Arma Aircraft Carrier (Jets DLC) CVN-87

BenjaminHL

Glad to see this, A bit back in the video they announced the jets dlc and the other shiz I saw a small clip of people in the capturing suits doing aircraft carrier animations, As far as I know this is only a static object and not drivable.

Fiddled with Dev a bit.

I'm pretty underwhelmed by the Sentinel UAV, as its weapons package leaves much to be desired when compared to a modern MQ-9 Reaper. It's much faster than the Greyhawk though, and supposedly should be harder to lock a missile onto.

The new single-seats are reasonably fun, but honestly seem mostly about air-to-air combat. I was especially disheartened by the Black Wasp's internal weapons bay, which only holds a combination of two AGM-65s or GBU-12s, but leaving enough room for multiple AMRAAMs. Would have been nice if more of the otherwise fairly spacious internal bay could have been used for ATG weaponry.

So far, the dynamic loadout system seems to work well, and also extends to many of the older vehicles. Replacing the Wipeouts Shreiker missiles with HE DAGRs is nice, but especially with the Wipeout the possibilities are many, due to its lower speed letting it employ many of the weapons otherwise found on roter-wings.

I also haven't seen any weapon-vehicle combinations that I found to be unreal. The speedier fixed-wings can't use DAGRs, for example, just like a real-world Hellfire wouldn't work.

On the subject of new weapons, all I've seen so far is Mk82 bombs; that is the equivalent of a GBU-12 without any guidance.

I'm hoping we'll at least get to see some variation in bomb size and yield.

The new "Gunner Camera", as used both on UAVs and on single-seat jets, is great. Very easy to use, with none of the old fighting for control; at least in single-player.

I haven't yet found a way to edit dynamic loadout mid-mission. So far, it seems to be editor-only.

In the future I'd hope this would be up to the scenario creator, on a per-vehicle basis, possibly as a simple toggle on each vehicle when creating the scenario.

The laser guidance so far works with DAGRs, Skalpels and GBU-12s, and I've noticed with the GBUs, I can make them fly sideways a bit more than previously possible by moving the laser after dropping one.

The new ejection system is very pretty, but so far only works with the new jets. I learned that the hard way, so remember to pack a chute if you're flying a Wipeout.

Throttle control system now lets you set throttle as a percentage of maximum. This lets you taxi without furiously tapping any buttons, and generally gives you much finer control over your aircraft in flight. The airbrakes, previously automatic, are now their own function, manually operated. So far, I've not found a toggle-on switch, but only a hold-to-brake key.

2 hours ago, Amentes said:

I'm pretty underwhelmed by the Sentinel UAV, as its weapons package leaves much to be desired when compared to a modern MQ-9 Reaper. It's much faster than the Greyhawk though, and supposedly should be harder to lock a missile onto.

Agreed it doesn't seem like much of an improvement atm, but as you'd expect it's all about the stealth.

Would have been nice if more of the otherwise fairly spacious internal bay could have been used for ATG weaponry.

Dynamic loadouts are still very WIP, so hopefully we'll get more weapon options later.

I also haven't seen any weapon-vehicle combinations that I found to be unreal. The speedier fixed-wings can't use DAGRs, for example, just like a real-world Hellfire wouldn't work.

Spoiler

20170410164850_1.thumb.jpg.6b66c8376a98ee10dc0bf24b11d6b8f7.jpg:D

On the subject of new weapons, all I've seen so far is Mk82 bombs; that is the equivalent of a GBU-12 without any guidance.

I'm hoping we'll at least get to see some variation in bomb size and yield.

I have no idea how different they are, but there are a number of "new" weapons on the new jets like the Macer II, AMRAAM D, etc.

1 hour ago, Amentes said:

The new "Gunner Camera", as used both on UAVs and on single-seat jets, is great. Very easy to use, with none of the old fighting for control; at least in single-player.

The laser guidance so far works with DAGRs, Skalpels and GBU-12s, and I've noticed with the GBUs, I can make them fly sideways a bit more than previously possible by moving the laser after dropping one.

The gunner camera and laser guidance has been in the (normal) game for a while now, and at least for me, the camera's been very smooth as well (in multiplayer).

Throttle control system now lets you set throttle as a percentage of maximum.

This is something I've wanted for a long, long time in Arma. Although you tend to be able to hold a consistent speed by just releasing the throttle, the percentages will be excellent for controlling your speed more in the air.

4 hours ago, Jason. said:

The gunner camera and laser guidance has been in the (normal) game for a while now, and at least for me, the camera's been very smooth as well (in multiplayer).

It really isn't the same. For one, you can gimbal-lock it and still be able to move the camera, something that has not previously been possible.

9 hours ago, Amentes said:

It really isn't the same. For one, you can gimbal-lock it and still be able to move the camera, something that has not previously been possible.

Maybe they have changed it in some ways I don't know, but you can currently lock the camera on a target and be able to move it at the same time, it's not on the UAVs but is on the jets.

edit

Just tried it out on dev, it seems the same for jets and they've added it to the UAVs as default.

For vanilla at least I believe only the Wasp and UCAV Sentinel will be able to land on the carrier with a tailhook, like they do in real life. (The F-18 and X-47B). I'm sure modders will bring out some different models to land on there in the future.

Looking forward to seeing the Air-Air side, although @Amentes didn't give it a great review I'm sure it'll work out eventually.

I can already see some silly things happening like an overwhelming air to ground loadout, mavericks are heavy bruh, I hope weapon mass contributes to the aircraft's total mass... Missile physics and tracking in ArmA have always had me concerned so it'd be interesting to see how this DLC works out.

fingers crossed it's casual enough to play with (looks like it is) and serious enough to satisfy the needs of simulation enthusiasts (looks like it might not be), I understand there's a balance to be struck in ArmA.

• 2 weeks later...