ArmA 3 Jet DLC

SiegeSix

So, I had the pleasure of entering the development branch, which gives me access to the up and coming Jet DLC, and I must I had a blast. Literally. The branch didn't give me fully access to the custom loadout, but I can tell you this: There are new vehicles with a [Dynamic Loadout] tag, which for now can only give you access to radars and sensors. 

Also... there is a new throttle system, goes from 0-100%, can be a pain in the ass for taxi, since air brakes needs to be a keybind on its own now, and you need the air brakes to maintain a solid taxi speed with a 25% thrust. The advanced damage model really is strange, but enjoyable. I took a severe hit on my tail by a Medium Range Anti-Air missile, which knocked out my right engine as well as my radar and helmet hud. With the new eject feature (similiar to the one on Enhanced) you always got a way out if you can't win the fight.

A quick question for you guys, did any of you try out the development branch and if so, what did you like and dislike?

I just really hope we can get the Eurofighterish&Rafaleish-like AAF plane on AWE, i get why we won't use the CSAT ant NATO gen5 fighters as they're well, at least way too unrealistically overpowered, the AAF jet is a gen 4, slightly slower and quite a realistically power full jet, beautifully looking, and amazingly made. 
Lets have hopes bois

19 minutes ago, Miczils said:

I just really hope we can get the Eurofighter-like AAF plane on AWE, i get why we won't use the CSAT ant NATO gen5 fighters as they're well, at least way too unrealistically overpowered, the AAF jet is a gen 4, slightly slower and quite a realistically power full jet, beautifully looking, and amazingly made. 
Lets have hopes bois

From what I've played of them so far the AAF jet is probably my favourite, it's only a tad slower than the others (still very fast) but it handles beautifully, so is the most fun to fly imo.

What makes the other jets so much better though? Can't really be weapons since that's customisable now, is it the stealth?

1 hour ago, SiegeSix said:

The branch didn't give me fully access to the custom loadout, but I can tell you this: There are new vehicles with a [Dynamic Loadout] tag, which for now can only give you access to radars and sensors. 

What do you mean by "didn't give me fully access to the custom loadout", you can completely customise the loadout on the new jets and the old ones with the [Dynamic Loadout] tag, you can do it with most helicopters as well.

Also... there is a new throttle system, goes from 0-100%, can be a pain in the ass for taxi, since air brakes needs to be a keybind on its own now, and you need the air brakes to maintain a solid taxi speed with a 25% thrust.

I'm not sure how I feel about the new throttle system, it'll take some getting used to.

Why do you need airbrakes to maintain a certain speed, can't you taxi at 20% thrust (for example)?

The advanced damage model really is strange, but enjoyable. I took a severe hit on my tail by a Medium Range Anti-Air missile, which knocked out my right engine as well as my radar and helmet hud. With the new eject feature (similiar to the one on Enhanced) you always got a way out if you can't win the fight.

I haven't tried out the new damage model much, but it looks like it's a HUGE improvement over the old system, which is basically dead or not dead.

I've only tried ejecting once on the new NATO jet and I noticed you are ejected with the seat now, is that what you mean by "new" (I'm not familiar with enhanced btw)?

Haven't tried the dev-branch yet, but I'm glad they FINALLY found a way to fix that throttle issue. Definitely took them long enough. :rolleyes: If I understand correctly, you still need to apply some throttle to move forward, though? (would be a shame, cause unrealistic)

AAF-jet is inspired more on Gripen and Rafale, by the way, not the Eurofighter.

40 minutes ago, Jason. said:

What do you mean by "didn't give me fully access to the custom loadout", you can completely customise the loadout on the new jets and the old ones with the [Dynamic Loadout] tag, you can do it with most helicopters as well.

I can't find a way to change the ardament on the aircrafts.

41 minutes ago, Jason. said:

I haven't tried out the new damage model much, but it looks like it's a HUGE improvement over the old system, which is basically dead or not dead.

I've only tried ejecting once on the new NATO jet and I noticed you are ejected with the seat now, is that what you mean by "new" (I'm not familiar with enhanced btw)?

The one you get familiar with on Enhanced basically gives you two beeps, then fires you out of the aircraft, before decending to 200M and deploying a steerable parachute for you. The new one just ejects you and opens up after 150-200 is reached.

39 minutes ago, Eagle-Eye said:

If I understand correctly, you still need to apply some throttle to move forward, though? (would be a shame, cause unrealistic)

Yes, putting the throttle at 0% is like turning off the engine while still having engine power. Putting it up to 100% is like afterburners. 80% is where you normally would fly at. 20-25% is taxi.

11 hours ago, Eagle-Eye said:

Haven't tried the dev-branch yet, but I'm glad they FINALLY found a way to fix that throttle issue. Definitely took them long enough. :rolleyes: If I understand correctly, you still need to apply some throttle to move forward, though? (would be a shame, cause unrealistic)

AAF-jet is inspired more on Gripen and Rafale, by the way, not the Eurofighter.

Didn't give it much attention, you're right, looks Euro/Gripen-ish.

15 hours ago, SiegeSix said:

I can't find a way to change the ardament on the aircrafts.

If you double click on the vehicle after spawning it it you will open a new window where you can configure loads of stuff for that unit, one of the settings is called "pylons" (something like that anyway :P ), from there you can change which weapon is on each pylon of the jet.

22 minutes ago, Jason. said:

If you double click on the vehicle after spawning it it you will open a new window where you can configure loads of stuff for that unit, one of the settings is called "pylons" (something like that anyway :P ), from there you can change which weapon is on each pylon of the jet.

Yeah, first time I tried it out I didn't have the option. Upon reinstalling the branch I got the option to change the "pylons".

20 hours ago, Jason. said:

From what I've played of them so far the AAF jet is probably my favourite, it's only a tad slower than the others (still very fast) but it handles beautifully, so is the most fun to fly imo.

What makes the other jets so much better though? Can't really be weapons since that's customisable now, is it the stealth?

It's the slightly unreal stealth/radar-jamming capabilities, if that comes in. The weapons can be customisable but both CSAT and NATO jets both have more pylons. 
Im thinking more of the realistic aspect, i think both those Gen 5 jets are slightly, too futuristic for some people, even id love to have the F/A-181 Black Wasp || on AWE, 
Id really love if we didn't fully cancel out on the new jets on AWE as the detail level is so high and often have none, or very few problems - they're made by bohemia. 
As on AWE we prefer the realistic vehicles etc. the Gen 4. AAF Gryphon seems like the closest in terms of manouverability and fire-power to a mid 21st century fighter jet - F16, Eurofighter, Gripen, Rafale-M

Of course then there is the question of a Black Wasp 2 as a close resemblance of the F35/Raptor, but il leave that to Ryko.