Enemy positions on the map

THE PUNISHER

Question

8 answers to this question

As has been stated, eu#1 and #2 are public servers, the map spotting had been implemented for a long time and suits the casual playstyle of our

playerbase.

For now this idea is rejected but if you can somehow bring us proof of support from the community we will re evaluate.

1 hour ago, Gamerbug said:

they have to be spotted to show, and it only shows their recent position should they go out of sight.

Not entirely true, unfortunately. Some vehicles (heli's and jets most definitely, not sure about UAVs or ground vehicles) seem to have a "super-sensor" that is capable of finding every guy in an AO, regardless if the pilot/driver/passenger actually saw anything.

For example, an AO on Tanoa is +70% dense forest (Galili and Temple come to mind), impenetrable from above even with the IR sensor of the Darter or Greyhawk. While it's a severely limiting factor for UAV assistance, it's a Godsend for pilots, because they can fly over the AO with relative ease and safety. As they're cruising over the AO at 200km/h, they'll completely remove the fog of war, and highlight every vehicle and soldier in a certain radius. Don't know how far that radius extends, or if it depends on speed and/or altitude, but I think it's far too large (sometimes up to or beyond 1km, I noticed).

But to compensate for that, for some odd reason, looking straight at a squad with the Darter camera will often NOT make them appear on map. :rolleyes:

Don't think they will, since EU1/2 are public servers. Public servers tend to go for "lowest common denominator", to include/attract as much people as possible, even if that's less than realistic. If you're looking for more realism (semi-milsim, or tacticool as it's sometimes referred to), try the AW Enhanced server.

That being said, I'd be interested in a test run and see what the community feedback is, to be honest... :)

+ Would perhaps give recon, snipers and UAV some more purpose than just killing stuff.

- Could make it really hard to find the last few guys in an AO. Having a heli or jet fly over usually reveals those units now.

10 minutes ago, Eagle-Eye said:

- Could make it really hard to find the last few guys in an AO. Having a heli or jet fly over usually reveals those units now.

I don't see this as a Problem because I always enjoyed it when for example you had to search every building in a city for them.:)

And as you also said:

15 minutes ago, Eagle-Eye said:

+ Would perhaps give recon, snipers and UAV some more purpose than just killing stuff.

This would kind of solve the "problem" and encourage teamplay more on the servers what is a great thing:)

2 hours ago, Eagle-Eye said:

Not entirely true, unfortunately. Some vehicles (heli's and jets most definitely, not sure about UAVs or ground vehicles) seem to have a "super-sensor" that is capable of finding every guy in an AO, regardless if the pilot/driver/passenger actually saw anything.

For example, an AO on Tanoa is +70% dense forest (Galili and Temple come to mind), impenetrable from above even with the IR sensor of the Darter or Greyhawk. While it's a severely limiting factor for UAV assistance, it's a Godsend for pilots, because they can fly over the AO with relative ease and safety. As they're cruising over the AO at 200km/h, they'll completely remove the fog of war, and highlight every vehicle and soldier in a certain radius. Don't know how far that radius extends, or if it depends on speed and/or altitude, but I think it's far too large (sometimes up to or beyond 1km, I noticed).

But to compensate for that, for some odd reason, looking straight at a squad with the Darter camera will often NOT make them appear on map. :rolleyes:

So what were saying is it's unpredictable, which kinda makes it swings and roundabouts ;)