AWE Polls

Hello.

As some of you may know, we as a team voted on which mods we would personally prefer to keep in AWE. And as this is a community and the players make the server, we decided to reach out to a few of you privately and ask that same opinion.

That wasn't enough, and we want to make sure we make the right decisions regarding the future of the server. As such, we want to hear everyone's opinion on the matter, which you can do here in this topic.

Finally, here are the results.

Spoiler

25 people voted on this poll.

First graphic was auto-generated.

Second graphic is a courtesy of @Gamerhero

Mods to keep

CoCQi0X.png

Lja8JTD.png

Also here are the results of the public map poll.

Spoiler

31 people voted on this poll.

First graphic was auto-generated.

Second graphic is a courtesy of @Gamerhero

Top 3 favorite maps

35QN9bL.png

IiXrF73.png

To give my opinion now to everyone:

(If you don´t want to read and just want to see what I am thinking: green=stay, yellow=not sure, red=go)

BAF: I think that the BAF Equipement is unbalanced since it is for example when compared to UCP/OCP probably always better since it has lower weight but mostly more capacity. Because of this I think that BAF things should either be removed or limited so that they can only be picked when played as BAF.

MAPS: Well I think all maps should stay because they offer diversity. I personally especially like Abramia and Lingor/Dingor because of the nice terrain and the possibility of Boat insertions. Also I very much like Fallujah because of the close quarter combat it offers (these are my top 3 map poll picks).

AAV: Well I don´t really care about this one since it barely is used because most time there will be insertions by helicopters and if there is no Vortex people take Prowlers/MRAPS/etc but not the AAVs. Because of this I think it could be removed.

Harrier/Hornet: I think these ones should either be both removed or both stay since they are basically the same just form different factions (but in the case that BAF should be removed obiously just the Harrier has to go with it). These ones are also barely used but also offer nice potential. But since they are so less used I also think that they could be removed but would like to see them stay since they could be great if enough people are online.

cTAB: Well these ones are just great and should stay since they are good for player comfort and are better then the vanilla GPS.

FHQ: This mod should stay because it offers actually nice gear. It is not a must have but a nice to have.

Mine Detector: This one should stay because it makes minedetecting more realistic and mines with it more dangerous what is a good thing in my opinion.

Profect OPFOR: This one should also stay because it is nice to not always shoot just russians for example.

RHS: These ones are a must stay on AWE I think because AWE is about combat with realistic units/weapons/etc that is actually in use. These Mods offer exactly this and are necessary because of this since vanilla Arma 3 is mostly offering futuristic things.

ShackTack UI: Should also stay since it is great for player comfort.

Spec4Gear: I think this one should go because it offers just 2 helmets that already come with RHS, 2 backbacks (I think we have enough backpacks to choose from) and a lot of vests in different camos that aren´t needed since we also have already enough vests to choose from. Also it offers a strange looking NV.

tactical Beards: In my opinion these ones should also go since they are extrem barely used and just increasing loading times (even it´s just a tiny mod).

Launchers: Well if we want to have MAT/HAT these ones are needed since without this mod we won´t have any SMAW etc. Because of this they should stay.

Launchers: As Ryko pointed out below: RHS also offers the SMAW. With that now knowing it don´t see any reason to keep this mod now since we then already have enough launchers (also for MAT/HAT)

XLA Fixed Arsenal: This one is difficult since at one side it is super annoying that it sorts saved loadouts by date (!!!!) instead by name but on the other side it allows you to load saved loadouts that contain banned items wich is not only nice to have but also necessery since it will always replace your "linked" radio with a new one and I think (but I might be wrong on this one) when it does this it means that you couldn´t load your saved loadouts without this Mod. But since I don´t know an alternative this one should also stay.

Best regards

Noah_Hero :)

Edited by Noah_Hero
Edited my opinion on Launchers because I missed that RHS also offers the SMAW.

56 minutes ago, Noah_Hero said:

Harrier/Hornet: I think these ones should either be both removed or both stay since they are basically the same just form different factions (but in the case that BAF should be removed obiously just the Harrier has to go with it).

Harrier is a separate mod.

Spec4Gear: I think this one should go because it offers just 2 helmets that already come with RHS, 2 backbacks (I think we have enough backpacks to choose from) and a lot of vests in different camos that aren´t needed since we also have already enough vests to choose from. Also it offers a strange looking NV.

The backpacks are blacklisted because they have a huge carrying capacity in relation to their size. The vests look cool but I'm not blown away. The Nightvision goggles throw an error. Also there's suspicion it may cause some people to have problems loading the mission. I'd be 100% cool with the mod going.

tactical Beards: In my opinion these ones should also go since they are extrem barely used and just increasing loading times (even it´s just a tiny mod).

There will be fights if you try and separate people from their beards.

Launchers: Well if we want to have MAT/HAT these ones are needed since without this mod we won´t have any SMAW etc. Because of this they should stay.

TF47 launchers only add the CS Launchers and M3 MAAWS, the SMAW and regular AT-4s are part of RHS.

XLA Fixed Arsenal: This one is difficult since at one side it is super annoying that it sorts saved loadouts by date (!!!!) instead by name but on the other side it allows you to load saved loadouts that contain banned items wich is not only nice to have but also necessery since it will always replace your "linked" radio with a new one and I think (but I might be wrong on this one) when it does this it means that you couldn´t load your saved loadouts without this Mod. But since I don´t know an alternative this one should also stay.

Fixed Arsenal allows us to whitelist and blacklist items with more fidelity than the regular arsenal. This means that we can let the arsenal police the server rules in terms of what gear can be carried by what player role, rather than having the moderators enforce these rules. Previously the system was in place but if you had one piece of blacklisted gear it nulled the whole loadout - with Fixed Arsenal it will just load the whitelisted items and notify you which items didn't pass.  Either version, the TFAR radios have a chance of being removed due to the way TFAR (and ACRE, for that matter) handle radio assignment. Golden rule is always check your radio in the arsenal to ensure you have one.

Just now, Ryko said:

Harrier is a separate mod.

I know. It was meant like: If you remove the Hornet as CAS than you should also remove the Harrier as CAS since they fulfill the same role.;)

1 minute ago, Ryko said:

The backpacks are blacklisted because they have a huge carrying capacity in relation to their size. The vests look cool but I'm not blown away. The Nightvision goggles throw an error. Also there's suspicion it may cause some people to have problems loading the mission. I'd be 100% cool with the mod going.

Nice to hear! :)

2 minutes ago, Ryko said:

There will be fights if you try and separate people from their beards.

Hahaha, ok. :lol: As said it is jsut my personal opinion and if here are people that really want to have their beards it´s now the time for them to raise their voices.;)

3 minutes ago, Ryko said:

TF47 launchers only add the CS Launchers and M3 MAAWS, the SMAW and regular AT-4s are part of RHS.

Yes, you are right (but the TF47 also adds in 2 versions of the SMAW). But as you said since RHS also provides these the mod could also go. Will Edit the post for this!:)

4 minutes ago, Ryko said:

Fixed Arsenal allows us to whitelist and blacklist items with more fidelity than the regular arsenal. This means that we can let the arsenal police the server rules in terms of what gear can be carried by what player role, rather than having the moderators enforce these rules. Previously the system was in place but if you had one piece of blacklisted gear it nulled the whole loadout - with Fixed Arsenal it will just load the whitelisted items and notify you which items didn't pass.  Either version, the TFAR radios have a chance of being removed due to the way TFAR (and ACRE, for that matter) handle radio assignment. Golden rule is always check your radio in the arsenal to ensure you have one.

Thats why I think it has to stay even if I hate it for the way it sorts my loadouts.:unsure::)

Although I already gave my input in the fashion of these polls I wanted to clarify and support some of my choices a bit more clearly, along with some opinions about what to add and subtract. I would like to see, along with many others players, these mods leave: AAV, Spec4, TacBeards, Harrier, and Hornet. 

AAV: It simply doesn't work in water which is its only cool factor

Spec4: Adds admittedly very cool gear but some that is subpar to RHS stuff along with creating errors I see no reason to keep it. I also think we should look into the VSM mods to possibly replace it though.

TacBeards: It is culter and they look awful too. 

Harrier: It is a bad plane that is almost never utilized in its VTOL role, and along with having the BAF version already it makes no sense to have this standalone mod anymore.

Hornet: It is very rarely used and when it is used in its current implementation it is overpowered to all hell because of its combination of a UAV and the payload of an A-10. We also do not use the Nimitz mod (something I would love too see and a possible addition) so its place on the ground is a little confusing. 

However, with the removal of the two plane mods I think there are better options out there that we should replace them with. For the Hornet I think it should be replaced with the standalone f-16 mod. It is more balanced while also providing a better yet more challenging aircraft. The mod also allows for the easy addition and deletion of other aircraft from the series with a very low data cap. I think it is a great replacement for the f-18. To replace the harrier I think the f-35 from USAF is the perfect pick. It is a middle of the road, jack of all trades type of plane, that would be very useful to fill the gap between the A-10 and proposed f-16. It also fills the gap that the BAF vehicles leave open. They don't supply a capable plane for the British forces, and the f-35 is great and realistic. 

Like I said at the beginning just my opinions and ideas,

Ben

@BenjaminHL nice to see also others are clarifiying the choices they made in the polls for the community!:)

And I totally agree with you on S4G, tacBeards and the AAV.:) Just with the Harrier/Hornet I am unsure if it would be a good idea to change them with a weaker/more challanging jet as you suggested. I think so because this may cause that these ones would even lesser be used than the ones we have now.:unsure:

@Noah_Hero one of the main reasons they are not used is because CMD elements often think the pilots have too much power and it is too easy for them to kill the entire AO, and even though it is against the rules commanders often think it will still happen. These planes aren't challenging in a sense to fly it is arma every plane is "easy" but instead I meant less over powered in combat not to outright use.

I think both are seen as less ground oriented and more towards air combat, and to effectively conduct ground attack ops both planes need very good and direct communication with ground assets if they want to be successful. 

Also so I should have been a little more clear. I meant against the rules to wipe the ao without permission, not engage period. And even though it is a rule many ground commanders still feel that air assets will break this rule.

@Noah_Hero

General problem with Jets, as well as high-powered attack helicopters, is they're practically impervious to attack. They can sit at high altitude, where they won't be fired at at all.

Many of them also have an extremely easy time finding and destroying any kind of enemy asset. The recent change of the Apache to the non-Longbow version combats that problem. It's very enticing to overuse the heavy air assets to a point where it takes away from the Infantry experience.

I've been advocating single-seat jets for a while, as such a jet armed mostly with laser or GPS-guided bombs requires much more concise communication and teamwork with ground forces to be effective.

Personally, I feel that there are systems out there with better ordnance selection and systems than the current F/A-18, but even changing the 18 to single-seat could make it a more interesting asset for ground forces to work with, if the pilot can be spared from transport duties, which certainly isn't always the case.

Just to elaborate for Ryko a little....

Some of the bigger and more modern SAMs that come with POOK can deny any air threat out there from ~35 to 9000 meters for about 7km out. So basically it only allows small and fast helicopters and says go fuck yourself to everything else. This makes my other suggestions a lot more sensible because both the f-35 and f-16 have access to that gps system and stand—off missle like weapons that are ideal for SAM defended areas. They also have a more realistic counter measures suite than what we use now that would make it very hard but not impossible to defend themselves from various SAMs.

I really do hope we add POOK especially as we are getting rid of some other less important mods.

I would say the support will come because it received an update kinda recently and it is a fairly popular mod. So by the time we would be able to discuss and make a decision on it I am sure compatibility will be there.

Also @Amentes why is it not ready? It think it is. It works very well and has a wide variety of options for SAMs that are realistic.

@BenjaminHL I very much like the idea of adding this SAM mod because it'll probably forces us not to always trust  helicopter insertions while making ground vehicle and boat insertions more attractive:)

The only problem I see is that this could make jets even less popular because probably command will be thinking twice before ordering a cas run with the danger of directly loosing this asset.:(

I disagree because it will restore the balance of aircraft in many situations. The two mods I have been talking about also provide ideal ways to defend themselves from a distance while still being vulnerable up close. The Harrier now is very underpowered and wouldn't work well with the proposed additions while the f-18 would still be overpowered. 

I just think it would make commanders think more. Plus it often isn't appropriate to use jets and commanders should weigh their options. Also the lose of an asset in gauntlet isn't game ruining and it can be relatively easily be recovered from. 

I'd like to throw a little PSA out here:

Currently the A-10 included in RHS is broken. It does not fly at all.

The F-18 is the only fixed wing, modded CAS asset working at the moment.

Through personal experience I found that the single seat F-18 was incredibly versatile while not being overpowered when operated in a flight of 2 (I was ASL). The mavericks killed what we needed to be killed and with some assistance from UAV, the laser GBUs worked flawlessly.

Previously I have not considered the F-18 a particularly 'good' mod, however, in light of these circumstances I must advocate for it to stay.

I just think what it does can be done better and eleminate some of its problems in mind while are the same time providing a better suite of aircraft to complement pook.

For the record a decision has still not been reached on pook, we're going to let it play out on the MSO for a while so that it can be properly tested. There have been some reports of it not functioning properly since the 64 bit update.

I'm not arguing against what you're saying, I haven't used the mods you are referring to, but I'm not of the inclination to base decisions on things that are not set in stone

Sent from my OnePlus 3t using a phone app that is quite irritating.

Blame autocorrect.

I totally get that and I have just wanted to discuss it here as it is dependent on a couple different things and right now things are ok. Also like I said in an earlier post I believe pook will be updated as it is a fairly popular mod that has received and update kinda recently.