Why We Should Have a Map(s) that Defaults to Russian

So to get straight to the point, I am bored in class and asking myself why don't we have default maps as the Russian. It is a whole other side of gameplay that we simple don't explore or simply give a damn about. Some argue that it is too hard or sometime admins say that people don't take it seriously. To that I have to say pick you balls up off the floor take the challenge and you might have some fun, and for the second point I have to say that if you make it a standard then people will get used to it and calm down. The problems will work themselves out. 

I also think now is a great time to do this as RHS has been bringing more and more modern Russian military gear into the game. Some of the weapons can even mount western attachments and optics, and some of the vehicles including the new bomber and Mi-28 and t-90 out class US gear and would be great to use as well. 

I would like to suggest that we add Cherno and Taskistan as the two maps that have the Russians on default. They not only make sense setting wise but are also commonly played so testing would be rapid. We also have seen how an alternative style can be very fun and effective on Gorgona so I think this is a logical next step. 

The other side to this is that admins change the params based on what they players want all the time so it is not like if people don't want to play the Russians but the US or Brits instead they easily can. Another thing is that it is not in the requests forum, but I really wanted the communities input an opinions and if people like this then I will be more than happy to make a formal request or if a conclusion is made here all the better. 

Thanks for listening,

Ben

Sure. If we don't use it, people won't learn how it works, that stands to reason.

Question then is, can we expect people to learn both NATO equipment as well as Russian? What level of proficiency is acceptable?

I don't believe that's a reasonable expectation in our environment, and it may well increase the learning curve for newcomers.

Short version; it's not worth it, quality over quantity.

@Amentes I don't think it is a lot to ask and over time all things come with practice I didn't know the US faction at first, and I feel that if we introduce and play the Russian more poeople will not only learn but enjoy being more proficient in a wider range of arma tactics. And just as an example MAT yesterday obviously had to use the rpg 7 and started out not doing so well but by the time the mission ended they were dropping Abrams with tandem HEAT like no ones business.

I think it is a lot to ask, It takes a long time to get to a profficient level in AWE, and that's with having the consistency of playing Blufor 90% of the time. Playing as Russians maybe 1/10 missions like Gorgona or Al Ruyak was will not give new players time to learn and will just add confusion while they're still trying to grasp standard equipment. 

Playing Russian is simply a novelty and not worth it in my opinion.

To get my opinion on the board.

As for what Ryko said,

if we never play with that gear, players will never become familiar w

Playing as Russians will give us some experience on future use (perhaps outside of AWE). 

I do think we should balance it up when we play Russians and when we don't. Maybe do it like the rotation goes Allied for 2-3 then Russian for 1-2? Instead of having an admin/mod to do the faction change. 

I do like playing as Allied, but I miss playing Russians. Last night was fun, and it just shows that some of us can still use equipment we are not familiar with... after all, we do capture Russian vehicles/tech in the field anyways.

I'm pro RusFor gameplay! 

I think one of the complaints was that the optics were horrible and there weren't enough zoomed optics to peoples liking? I recently started to play with just red-dot optics or with smaller zoom, it's still very doable up to ranges of 400 meters or slightly over. For long distance woodland and large far planes it becomes a bigger challenge. I would advise to get up more close and personal with RusFor weapons to be effective. Plinking away from a hill isn't exactly exciting either, now is it?

If it's the optic style then I'd say, add a small collection of NATO optics to the arsenal that work with the AK-74's pleases a lot of people already IMHO.

Another thing that I noticed last night and contributes to @Karate Pyjamas point is that although a lot of weapons have been added to RHS like the zentico equipment it is missing from our arsenal and it should be there in my opinion. It isn't op or anything of the sort, and it adds the crouch if we do choose to transition to playing more Russian that we will have blufor optics available. Also the T5000 sniper rifle was missing which adds a very good choice for the currently lack luster SDV and SVR options. 

3 minutes ago, BenjaminHL said:

Another thing that I noticed last night and contributes to @Karate Pyjamas point is that although a lot of weapons have been added to RHS like the zentico equipment it is missing from our arsenal and it should be there in my opinion. It isn't op or anything of the sort, and it adds the crouch if we do choose to transition to playing more Russian that we will have blufor optics available. Also the T5000 sniper rifle was missing which adds a very good choice for the currently lack luster SDV and SVR options. 

If I had a choice I would run my AK's without any optics, but ranges are often too big that the standard ironsights obscure too much of my view.

Another thing that I want to point out is that Russian equipment is often not a potent as US stuff. It often serves very well that for MAT and MMG type teams to use a crew served static than a regular single man portable lmg or rpg but instead use a dyshka or KORD and the Kornet. I also think that the LAT should be able to use the rpg in the regular fire team as the single shot things that normal infantry can bring are kinda joke. This is different type of gameplay style that would be fun a rewarding to explore, and I don't see why we don't give this a go on a couple of maps like I said above.

@Copey should I post this in the requests section or can a decision be made from this thread?

12 hours ago, Amentes said:

A large portion of the playerbase know my stance. If it's Russian, I've got better things to do :P

Precisely why it was removed; people used to just leave when Russians were selected because their whining wasn't heard over the cheers of players who liked the Russian gameplay.

I disagree. there's not a huge difference between the Russian kit and the BLUFOR stuff; everything serves the same role and functions similarly enough that someone proficient in BLUFOR gear can effectively use the OPFOR gear. 

I agree with having russians as default on some maps, however since many people simply aren't familiar with AK's my suggestion is for some time have a transitioning faction which would be guerillas currently. Their Zastava M21's are 556 if I am correct, they feel like russian rifles but are capable of mounting of blufor sights and opfor sights. This transition would make transition to russian a bit easier at least in my opinion.

Interesting thought. I for once will not play as a Russian faction. I can play a NATO force using guerilla tactics if that helps float the boat, so to speak

Sent from my iPhone using a phone app that is really irritating because it constantly advertises itself.

I'm just thinking out loud here, and not even sure if this is possible or wanted in any way, but as a middle ground or test- / transition-phase: on certain maps, you create a PvP, with one side being NATO, and the other RUS? One big problem could be to decide when (not) to spawn AI for a certain side, though.

But the Russian don't use guerrilla forces except for their special forces. The idea here is to introduce a completely different type of warfare from another perspective we don't often see. 

And for eagle thanks for the thoughts as always but I don't think we could create a bigger cluster F#$*ck. 

Benjamin my idea is that both insurgents and russians use similiar and The same equipement - btrs and bmps, brdms. However The infantry has access to m21 zastava which when fired feels like russian AK's but is cappable ir mounting NATO scopes such as holo, rco and russian scopes. So when people feel comfortable with gun , its recoil and spread they can move onto russian scopes since it seems that everyone hates the scopes just because they are not familiar with them. You dont have to use guerilla tactics. Also the rpgs are The same and armor iš same.

There are already AK platforms available in the arsenal that can mount RIS/RAS attachable optics; they have the NPZ label in their name.

As I've said though, most of the optics just have different reticles and zoom levels. They're really not that hard to use, and if anyone does experience difficulties then the virtual arsenal is a great place to test them out and get to grips with them.

So my feeling is that if we use the NPZ / Picatinny railed variants of the AK's, we're kind of giving up a bit. People rail against the Russian optics but I think it's largely because they don't know how to use them properly, they're actually quite smart systems if you take the time to figure out how they work.  For example the AKM has a default ranging of 440m (don't ask me why) so using it in close combat your shots may go over the head of your target.

I don't think there are compelling reasons to change the default factions on certain maps to OPFOR, instead I think the current system of asking what map / faction is working as intended.  What I'd like to see are more Zeus nights with faction-specific scenarios.

@Ryko the problem with what you suggest is that if we don't have default maps and never learn the faction or the scope or the vechiles then those game nights and Zeus ops aren't fun cause no one knows what they are doing. It also is good to change it up and the only real way would be with defaults. 

Also gongreats on core staff!