[Guide] AT Launchers & Etiquette

BloodInTheSand

Hello again folks! Today I'll be testing out the usefulness of the various BLUFOR launchers available to us in game. We'll start out with the standard available anti-tank launchers and move on from there. For the purposes of these tests I have a group of russian armed forces infantry set up in a 50m spread at 5m intervals, a BTR-70, a BMP-2, a T-34, T-55, T-70 and T-90. As well as this if there are multiple versions of a launcher, I will be testing all of the available versions (Ammo and author, not colour scheme) and all will be used with optics if available (SMAW and MAAWS particularly). I will not be testing the RPG-7, RPG-26 or any of the anti air launchers (the stinger is fairly simple, point, lock, shoot. If they flare, repeat process as very few vehicles will be functional after a stinger missile lands)

All rounds will be fired from a distance of approximately 100m, launcher permitting. Shots will be on the rear armour of vehicles, and on a direct impact to the first infantryman in the group.

All tests will be run 10 times for maximum accuracy of results, and I will only be testing damaging rounds. I will also not be testing size and weight, as these are easy enough to spot from a quick glance at the arsenal. See what suits you best.

Etiquette

This is possibly THE most important part of using launchers. As always, follow your standard rules of engagement (Ask your TL or SL if you're unsure of these) and pick only targets that are within your effective range (ranging capabilities of the launcher). Once you have your target selected, designate it to people in the area using local chat to make sure they know what you're looking at and can potentially offer assistance, or prepare for the dismounting crew of the vehicle. This is especially important if the vehicle is close as it will allow your team members to get into an appropriate position of cover to protect them from the blast when your rocket impacts. 

Once your launcher is ready, loaded and ranged - make sure your backblast is clear. Have a look behind you to see if anyone is there, and call "Clear backblast!" in local to make sure everybody knows to keep away. Before firing, make sure to call out again - either "Firing", "Rifle!" or something to that effect will normally do the job. Backblast can be fatal - so making sure everyone is clear is your top priority, above engaging the target.

Make sure to carry an appropriate launcher for what you are doing. For standard infantry, the M72A7 should suffice. LAT will want the AT4, MAT the SMAW or MAAWS, and HAT the Javelin. 

So, let's get on with the tests.

M72A7 LAW

The effectiveness of this launcher is often contested. As a very light, portable and disposable anti-tank launcher they are often an invaluable part of any infantry squad. Can also be outfitted with a laser, for some reason.

Infantry: Upon testing, the launcher was quite effective against infantry. Killing all within 25m of the blast and causing shrapnel injuries to all outside, some shrapnel even landing close to me.

BTR-70: At 100m, one round was enough to destroy the vehicle on 10/10 tests from different angles on direct impact.

BMP-2: The same results, however the BMP was still able to move and fire for a short while after impact before it started to cook off (thick black smoke as it did so)

T-55: No effect from one shot. However, the M72 was enough to destroy a T-34 in one shot on 10/10 tests. 

M136/AT4 - Range 400m

RHS

HEAT

Infantry: Killed only the target of the impact, no injury to other targets

Vehicles: Effective in one round to every vehicle excluding the T-90, which although damaged was still very much operational. 

HEDP

Infantry: Very similar effects to the M72A7 round. Killed all infantry within 25m and caused shrapnel wounds to all other infantry, with some shrapnel landing on my position though none impacting me.

Vehicles: Hell, this thing is an M72 in a different package. Effective in one round on all vehicles up to and including a T-34, with no effect on more heavily armoured targets.

HP

Infantry: Same as HEAT. Killed only the impact target with no further injuries.

Vehicles: On 10/10 tests this destroyed every vehicle, including the T-90 in one round. Even able to destroy a T-90 from a glancing blow to the front armour. For the RHS version of the launcher, I'm calling this my "writer's choice". A fantastic launcher to carry.

SMAW - Range 500m

RHS

HEAA

For this test I will NOT be testing the NE rounds.

Infantry: Killed all infantry within 25m, wounds out to 50m were minor.

Vehicles: Effective on all vehicles from all angles. Definitely my "writer's choice" for the SMAW

HEDP

Infantry: Killed all infantry within 30m, knocked out and eventually killed out to 50m.

Vehicles: Effective on vehicles up to and including the T34, no damage any higher than this.

M3 MAAWS - Range 900m

RHS

HEAT

Infantry: Killed all within 25m, no injuries to others

Vehicles: Simply put this launcher is terrifying. Able to destroy everything except the T-90 on even the worst of glancing blows, with the T-90 surviving these with severe damage inflicted. Nothing stands up to the MAAWS HEAT rounds which makes them my writer's choice for this launcher

HEDP

Infantry: Killed all within 25m, injuries out to 50m.

Vehicles: Destroyed everything up to the T-55 in one round, able to damage tracks of a T-72. A nice middle of the road round.

HE

These rounds are particularly nasty due to their ability to be set up for an airburst. Using the scroll wheel, you can set up a distance after which the round will detonate, drastically improving it's effectiveness against infantry.

Infantry: Immediately killed all within 50m. Placed more to check and there were minor injuries out to 100m.

Vehicles: Able to destroy everything up to and including the BMP-2 in one round. No damage to other vehicles.

JAVELIN - Range Approx 2000m

RHS

Infantry: Killed within 5m of blast, no further injuries.

Vehicles: Destroyed everything, including the T-90 even up to 2km away. The top attack ability of these launchers makes them very, very deadly.

Summary

M72: If you have the carry weight available, there is almost no excuse to not carry one of these. Perhaps not the most effective launcher on earth, but in a bind it will most definitely be better than grenades or nothing at all.

AT4: Light and flexible. Top choice for an LAT who's hoping to put the hurt down on anything but the heaviest armour.

SMAW: Unfortunately living in the shadow of the MAAWS. A fantastic launcher in it's own right, but just not flexible or deadly enough to compete.

MAAWS: Medium weight, high effectiveness. Able to deal with just about every target in it's range. This is my writer's choice launcher and the epitome of MAT.

JAVELIN: Long range, deadly but very bulky. Top and only choice for HAT. My recommendation is the RHS version due to it's extra effectiveness against infantry.

Like last time, I will be adding more to this over time and adjusting what is written to better reflect the point I was trying to get across.

7 minutes ago, GandalfTheCray said:

Another great guide Blood.

Curiosity question - did you try shooting at the top-side of tanks? Often, AI tanks expose super squishy roof armour by climbing up hills in front of you.

I cooked a T-34/85 with a MAAWS HE into the top-side of the engine block at the rear.

I didn't, no. Purely for the sake of fairness I tested it all on a totally flat surface with side/rear/front impacts.

1 minute ago, GhostDragon said:

Yet another brilliant guide, moving into guides section. 

Feel free to continue commenting, discussing and editing. 

Really good work and it's great to see some of the myths busted about things we all use daily. 

That's the idea, trying to do some proper testing to put things to rest that I hear often on the enhanced server. 

15 minutes ago, Ryko said:

Two points to clarify

The tf47 at4s cs versions have reduced back blast

The current hat crates support the rhs launcher

I'll run some tests on the RHS Javelin later today. As for the backblast, I haven't used that as a measurable quality as in the etiquette section I've mentioned not firing unless you're absolutely sure there's nobody there, though I may edit these to include backblast as a quality.

1 hour ago, GhostDragon said:

Also would like to say you can swap the 3cb javelin from top down to direct attack :)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using a phone app that is really irritating because it constantly advertises itself.

Very true, and an excellent thing for attacking fast moving air targets!

Worth noting on the MAAWS; there's a difference in weight and space requirement on the rounds. HEAT > HEDP > HE

The Smoke rounds act as Vanilla smoke grenades, which basically means they're worthless.

Illumination is best left for the 40mm launchers. Don't waste your weight limit on it.

7 minutes ago, Amentes said:

Worth noting on the MAAWS; there's a difference in weight and space requirement on the rounds. HEAT > HEDP > HE

The Smoke rounds act as Vanilla smoke grenades, which basically means they're worthless.

Illumination is best left for the 40mm launchers. Don't waste your weight limit on it.

Unless you need the AO to be essentially daylight for a minute or so. At night I'd say it's worth carrying one or two in the MATmobile or in a crate, but never in person. The smokes are also situationally useful, but lobbing a smoke grenade 900m isn't worth carrying them for when a grenade or two in your vest does the job.

I'm really appreciating all of the positive feedback I'm getting on these. If anyone has an idea for anything else they'd like to see tested please feel free to fire me a PM and I'll see if it's viable. 

Edited to include the RHS Javelin, which to my surprise, was actually the superior weapon with a substantially larger blast radius.

Yeah against infantry I guess it is but realism and At/AA capability the 3CB launcher is better and to be honest the javelin Should not be used against infantry unless they are on static emplacements which the 3cb one works amazing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using a phone app that is really irritating because it constantly advertises itself.

18 minutes ago, GhostDragon said:

Yeah against infantry I guess it is but realism and At/AA capability the 3CB launcher is better and to be honest the javelin Should not be used against infantry unless they are on static emplacements which the 3cb one works amazing.

The RHS launcher locks on to the same targets in the same amount of time, fires out to the same range and with the same effectiveness against vehicles going by what I tested. It even uses the same ACE lock on system. The additional damage vs infantry was just a bonus and coupled with the ease of only having to carry a launcher and rockets, all in all it's just flat out more efficient.

Recently the FGM-148 has actually been killing infantry and buildings. Iraq and Afghanistan saw it being used mostly against soft targets; weapon crews, buildings and unarmored vehicles.

So much so that a new round was developed that incorporates a fragmenting steel case to increase the shrapnel factor.

While I agree that the Javelin shouldn't be used on infantry all that much in a Gauntlet setting; I'd still take the RHS version simply because it's better at doing it on the rare occasion that it may be called for.

I can even recall a situation where I personally asked a HAT team to rain hell on a group of infantry I didn't wanna have to deal with.

I can't call the 3CB more realistic when the warhead it fires has such a low injury radius on infantry targets. It's cool and all, but I'd say they're tied because of that.

Recently the FGM-148 has actually been killing infantry and buildings. Iraq and Afghanistan saw it being used mostly against soft targets; weapon crews, buildings and unarmored vehicles.

So much so that a new round was developed that incorporates a fragmenting steel case to increase the shrapnel factor.

While I agree that the Javelin shouldn't be used on infantry all that much in a Gauntlet setting; I'd still take the RHS version simply because it's better at doing it on the rare occasion that it may be called for.

I can even recall a situation where I personally asked a HAT team to rain hell on a group of infantry I didn't wanna have to deal with.

I can't call the 3CB more realistic when the warhead it fires has such a low injury radius on infantry targets. It's cool and all, but I'd say they're tied because of that.

Can snipe the HVT with a javelin so it still has its uses against soft targets, also only if at least we had access to say a anti-personnel round like the titan in vanilla arma, that has like less less anti-tank capabilities but like you said more fragmentation. But its up to the mod creator at the end of it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-5-8 at 2:16 PM, BloodInTheSand said:

M72A7 LAW

The effectiveness of this launcher is often contested. As a very light, portable and disposable anti-tank launcher they are often an invaluable part of any infantry squad. Can also be outfitted with a laser, for some reason.

Infantry: Upon testing, the launcher was quite effective against infantry. Killing all within 25m of the blast and causing shrapnel injuries to all outside, some shrapnel even landing close to me.

BTR-70: At 100m, one round was enough to destroy the vehicle on 10/10 tests from different angles on direct impact.

BMP-2: The same results, however the BMP was still able to move and fire for a short while after impact before it started to cook off (thick black smoke as it did so)

T-55: No effect from one shot. However, the M72 was enough to destroy a T-34 in one shot on 10/10 tests. 

I just spend some time testing the M72s and the AT4s and i found some interesting things:

Both the M72 and the AT4 (HEDP) will, when shot from above or in the rear armor of a T 90, cause immediate crew dismount and in most cases delayed detonation.  

In an urban combat situation this isn't an unthinkable scenario so i thought i'd share.

• 4 months later...

Another thing to note is that when facing something like a BTR, you are not limited to just an AT Launcher.

Teamleaders often carry M203's as a tool in warfare or of course the grenadier will have one and its HEDP round is capable of knocking out a BTR in 1-2 shells well placed into the upper armor. If you have an altitude advantage of say, 20m or more and are at a range of 200+m you will be able to hit the turret of the BTR cleanly with a HEDP 40mm shell and cook it off. This has been tested and proven by myself and a few others on various occasions in a combat situation.

Also remember that where HEAT is effective against medium to soft armor, HEDP is just as effective and also has the capabilities of having light HE effect when facing large enemy clusters or buildings. HP is also great for heavy armor but will over-penetrate softer armor, often leaving it completely operational, this is an issue when firing Sabot from a 120mm into BTR's and BMPs.

Additionally, don't disregard the use of an RPG-26 when in a pinch. Essentially it is a AT4 HP but in M72 LAW size, it's effectiveness against armor is almost unmatched by any other launcher of it's type and with usually knockout a BTR - BMP - T-series MBT in 1 solid hit through the frontal, side or rear armor. There has been times where I've swapped a M72 LAW for one if I was thrown into a highly dangerous scenario against tougher armor pieces. Just note that the RPG-26 is purely an anti-armor weapon, it will have no effect against infantry unless you used it as a slug loaded shotgun.

The RSHG-2 on the other hand... words have not yet been created to describe the sheer blast and shrapnel damage that thing brings but lets just say that if you see a cluster of enemies in a 150x150m area, they will at the very least receive a light-moderate wound. I guess the best way I can describe is it is like carrying a M3 MAAWs HE round but in M72 LAW size and rough weight.

You also haven't lived when you've sat on a hill about 200m above sea level and engaged a contact 2000-2500m away with a M3 Maaws at sea level, it's like a mortar. :P 

13 hours ago, oberKGBler said:

Hi. Thats a great guide. 

Did you try the MAAWS HEDP rounds against structures ...Like a building with troops inside? That should be where this round shines. :)

I didn't, as building destruction is rarely the appropriate course of action. Clearing it should always be the first port of call, especially with the amount of civillians on stiletto.

3 hours ago, Minipily said:

Another thing to note is that when facing something like a BTR, you are not limited to just an AT Launcher.

Teamleaders often carry M203's as a tool in warfare or of course the grenadier will have one and its HEDP round is capable of knocking out a BTR in 1-2 shells well placed into the upper armor. If you have an altitude advantage of say, 20m or more and are at a range of 200+m you will be able to hit the turret of the BTR cleanly with a HEDP 40mm shell and cook it off. This has been tested and proven by myself and a few others on various occasions in a combat situation.

Also remember that where HEAT is effective against medium to soft armor, HEDP is just as effective and also has the capabilities of having light HE effect when facing large enemy clusters or buildings. HP is also great for heavy armor but will over-penetrate softer armor, often leaving it completely operational, this is an issue when firing Sabot from a 120mm into BTR's and BMPs.

Additionally, don't disregard the use of an RPG-26 when in a pinch. Essentially it is a AT4 HP but in M72 LAW size, it's effectiveness against armor is almost unmatched by any other launcher of it's type and with usually knockout a BTR - BMP - T-series MBT in 1 solid hit through the frontal, side or rear armor. There has been times where I've swapped a M72 LAW for one if I was thrown into a highly dangerous scenario against tougher armor pieces. Just note that the RPG-26 is purely an anti-armor weapon, it will have no effect against infantry unless you used it as a slug loaded shotgun.

The RSHG-2 on the other hand... words have not yet been created to describe the sheer blast and shrapnel damage that thing brings but lets just say that if you see a cluster of enemies in a 150x150m area, they will at the very least receive a light-moderate wound. I guess the best way I can describe is it is like carrying a M3 MAAWs HE round but in M72 LAW size and rough weight.

You also haven't lived when you've sat on a hill about 200m above sea level and engaged a contact 2000-2500m away with a M3 Maaws at sea level, it's like a mortar. :P 

I suppose now that we have a map with the standard BLUFOR as Spetsnaz I really should add the RPG series weapons.

10 hours ago, Minipily said:

That ain't an AT weapon, that is a fat man with drastically more range

17 hours ago, BloodInTheSand said:

I didn't, as building destruction is rarely the appropriate course of action. Clearing it should always be the first port of call, especially with the amount of civillians on stiletto.

I suppose now that we have a map with the standard BLUFOR as Spetsnaz I really should add the RPG series weapons.

I'd be happy to give some insight about the weapons if you'd need a hand, myself and @J0hnson are experienced in these Eastern Weapons.