Vehicle Theft Prevention

Aegis_RVIR

Question

So, after a good while of not being alive I returned to the land of the living.

After a bit of thinking and exploring free steam games, I stumbled on Planetside 2 (Hold on to your drinks for a moment) and it had a system in place I am pretty sure that I found a system that prevented your vehicles to be stolen. Now, I am no programmer and I have no clue if this is even possible to implement, but here we go:

• When you enter an unclaimed vehicle, you "claim" it. Preventing others from entering.
  • When a certain menu is openend, you get 3 options: Closed, group only and open.
    • Closed prevents anyone except you to enter
    • Group only allows group members (duh)
    • Open allows..... Do I need to say it? [YES].... it allows anyone to enter.
  • after a certain amount of time (Different per vehicle?) the vehicle gets unclaimed

Feedback please!

(just remember, my brain is still a bit fuzzy so I might not be the brightest around)

18 answers to this question

Many of the GTA can be prevented. U painstakingly drive to AO just for somebody to jump in and drive it straight into enemy's armour or anti tank team.

More scripting needs to be done but a good 5mins to reset the vehicles' status is fair.

1) Troll goes in base, enters all vehicles and locks them all up to himself

2) Watches the world burn

The only situation where I would see this being useful is in the (future) reward system where the vehicle would be automatically locked for a few minutes to the person/group that spawn it.

30 minutes ago, Lost Bullet said:

1) Troll goes in base, enters all vehicles and locks them all up to himself

2) Watches the world burn

The only situation where I would see this being useful is in the (future) reward system where the vehicle would be automatically locked for a few minutes to the person/group that spawn it.

I don't think this would be too hard to fix since you could probably limit each player to only claim one or two vehicles. So claiming a new one would reset his previous claims

I think Ryko is planning on implementing a very similar system for the reward vehicles, so it could be added to all other vehicles as well.

41 minutes ago, Jason. said:

I don't think this would be too hard to fix since you could probably limit each player to only claim one or two vehicles. So claiming a new one would reset his previous claims

Yep if you can only ever claim one vehicle at a time, and there is a timer when you are not inside it, could work.

13 minutes ago, GamerbugUK said:

Yep if you can only ever claim one vehicle at a time, and there is a timer when you are not inside it, could work.

The base protection should still apply too.

Maybe use the system (or something simliar to it) thats currently preventing anyone but pilots from being able to enter cockpits. 

Then again I have literally no idea how all of this stuff is coded so it might be more difficult than we're expecting. 

1 hour ago, ZeroZeroSix said:

The base protection should still apply too.

Maybe use the system (or something simliar to it) thats currently preventing anyone but pilots from being able to enter cockpits. 

Then again I have literally no idea how all of this stuff is coded so it might be more difficult than we're expecting. 

I assume it'd be more like the friendly fire protection, "you may not fire while at base"/"you may not lock a vehicle whilst at base". Once you get x meters outside you can lock the vehicle.

Of course that won't stop people stealing a side mission reward that's just spawned, or a vehicle you are loading up with supplies.

Maybe have vehicle's lockable at base, but once you lock a vehicle, you cannot lock another for x minutes.

2 hours ago, Jason. said:

18 minutes ago, GamerbugUK said:

I assume it'd be more like the friendly fire protection, "you may not fire while at base"/"you may not lock a vehicle whilst at base". Once you get x meters outside you can lock the vehicle.

Controlling if that unit is the "owner" of that vehicle is straightforward and would just be similar to the pilot lock of helicopters.

The problem is prevent the player from locking several vehicles (1 or more), as from what I'm thinking, everytime the player tried to lock a vehicle a map wide call for all vehicles add to be made and check each one for the locking status. And THAT is a performance killer.

48 minutes ago, Lost Bullet said:

Controlling if that unit is the "owner" of that vehicle is straightforward and would just be similar to the pilot lock of helicopters.

The problem is prevent the player from locking several vehicles (1 or more), as from what I'm thinking, everytime the player tried to lock a vehicle a map wide call for all vehicles add to be made and check each one for the locking status. And THAT is a performance killer.

I don't know how the code would work for Arma, but...

If the vehicle that a player claims is saved on the server, then when the player tries to claim another vehicle, the server can check if the player has any claimed vehicles and then remove that claim. I don't see any need to need to check all other vehicles on the map?

11 minutes ago, Jason. said:

If the vehicle that a player claims is saved on the server, then when the player tries to claim another vehicle, the server can check if the player has any claimed vehicles and then remove that claim.

I think the code should be concentrated more on player: "IF VehLock = 1; ELSE ...."

I dunno what I am writing... Not sure if IF ELSE is a thing anymore...