Containers in the helipads

Stanhope

Question

So i was wondering are the containers in the landing pads on EU1 & 2 meant to be functional or are they just there for esthetics?  Because at the moment you can't rearm nor repair at them.  

Now if they are meant to be esthetics forget what i'm about to say.

If they are meant to be functional i suggest to alter something in how they are placed down.  At the moment the following code is in their init field (well technically not but it boils down to this):

this allowDamage false;

this enableSimulation false;

For those who don't know what this means, because of the first one the object cannot take damage.  The second one does a number of things including disabling all functions (including refueling/rearming) and prevent it from being slingloaded. 
Now i think the second one is in there to prevent it from being lifted.  The same result can be achieved with the following code:

this allowDamage false;

this setMass 999999;

This also prevents choppers from lifting the containers and doesn't disable the functions of the containers.

So what do you guys think of this?

8 answers to this question

I don't think we'll change anything here. We have a repair pad for a reason and as previously stated pilots shouldn't be approaching the pickup point with an intention to ferry people if they are already damaged. It's mainly there to split up the two pads so we don't have anyone landing in the middle taking up both. :)

i totally approve this!

odd thing is,the fuel container does refuel,while the repair container does nothing - not sure if this is ment to be like that (as old I+A 2 had only a fuel truck midpads and you needed to service in order to repair) as having a (working) repair option on pads would make the chopper service kinda useless ...

And while you at it - add some blocking volumes (barriers) to pads entry or change position of current as i had it happen 1-2 times a Quad passed by the barriers in order to ram/damage choppers.

Or get rid of the Quads on base at all - its become a daily routine people to lazy to walk drop this stuff all over the base,then change the spawn of pilots on base too,as they r propably 67% of those people i mentioned before.

Get a Hunter/Quad > drive from spawn to choppers > leave vehicle idling

4 hours ago, TheScar said:

odd thing is,the fuel container does refuel,while the repair container does nothing - not sure if this is ment to be like that (as old I+A 2 had only a fuel truck midpads and you needed to service in order to repair) as having a (working) repair option on pads would make the chopper service kinda useless ...

The fuel container sometimes work not always and this is kind of why i thought they were just there for show.  But it doesn't make the pads useless as helis still need a place to restock on flares/ammo.

And i also don't mind the quads being removed.

Nobody really uses the quads, everything is either within walking distance or helicopter distance. Nothing in between, so I would support the removal of them. 

For the containers, I think Stanhopes idea is good as it allows you to have full functionality of the containers without them being lifted. 

We are doing an update to i&a3 (no idea on timescale) so we have the time to fix and change things that need doing. So keep coming with all the suggestions :D

5 hours ago, TheScar said:

having a (working) repair option on pads would make the chopper service kinda useless ..

Not really. Chopper service is far away from infantry spawn for a reason. ;) Seeing how some fly with a fully functional helicopter, I wouldn't like seeing them approach the helipads with e.g. a broken tail rotor... They might crash into your Hunter just after you finished loading up. :P

Personally, not sure about removing the quads. Right now, they're indeed mainly used to get from spawn to helicopter or boats, which is not really what they're there for, but I doubt there would be a change in mentality after they're removed. I fear it'll just shift the problem as they'll take the Hunters, Prowlers or HEMTTs instead. As Spartan, I'd rather just delete a few abandoned quads, than have to call an admin because the server is suffering from all the spawned and equally abandoned Hunters.