Trench abuse!

Hi.

So over the last couple of days/week we noticed a increase in what we now have identified as trench abuse.

Basically this means that players are stacking trenches and also walking around with them as shields.

This is an bug, therefore the general AW rules should be applied:
4.1.2.2.  Do not exploit bugs for personal gain, if a bug/loophole/exploit is found, report to an administrator as soon as possible. 

The moderator team is as always trying to act based on the communities best interest, and we think that this abuse will encourage static gameplay, and boredom. And also it doesn't look appealing towards new players to practice that game style.

If anyone has ever build a good trench system, you know it takes time, and you surely cant run around with it. Also becoming static over time is not a good idea.

This (fast building, stacking or for using it as a walking shield) will be discouraged by the staff team, until everyone is familiar with the decision. After a given time it falls under the general policy, WARN - KICK - BAN

Best Regards, AWE Moderator Team : ) 

Spoiler

like this; treacnh.jpg

@Vlk while I full heartedly agree with the fact that the use of trenches has come to a point of ridiculousness there also should be the case that on the server we have no other way of making fortifications, which are a key part of any defensive missions and most attacks. We also have advanced logistics on the server so if provided with a vehicle or flag poll that could spawn fortifications would be a great addition. I really do think that the entrenching tool has its place on the server but people should not abuse it so thanks for making a more formal stand. 

-Ben

I think the most useful thing you can do with an entrenchment tool is either make a foxhole or if the need arises, a cover wall that can be used as a stable firing platform.

Other than that, leave em, if you're building these fortifications you spend too much time being on the back foot and not enough time moving up and taking the fight to the enemy, if people get around to using more formations, bounding, pincer and flank style maneuvers, you won't find the need to sit on a hill for 30 minutes shooting at enemies at distance.

I can think of many things that are most likely not being used, go ahead and get creative, you'll find it more fun and probably more useful than just using an entrenchment tool to build Fort Knox. ;)

That day you decide that wearing UN Peacekeeper gear was a good idea.

I understand the post, after the server warning I did take down most of it (Again, kinda became secondary priority while we were still taking fire).  I'll make sure to avoid double (Triple) stacking again.  Still...have to admit, I love my entrenchment tool and that I love defense missions, I went full Dorn on it.

15 hours ago, BenjaminHL said:

@Vlk while I full heartedly agree with the fact that the use of trenches has come to a point of ridiculousness there also should be the case that on the server we have no other way of making fortifications, which are a key part of any defensive missions and most attacks. We also have advanced logistics on the server so if provided with a vehicle or flag poll that could spawn fortifications would be a great addition. I really do think that the entrenching tool has its place on the server but people should not abuse it so thanks for making a more formal stand. 

-Ben

Gonna Second this.  I know sandbags are a thing that we can 'build', It would be interesting if we could see an expansion on something like that.

I have a general problem with ACE entrenchments in that they're too easy to build. If you could build a large trench in real life, in the time that ACE allows... that would be something.

In Gauntlet, there is only one "official" defense mission. This is on purpose. Arma AI isn't really good at straight-up attacking, scenarios play best when players approach an enemy-held objective.  As soon as the AI is directed to attack something, they tend to become overcautious and it can quickly lead to stale game play.

• 1 month later...