Questions and thoughts about my first few hours on AWE

Good morning everyone.

First off, some mumbling on my behalf.

For years now I have been watching various youtube videos on arma gameplay, and I was always keen on the ACE games and the large scale co-ops and I was always so very fascinated by them. Damn, i even lay at night trying to fall asleep dreaming about these scenarios. All the depth and realism involved makes this so addictive.

So far I only knew how to play the public servers that one finds online, which is littered with trolls and solo-heroes. 

I then finally took the time to download and install all the mods required for AWE, and when  I logged in the for the first time, I was in heaven :D.

Going through the arsenal the first time was intimidating. All the small gadgets and tools, and various "thingies" in there. Sure, on youtube it all seemed to simple and easy, especially the med stuff, all the different bandages, shots, etc...

I then went on to setup and customize a loadout and play style for a marksman (my fav class on the public servers). Offcourse all i knew at that time was from my experience on public servers, as in pull out rangefinder, get range, click on PageUp to get the range, and just start firing at targets, with good hits most of the time.

On AWE though at first (without the great help and support from the people here) i saw that after a few hours of gameplay, i actually didnt hit a SINGLE target :lol:.

So after asking some of my nice fellow players and team-mates (who were really all very friendly and helpful, thanks guys) i learned how to aquire the range of a target here on AWE, how to use the range card to setup the scope, and how to calculate wind effects on long range shots. I went out far away from base solo and just tried to experiment a bit, getting a range of a tree or a rock, using the range card to help me adjust the scope, and then finally getting the hang of hitting a target with the wind calculations. I was so happy and proud that i finally manage to hit a target (a tree at 500m).

So i go out on a mission again with a team, and look there, few hours later, i come back to base, with 0 actual hits on targets:lol:.

Please do not get me wrong, by no means is this post a rant or complaint. I really love it, its awesome. But there are some questions that arise.

Example and question 1:

I was running down a hill with a small squad (me being a marksman). At some point an enemy technical came racing towards us. My SL said: Marksman, take down gunner.

At first i didnt even see or find the technical. By the time i saw it it was closing in fast. I took out my rangefinder, and for some reason, i couldnt get it to give me a range ( is there some limit on how many uses, or if its too far away, it won't give a range? ), and by the time i got the range and hit the keys to get out my range card the technical was already taken care off.

So my question here is:

First i need to get a range, which doesnt always show or work.

I then have to get out the range card to see what i need to set on the scope.

I then need to adjust the scope.

How can all this be done the moment the team comes under attack, or a target needs to be taken out asap?

Thers not time to go through all these steps. By the time i get the range, or the range card, its already too late (either we are dead, or target is already gone/dead).

And me in a moment like that asking my team whats the range, is not right either (makes me sound like i can't wipe my own ass)....

So am I missing something here? How does someone using a marksman role get ready for a shot within seconds of sighting an enemy?

Are there any tips that you can provide on this?

Question 2.

I would love to also try the vortex role, but before I take a vortex slot on AWE and become fudder, is there anything I need to know (compared to the normal public servers) when flying? Is there any difference? Any surprises or extra knowledge needed? I don't wanna jump in blind and get my team killed in mid air)...

All in all, my experience so far on AWE is really nice, im loving it (although I suck really bad so far at it) but its truly everything I was looking forward for years. I just hope you folks have the patience to put up with me till i get sorted and learn all the stuff required for AWE. Im going daily through a ton of vids, tutorials, guides, reading a lot of forums and so on but in the end, I need to be able to accomplish all that in the field too.

Also thanks to all the folks who helped me get sorted this far, I really apreciate it.

Regards,

Theronas

Question 1:

I'd recommend you use the "Vector Nite" for rangefinding. Hold R until red box appears, put box on target, release R.

I've always said that as a Marksman, you shouldn't have to rely on the rangecard. When moving, having your zero set at around 300 meters will enable you to quickly engage targets within 50-400 meters without having to fiddle with your zero.

In your situation with the technical, your SL probably expected you to be able to judge the rough range by sight alone.

These abilities will come with practice, which is why I always recommend that all players wanting to run Marksman first play a while in AAR, Rifle AT or even AR. Add to that, some time behind your rifle/scope combination of choice, on one of the multitude of single-player rifle ranges you can find on the Steam Workshop.

Being an effective Marksman takes practise ;)

My personal choice of weapon is currently the L129A1 in combination with the AMS scope.  This gives you a non-magnifying reflector sight for close engagement, and the choice of 3x or 10x on the scope itself. A deadly combination.

Question 1:

Setting the range to 100 (default) on the scope is optimal for ranges up to 300. Anything above you you calculate range. 

For example: Let's say the range is 850. On the scope you would set the range to 7,5. Why? Every whole number (1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and so on) is 100 meters, every digit number (0,1, 0,2, 0,3 and so on) is 10 meters. But you also have to add a 100 meters on your current range since that is your scope's default range setting. 

So in short:

1) Estimate a range

1.1) Below 300

1.2) Above 300

2) If 1.1, just aim and shoot.

3) If 1.2, acquire range.

3.1) Adjust scope, for the ease... use this equation (Range will be our "x"): x/100-1=Scope Adjustment.

4) First round after every adjustment is for adjust.

5) Profit.

Question 2:

I can take you under my wing, show you the basic and stressful part about flying. What makes it so fun and so challenging. It isn't the easiest job, but it's easier than being the Squad Leader without a Platoon Commander. 

If I'm not there, I'm sure almost anyone else would love to assist you. We're all open armed, don't be afraid to ask questions, just don't take it too hard if you get a "no".

Hi again Theronas :)

43 minutes ago, Theronas said:

So my question here is:

First i need to get a range, which doesnt always show or work.

I then have to get out the range card to see what i need to set on the scope.

I then need to adjust the scope.

How can all this be done the moment the team comes under attack, or a target needs to be taken out asap?

An experienced marksman will be able to estimate ranges and zero accordingly - the answer here is that you'll pick it up with practice. As a tip, if you're running around with your squad, zero to 300 or 400 metres. That's the range at which most engagements seem to take place. If you come under fire, shoot at an enemy and observe the bullet's impact with the ground - for example, if it lands slightly below, press page up a couple of times.

After a while, you'll become more familiar with what corrections you need to make at what time; just bear in mind that the actual settings you apply to your scope depend on the weapon and also the temperature.

52 minutes ago, Theronas said:

So i go out on a mission again with a team, and look there, few hours later, i come back to base, with 0 actual hits on targets:lol:.

I wouldn't have been able to hit anything either, there was an 18 km/h crosswind :P

53 minutes ago, Theronas said:

I would love to also try the vortex role, but before I take a vortex slot on AWE and become fudder, is there anything I need to know (compared to the normal public servers) when flying? Is there any difference? Any surprises or extra knowledge needed? I don't wanna jump in blind and get my team killed in mid air)...

You need to be communicating with your command element over long-range radio, and if flying CAS, you need to stick to your rules of engagement. Suggest you jump into a co-pilot slot when there's an experienced and willing volunteer in the pilot slot :)

3 minutes ago, SiegeSix said:

Question 1:

For example: Let's say the range is 850. On the scope you would set the range to 7,5. Why? Every whole number (1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and so on) is 100 meters, every digit number (0,1, 0,2, 0,3 and so on) is 10 meters. But you also have to add a 100 meters on your current range since that is your scope's default range setting. 

Unfortunately, this is not correct for all rifle/scope combinations.

In the end, nothing can compete with time behind the rifle.

34 minutes ago, Amentes said:

Unfortunately, this is not correct for all rifle/scope combinations.

In the end, nothing can compete with time behind the rifle.

Double check at the top right. Check wether it says 100m or 300m that is your zero.

Q1:

You're marksman and not a sniper. It doesn't matter much when you fail your first few shots. That said, guestimate distances. Learn how big a target is when in your scope and try to remember what range that target is at. And zero your rifle to a set distance, 300-400 meters is generally good enough. Adjust from there. Further targets allow for more time to adjust. If they are closer aim lower, and use your mildots as a reference for how much you adjust. Get a hang of all the tools available and work with what is most suitable.

If you really need a distance to a target, ask someone else to range it for you, so you waste less time. Most people carry rangefinders nowadays anyway ;)

Q2:

Not sure if there's much difference besides possibly some keybindings. I haven't flow a heli in about half a year or more. Then again, I don't think I'll be able to match our most competent pilots any time soon. Should really ask the pilots in-game or run as a co-pilot.

Furthermore:

Glad you're enjoying it here :)

WOw, thanks for all that info. It is very helpful, so in other words, i should stick with a wep, start making some default calculations on the default scope (100/300m etc), and from there try to have a default range setup between 100 - 300m for a fast default. From there on, its practice practice practice. The advice of estimating a range based on size of enemy viewed through the scope is something i will need to practice a bit, but it sounds reasonable, so I will go in that direction most def.

Thanks alot for all the provided info, it will make life easier :P.

1 hour ago, SiegeSix said:

If I'm not there, I'm sure almost anyone else would love to assist you. We're all open armed, don't be afraid to ask questions, just don't take it too hard if you get a "no".

No worries about that, I've been on the internet since 1995, and have had my fair share of experience with people saying yes or no to things. I believe as long as i follow my mentor's advice ( I will teach you how to catch a fish, not how to cook it ) the "nos'" shouldn't be too many and judging by the willingness so far of the community to help out, its going to be a pleasure to learn more and more here.

Once again, many thx for help and advice, its all deeply apreciated, and hopefully i can become useful to my squad/unit in the near future.

Regards,

Theronas

19 minutes ago, Theronas said:

WOw, thanks for all that info. It is very helpful, so in other words, i should stick with a wep, start making some default calculations on the default scope (100/300m etc), and from there try to have a default range setup between 100 - 300m for a fast default. From there on, its practice practice practice. The advice of estimating a range based on size of enemy viewed through the scope is something i will need to practice a bit, but it sounds reasonable, so I will go in that direction most def.

Why calculate? Just memorise the range table for some defaults. No need to do work twice. If you grab a different gun, there'no shame in using the range table, so just use that. Really, there's no reason not to take one. Just memorise some defaults so you don't waste half of your time looking at it.

Just now, Karate Pyjamas said:

Why calculate? Just memorize the range table for some defaults. No need to do work twice. If you grab a different gun, there'no shame in using the rangetable, so just use that.

Yes, sorry, bad choice of words i used, that is what i meant to say there. I will use a default setup on ranges for specific combinations of weps and scopes. The calculation only comes in to play if the target is too far away from any default.

Cheers.

Q1: Your team will have range fingers amongst them (most likely) and if you have a great spotter he might be able to give you scope corrections. you just stay on target and let the team pull together. If they don't help you, or are alone then you will obviously find it harder, as anyone would.

Q2: Flying is flying, be proficient but don't showboat. If you can make smart decisions like performing a go around in bad situations (Hot LZ, bad approach etc) you'll be fine.

4 hours ago, Amentes said:

I'd recommend you use the "Vector Nite" for rangefinding. Hold R until red box appears, put box on target, release R.

I logged into AWEU3 6 hours ago just to try using range-finders but failed miserably despite following the steps. Funny thing is, I managed to work with Yardage 450 purely by accident even before finding the steps.

18 hours ago, fir_nev said:

I logged into AWEU3 6 hours ago just to try using range-finders but failed miserably despite following the steps. Funny thing is, I managed to work with Yardage 450 purely by accident even before finding the steps.

Try this guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5wY1GhahBM&t=1s

or this one from the ACE Website:

https://ace3mod.com/wiki/feature/vector.html

It covers all the basic and a lot of the more advanced features of the Vector 21/Nite (distance, vertical and horizontal distance, azimuth, measurements between two points, Fall of Shot, etc)

And the vector is what you want to take because of the ton of measurements it offers, the lighter weight than the Lerca and most important the Nightvision the V21 Nite offers!

If you're really interested in hitting stuff at extreme ranges (somewhere around 1.5km) i recommend watching this thing:

You're not gonna need everything that's said in there as a marksman as it is a sniper guide, but there is some useful stuff in there for marksmen.  I personally watched the entire thing twice and some parts multiple times, but that's just me.

Thank you @Noah_Hero, that vid was informative and fun to watch. I will take it's contents to heart.

As for you @Stanhope... damn you for showing me this video :D:D:D. Who ever said anything about me wanting to be marksman. I want to be a sniper. 

On a more serious note though, that video actually kicked ass. It has answered many questions I had, and made me drool at the realism for sniping from longer distances. Many thanks for sharing that link. I have watched it so far 2 times, and a few related vids on the same subject. Heck, i even watched a documentary on snipers after your vid. 

It's all your fault now that my end goal has changed to me wanting to become a sniper. However, i also realize that this goal is still very far away. I will continue and master the marksman role, but after that, I will expand towards becoming a sniper.

Thank you everyone for your input/links/advice. That's what i love about this community, everyone is so helpful. I have spend a Long time trying to figure out stuff in Arma, but never found the right place to try/practice/ask-questions etc.... until I came to AW.

See you all in-game,

Theronas.

24 minutes ago, Theronas said:

As for you @Stanhope... damn you for showing me this video :D:D:D. Who ever said anything about me wanting to be marksman. I want to be a sniper. 

On a more serious note though, that video actually kicked ass. It has answered many questions I had, and made me drool at the realism for sniping from longer distances. Many thanks for sharing that link. I have watched it so far 2 times, and a few related vids on the same subject. Heck, i even watched a documentary on snipers after your vid. 

It's all your fault now that my end goal has changed to me wanting to become a sniper. However, i also realize that this goal is still very far away. I will continue and master the marksman role, but after that, I will expand towards becoming a sniper.

You're welcome :D
Also keep in mind that that video is from 2015.  Most of the stuff is still up to date but some small things might be outdated.  
And we rarely play with snipers on EU3/AWE so you're gonna have to convince someone to make a game night with sniper slots.

Haha, this is hillarious.

I loaded up the virtual arsenal. Loaded up on all the handheld devices ACE supplies you with. Managed to connect the binoc and... well one of them. Checked the range card for approximates. Tried to judge the wind indicator and hit a target at 1000 meters. I shot off about 20 bullets. Narrowly missing, but still missing each and everyone. I then managed to hit two legs and finaly torso to bring the target down.

Reloaded, waited for the target to respawn only to miss and fail again. Holy shit hitting a target at 1000 meters was hard. Nothing at all like vanilla.

I totaly feel you pain @Theronas :)