Stop camping of the A-164 and Use of AA jet as CAS on EU1

Ziggy-

Question

Can we please introduce a rule in which a pilot is not allowed to take up a slot for the purpose of sitting on the Molos airfield waiting for the A 164 to spawn.

Can we please enforce the rule to restrict the AA jet to AA engagements only.

Thanks

10 answers to this question

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 6:08 PM, Ziggy- said:

Can we please introduce a rule in which a pilot is not allowed to take up a slot for the purpose of sitting on the Molos airfield waiting for the A 164 to spawn.

As Stan has mentioned:

4.1.4.       Pilots:

4.1.4.1.            Pilots are a vital element in flow of missions and so are most closely scrutinised for poor behaviour or poor ability.

which you will find here

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 6:08 PM, Ziggy- said:

and again

Examples of Poor Piloting:

1. Misuse of aircraft: CAS with the AA jet, practising, showboating and wasting resources.  found here

7 minutes ago, Ziggy- said:

Play your role covers this.  Sitting around waiting for something to spawn is not playing your role as a pilot. If a spartan or admin sees someone sitting at an FOB waiting for a jet they will most likely tell that pilot to start flying.

9 minutes ago, Ziggy- said:

We are enforcing that rule.  We just can't see everything all the time.  If you see someone using the AA jet as a CAS jet feel free to make a member of staff aware of this.

*edit*

Are you not the guy that just yesterday drove a Cheetah + user into the water cause you couldnt stand him "camping outside of 3,5k to AO" ... those were your words,no?

Edited by TheScar
couldnt resist /removed

As a seasoned pilot in several flight sims, I have to question / wonder why it is wrong to use an AA jet for CAS opportunities? Especially in I&A, where at times only an AA jet is available and there are no immediate AA threats (e.g. after radio tower has been taken down), do you want that asset to just sit there unused, or the pilot to just fly around aimlessly until something pops up? (latter being most likely, since almost every pilot seems to want to fly a jet)

Obviously, in the Buzzard (currently the only AA jet), you're not as protected or well-equipped for CAS as you would be in the Wipeout or Neophron, but you still have a gun that is perfectly capable of suppressing / taking out ground targets... You clearly don't want to take on a Kamysh or Tigris with a Buzzard, but unless you still have stand-off weapons available, you shouldn't come close to such a high-risk AO with any jet anyway.

I didn't make the rule, but it seems very sensible to me.

The 20mm on the Buzzard has almost zero splash damage, meaning to kill an infantryman, you have to hit him with it; near him is not good enough. This means when a pilot engages infantry, while they may indeed still suffer suppression, he will almost certainly not kill anyone, and even doing damage is unlikely. Add to this, often a pilot will be engaging a point where he thinks infantry is, but they actually aren't.

All told, you end up with an AA asset that often gets shot down while failing to do a job it was never any good at in the first place. This means it's not available when a job arises that it can actually succeed at.

By that reasoning, I find it to be a perfectly sensible rule, as players frankly can't be trusted to make this conclusion themselves.

@Eagle-Eye You're right about all that, the AA jet certainly COULD be used (somewhat) effectively against ground targets.

However the reason I think the rule should stay in place is because it is the only way to stop dumb pubs from ignoring the CAP role of the jet and instead flying into AOs full of AA and wasting the jet, which happens a lot even WITH the rule in place.

I'l be honest I still don't see the point of the AA jet. Someone piloting it essentially has nothing to do for long periods, costing a vortex slot for almost no gain. (yes I realise it has an amazing FLAIR system on it, but since it's hard to correlate where you're looking at with map co-ords I'm discounting that). I'd sooner see it replaced with the CAS variant but with the ATGMs removed. (maybe 2 more AA missiles or GBUs to counterbalance)

18 minutes ago, Nibbs said:

I'l be honest I still don't see the point of the AA jet. Someone piloting it essentially has nothing to do for long periods, costing a vortex slot for almost no gain. (yes I realise it has an amazing FLAIR system on it, but since it's hard to correlate where you're looking at with map co-ords I'm discounting that). I'd sooner see it replaced with the CAS variant but with the ATGMs removed. (maybe 2 more AA missiles or GBUs to counterbalance)

The idea is that you take it up, complete your mission (destroy hostile air threats) and stick around until the radio tower goes down, then land and go back to being Vortex as usual. It's not meant to be kept in the air for extended periods, as, like you say, it's a waste of a vortex slot.

21 minutes ago, Nibbs said:

It depends, enemy CAS spawning seems quite unpredictable, sometimes you have multiple jets causing chaos to friendly helis, other times they're nowhere to be seen.

The way I see it that yes, having a jet up means one less transport heli, however the transport helis that are up can be much more reliable since they shouldn't be getting shot down by enemy CAS as often.

The buzzard CAS (with ATGMs removed) has previously been a solid no from the admins, apparently it's too powerful and has too many issues.