IA 3.1 some tweaks to polish the new setup

Nibbs

Question

Firstly just to say I love the new IA3.1 especially as having an airstrip is much more friendly to new UAV Operators. You guys have done a great job. I also love the dynamics of the vehicle transport for its potential for deploying mobile squads to the battle field. However there's some tweaks that could be useful.

1. Is it possible to make it so the Ammo Hemtt can't rearm static emplacements like mortars? People take it away from the base for that purpose, which means you have no way to rearm the flares on the blackfish, or general ammo for any wipe-outs / buzzards acquired. (I also feel like the unlimited ammo mortar, from parking the ammo truck next to it, feels extremely exploity. The MK6 being such a devastating tool, should require co-ordination with people for resupply operations, and for the operator to conserve ammunition)

2. The Blackfish seems like a great tool to drop squads together on the battlefield, But really needs a couple of Prowlers to make it work. (load capacity for a single vehicle type is 4 quads, 1 UNARMED hunter, 1 marshall, or 2 prowlers) Could I suggest 4 light prowlers near where the BF spawns, so it can deploy 2 squads? (ideally part of the standard spawn, so the clean up script moves the empty ones back to base)

3. Again with the blackfish, is it possible to lock the passenger slots, much like the pilot slots? People jump in the passenger slots expecting it to land near the AO, and just end up going for a long there and back again trip. (Not everyone on the server speaks English since it's EU)

4. Some of the early AOs can fire directly at the Helicopter Re-arm Pad / Airstrip. it might be worth removing these, or adding a line of sandbags to the north of the base.

5. it might be worth adding the UAV Operator to the Vortex group so they get thrown in squad, since they're sharing an airstrip now and need to co-ordinate who's using it at any time

10 answers to this question

1: Another fix might be to change the UAV repair pad to a UAV & planes repair pad.  This way the blackfish and any reward planes can also repair at that pad and the hemtt can be used for other stuff (like being a mobile rearm for any reward tanks at AOs)

2: I don't mind some prowlers but not everyone has apex so there should at least be some hunters left.  And if some prowlers are added, maybe some quads can be taken away?  In the time i've been at base in EU1 most of them didn't get used.  I only used them to get to the reward spawn because i'm lazy :).  They might be used to go to the boats but seeing how the boats are now far enough away they should respawn if they are left at the boats.

3: It should be technically possible as far as i know.

4: or some of those military walls maybe?  They are higher and with the right settings indestructible.

5: The UAV op can join the vortex squad now as well, via the group menu.  Don't get me wrong i don't mind him being added to vortex as he's just another type of pilot but i don't see why it should.

To react to number 3 again:  the lecture is particularly boring so yea, this is what i've come up with:

Spoiler

player addEventHandler ["getInMan",{
    _veh = _this select 2;
    _iampilot = typeOf player;
    _aircraft_nocopilot = ["B_Heli_Light_01_F","B_Heli_Light_01_armed_F","O_Heli_Light_02_F","O_Heli_Light_02_unarmed_F","B_Heli_Transport_01_F","B_Heli_Transport_01_camo_F","I_Heli_Transport_02_F","I_Heli_light_03_unarmed_F","I_Heli_light_03_F"];
    _aircraft_nopassenger = ["I_Heli_light_03_F"];
    if((_veh isKindOf "Helicopter" || _veh isKindOf "Plane") && !(_veh isKindOf "ParachuteBase")) then {
        if(({typeOf _veh == _x} count _aircraft_nocopilot) > 0) then {
            _forbidden = [_veh turretUnit [0]];
            if(player in _forbidden) then {
                if !(player isKindOf "B_Helipilot_F") then {
                    systemChat "Co-pilot is disabled on this vehicle";
                    player action ["getOut",_veh];
                };
            };
        };
            _forbidden = [driver _veh];
            if (player in _forbidden) then {
                systemChat "You must be a pilot to fly this aircraft";
                player action ["getOut", _veh];
            };
        };
        if(({typeOf _veh == _x} count _aircraft_nopassenger) > 0) then {
            _forbiddenseat1 = [_veh turretUnit [1]];
            _forbiddenseat2 = [_veh turretUnit [2]];
            if(player in _forbiddenseat1 || player in _forbiddenseat2) then {
                systemChat "Passenger seat is disabled on this vehicle";
            };
        };
    };
}];

Note that this is untested.

But i believe it should work.  The only thing is that right now it locks the first 2 passenger seats of the 'I_Heli_light_03_F' and not the blackfish.  And i'm not sure that the passenger seats in the blackfish are designated as turrets so this: _veh turretUnit [2] might be changed into something else.

EDIT:

So half an hour later, i'm back at my dorm and got a chance to test it.  Broke my head on why it wasn't, turned out i'd disabled the seats on the infantry transport and i was testing it with the vehicle one.  Yea make fun of me, i've done it myself already.

Here it is:

Spoiler

/*Original pilotcheck by Kamaradski [AW]. 
* Since then been tweaked by many hands!
* Notable contributors: 
*chucky [allFPS], Quiksilver, Rewritten to be eventHandler by BACONMOP and the AW community
*/

/*something not related to this topic was here*/

player addEventHandler ["getInMan",{
    _veh = _this select 2;
    _iampilot = typeOf player;
    _aircraft_nocopilot = ["B_Heli_Light_01_F","B_Heli_Light_01_armed_F","O_Heli_Light_02_F","O_Heli_Light_02_unarmed_F","B_Heli_Transport_01_F","B_Heli_Transport_01_camo_F","I_Heli_Transport_02_F","I_Heli_light_03_unarmed_F","I_Heli_light_03_F"];
    _aircraft_nopassenger = ["B_T_VTOL_01_vehicle_F"];
    if((_veh isKindOf "Helicopter" || _veh isKindOf "Plane") && !(_veh isKindOf "ParachuteBase")) then {
        if(({typeOf _veh == _x} count _aircraft_nocopilot) > 0) then {
            _forbidden = [_veh turretUnit [0]];
            if(player in _forbidden) then {
                    systemChat "Co-pilot is disabled on this vehicle";
                };
            };
        };
            _forbidden = [driver _veh];
            if (player in _forbidden) then {
                systemChat "You must be a pilot to fly this aircraft";
                player action ["getOut", _veh];
            };
        };
        if(({typeOf _veh == _x} count _aircraft_nopassenger) > 0) then {
            _forbiddenseat1 = [_veh turretUnit [1]];
            _forbiddenseat2 = [_veh turretUnit [2]];
            if(player in _forbiddenseat1 || player in _forbiddenseat2) then {
                systemChat "Passenger seat is disabled on this vehicle";
            };
        };
    };
}];

It should be basically good to go.  But it is, again and of course, up to whoever it's up to to decide if this gets used or not.

Edited by Stanhope

Hi, thanks for your input, I will pass your comments on to the guys that make the changes but for right now here's what I see.

1. The ammo Hemmt is exactly what it says on the tin, the point is that it can be used by infantry, motorised and mechanised to resupply in the field. That's why it has wheels. The addition of the blackfish is a different issue and as Stanhope said should probably be combated with a plane repair pad.

2. I see no issue with this, I love prowlers, but again as the all seeing Stanhope has said, not everyone has apex so it can't replace the unarmed hunter.

3. I disagree with this point completely, pilot slots are locked to stop trolling or stealing assets and using them for personal gain. If someone is too disconnected from chat that they get in the aircraft that doesn't intend to land then so be it. There are uses for those passenger seats you would be depriving people of if you just locked them.

In regards to language barriers, the language of ahoy world servers is English, and although we don't discriminate, any issues a player runs into because they don't understand English are theirs and theirs alone.

4. A wall could help but why remove them, walk or take a car. I'll see what the Devs think.

5. Unnecessary, UAV can join whoever they want and they are fire support that can be used in the field.

Thank you for your input and I'll let you know the decisions of the Dev team.

Thanks for the feedback all, I would raise a slight comment with walking for option 4, is the moment you're outside the sandbagged area of the base, the particular AOs can start lighting you up, but you can't fire back as you're still inside the protected zone. It's not really clear how far you have to get away to be able to return fire, unlike the previous main base, that was screened by hills, where you knew if you were able to see the enemy you were able to shoot.

11 minutes ago, Nibbs said:

Thanks for the feedback all, I would raise a slight comment with walking for option 4, is the moment you're outside the sandbagged area of the base, the particular AOs can start lighting you up, but you can't fire back as you're still inside the protected zone. It's not really clear how far you have to get away to be able to return fire, unlike the previous main base, that was screened by hills, where you knew if you were able to see the enemy you were able to shoot.

To be able to shoot back you have to be about 350m away from the spot where you respawn.  So if the AO is really close i suggest leaving the base at the side where the AO isn't and take the long way around (possibly with a quad/hunter).  

Oooooookay it's Dev feedback time, implementation is still up in the air but here is initial feedback.

3 & 5 are are as I said, not necessary changes and are unlikely to be seen as neccassary / implemented.

1 - As has been postulated it's more than possible to add a plane repair pad and that's the current favourite.

2 - Prowlers have been discussed and it's starting to look likely - will keep you updated.

4 - the ao really near to base will probably be removed, "pangia".

Thank you everyone for your input and I look forward to more suggestions. If your ideas do end up in the mission I'll let you know.