive been playing around with code for a few days for my gamenight contribution and even i can now make a simple script like this.

Then it would be again a self-building kind of FOB(?)

If yes: As said, exactly this is what has been replaced by these spawn-points so I don´t think that this would be appreciated.

If it should be self building FOB I'd expect a bunch of Hesco Blocks spawn around with an exit, a little medical space, and a motorpool . I'd preeefer logi to have an option to put the Hesco's themselves, that can be done with scripts, kind of like basebuilding in different survival mods but less advanced

Sent from my SM-G935F using a phone app that is really irritating because it constantly advertises itself.

3 minutes ago, Miczils said:

a little medical space, and a motorpool

But that would make take away a few of LOGIs/Vortex tasks like MEDEVAC, supplying with Ammo/Vehicles etc.

Just now, Miczils said:

I'd preeefer logi to have an option to put the Hesco's themselves,

We done that at the MSO and trust me it sounds cool but it isn´t that much when you don´t have that ZEUS view... Also this would probably cause H-barrier spam when people could build by themselfes.

2 minutes ago, Miczils said:

kind of like basebuilding in different survival mods but less advanced

At the MSO we had a "Logistics Mod" for that. Worked not that well.

At the MSO we had a "Logistics Mod" for that. Worked not that well.

It wouldn't take away medevac, it would make it quicker. I'm talking about realistically placed FOB's, not in the AO, more like 2-3 km away from it, on big maps like Altis or Chernarus that would allow for constant operation without the need to come back for a rearm all the way to the Base.

14 minutes ago, Miczils said:

It wouldn't take away medevac, it would make it quicker.

Valid point.

13 minutes ago, Miczils said:

would allow for constant operation without the need to come back for a rearm all the way to the Base.

Definitly but it will most likely lead to more aggressive playstyle because you don´t sacrifice much if everyone dies. Of course good TLs/SLs will not do that but obviously there are also the other ones.:unsure:

But as said: It´ll probably used exactly that much as the FOB trucks.