The Black Death - Discussion and Vids

GamerbugUK

Rather than keep spamming the giveaway thread, this topic is for discussing the early access game The Black Death, as well as any tips, tricks, videos or images.

My initial thoughts on the game is the premise it great, it has a lot of potential and I've overidingly been enjoying playing it.

Downsides are it's laggy, glitchy and seems on a slow development cycle, and for a game in such early access it's pricey.

Worth a shot, but wait til it's on sale.

My first impression playlist can be found here where you can witness the good and the bad -

So here is worth listing some of the issue you can expect to face in the current early access build (I'll amend as/if they become fixed)

• Teleporting NPCs (inlcudes vendors, bandits and animals)
  • Vendors having no wares to buy (you can still sell)
  • Enemies hitting you while nowhere near you
  • Considerable lag
  • Items disappearing from your inventory
  • Items selling for more than the purchase price
  • Items dropped on the floor disappearing
  • Items dropped on the floor and picked up are magically repaired
  • Purchased houses no longer purchased when logging in
  • Houses reverting to a previously purchased (and sold) house
  • Getting stuck in the map (with no easy way to free yourself)
  • Food going rotten in your inventory, when you had no food in your inventory to become rotten
  • Items placed in housing storage disappearing
  • Items that have broken remaining equipped but are now indestructable until replaced (they are also invisible)
  • Visible ore that cannot be mined
  • Clothing often doesn not show correctly once crafted and equipped (relogging can solve this)

I've only played a bit so far, been to busy with other stuff but i found some bugs as well:

• Grinding wheel placed down in my house disappeared after logging back in.
  • Bushes (e.g. cotton, raspberries, ...) regrow instantly if you walk away and come back.
  • health bar disappearing and it saying that i'm near death whilst my health is full according to the health bar in my inventory.
  • being teleported back 1-5m out of the blew.
  • Bandits spawn in after i've walked over the spot they spawn on.

52 minutes ago, Stanhope said:

I've only played a bit so far, been to busy with other stuff but i found some bugs as well:

• Grinding wheel placed down in my house disappeared after logging back in.
  • Bushes (e.g. cotton, raspberries, ...) regrow instantly if you walk away and come back.
  • health bar disappearing and it saying that i'm near death whilst my health is full according to the health bar in my inventory.
  • being teleported back 1-5m out of the blew.
  • Bandits spawn in after i've walked over the spot they spawn on.

- Had the first happen with a Loom

- Usually takes a minute or so, but pretty much. Some great spots where you can farm high quality cotton in this manner (cotton takes around 2-5 mins to respawn)

- Yep happens all the time to me as well, tends to sort itself out after reloading or taking damage

- Rubberbanding, typical for a game in EA that is laggy (Dayz was especially bad for this)

- Not had that, there arrival is normally telegraphed but them falling from the sky

Another huge oversight is that the only loom (for crafting cotton and clothing) on the east side of the map is in a house that can be purchased by players. With the player population low, and most houses purchased ages ago by inactive players, it makes this completly inaccessible.

Now you can craft your own loom but it must be placed in a house, and as mentioned above by Stanhope, things disappear from houses. Also to craft one you must have that skill, the required materials (which is a hell of a lot) and then have a house, space and hope it doesn't disappear.

There are as far as I know 2 looms on the entire map, and one is in a locked house for most players. I had to switch servers to access that specific loom, and yes I purchased the house (assuming it doesn't bug out) to combat that issue, or choice two, spend all my time running from 1 side of the map to the other.

Apologies to anyone on London-04 (what am I saying no one plays on London-04, thats why i could buy the house :P).

Some useful tips

• As said before, drop a damaged weapon and pick it up and it is repaired (assuming it doesn't disappear)
  • Gold can be mined and sold for way beyond the value it states in your inventory, there are two mines that have a decent amount of gold and silver
  • Wood of high quality looks slightly different to normal logs you can chop and have a few twigs protruding from them
  • High quality sticks look like branches rather than bushes
  • High quality bushes look more lush and colourful
  • Most high quality resources are far from the capital
  • Ruins can spawn different NPCs/events each visit. Don't like the look of those bandits, run away a fair bit, return and what spawns should have changed (only works for ruins, not bandit camps); things that can spawn include
    • A miner and some iron ore (you can buy a pickaxe from the miner; he funtions as a merchant)
    • A merchant
    • A hunter (similar to a merchant, sells different wares)
    • A tent with some guards and a merchant (typically a military merchant); the camp can be looted, but taking from the weapon rack is stealing
    • As above but a random bandit knight appears and attacks the guards (or you) there is no merchant; the camp and a body can be looted
    • 2 to 3 bandits (occasionally these spawn with the miner) or a bandit archer (this archer once turned into a merchant when he reached zero heath for some odd reason)
    • 1-3 wolves (will attack once you get close, or will bug out and stand there while you kill them)
    • 2-4 game animals (cows, chickens, sheep, boars or deer)
    • A plague cart that infects when approached
    • A plague cart with a dead animal close by and a body both of which can be looted
  • You can sell some items you purchase for more than their cost
  • Crafting cotton swabs is good for skill points (poor for money though)
  • There are two cows that are easy to kill just ouside the main gate of Ravens Reach, and can yield hides (good price, better if made into leather), meat (cook and sell for a good profit), bones (good profit if you can work with bone), and fat (sell it for a few gold) - respaw after 5 mins or so
  • Water can be taken from wells, there is one right next to the blacksmith in RR - respawn is about 5 mins or so

Having looked at the beta a bit, it's worth noting that there looks to be a change in the progression of characters through professions. Whether this stays or not remains to be seen, but until it becomes the live branch, I'll carry on discussing professions as is.

However the hierarchy seems to now be Beggar - Peasant - then the choice of Merchant/Hunter/Militia, finally from those Blacksmith or Monk, Militia to Knight and Hunter to Outlaw.

Personally I love that  route to progression and think it makes more sense (It also stopped them having to think of more professions, which is probably good for development). However looking at it this way I think I'd rather it was literally progression than die to open the next class, but that might make the Merchant-Smith waaay to powerful.

Screenshot from the Tavern Tuesday event.

TBD.jpg

gave it a Go yesterday for about 1,5h

Ofc started as female Outlaw - there s no doubt about it girl characters gets you everywere way easier + boobies,eh?

Spawned in the wilderness,by 2 houses and some assemblements - clueless about what to do and how to use that U menue to craft and recipy shit,getting slowly aggressive about not havign a (simple) tutorial to read up on what does what and requires which stuff.

Gave up and harvested cotton,flowers and kindlings and not to forget "fine" stones,cause who wants average stones,eh?

Spotted a Castle on tophill and proceeded there in order to plunder + r*pe,meet a guard near the entrance and noticed i got no damn weapon at all - so i traded my great collection of flowers,seeds and crowds for a "pointy stick (average) - then discovered a pig and some fruits on a salesman stand and nicked it successfully.

The pig altho i decided to beat up with my pointy stick while the guards werent watching and if they did i showed boobies and escaped.

Scavenged the pig-meat on my 2nd run around the castle then got engaged as i tried to beat up a chick(en) and this time no girl advantages could be applied.

So,hit and run - off to the outside wilderness again.

Crafted me some clothing by (good) cotton wool,collected a shitload of strawberrys (exotic,rare and finest) - after walking around 10min i noticed my foods started to decay - so i ate all stuff i had on the spot,setup a campfire by some random village and boiled (dirty) water to better (dirty) water.

Logout as my gf came by and shouted "WoW gamer hahahaha"

Gotta be more sneaky nxt time.

Having said that,i dont get the point of the game yet,spotted some "pest" corpses,investigation of such does lead to the conclusion that their rotten,pested food isnt the best way to live long.

And fkk the crafting part - thats way to complicated (to me).

12 hours ago, Gamerbug said:

Have begun to notice, more so on the steam group that this seems to have a particularly toxic and/or elitist community to it unfortunately.

link?

toxic/elitist communities sounds ok to me :P

On my 2nd play i came across a Knight slaying AI guards - tried to interact with (read=steal from) him,but Mr.toCoolForSchool didnt wanted to interact and tried slaying my boobies several times,fortunatly i can run faster ...

No Pause function in the game too,idle´d in a house for a few 20min or so and the second i ESC back in i died - by ongoing starvation or such,i m not rly sure.

My findings so far:

- Calendula (name?) flowers can cure pest illness quite good,eat to cure

- Crafting stuff with min 1 item in exotic/rare condition makes up for far superior stuff (bandages supremo)

- fighting AI is cake eZ when you hit em up very close,get away - bandage,rinse repeat

2 hours ago, TheScar said:

link?

toxic/elitist communities sounds ok to me :P

On my 2nd play i came across a Knight slaying AI guards - tried to interact with (read=steal from) him,but Mr.toCoolForSchool didnt wanted to interact and tried slaying my boobies several times,fortunatly i can run faster ...

No Pause function in the game too,idle´d in a house for a few 20min or so and the second i ESC back in i died - by ongoing starvation or such,i m not rly sure.

My findings so far:

- Calendula (name?) flowers can cure pest illness quite good,eat to cure

- Crafting stuff with min 1 item in exotic/rare condition makes up for far superior stuff (bandages supremo)

- fighting AI is cake eZ when you hit em up very close,get away - bandage,rinse repeat

The knight slaying guards, could have been AI,  there are instances where a tent 2 guards and a enemy knight will spawn. Those are in the wilderness though. If it was in the city was probably a player, there's one whos made it his business to kill anyone he sees. 

AI is even easier on beta branch,  they don't magically warp to the left or right. 

17 hours ago, Gamerbug said:

Have begun to notice, more so on the steam group that this seems to have a particularly toxic and/or elitist community to it unfortunately.

Has promise, but not sure how much longer it can hold my interest.

So to quote myself and my negativity, I tried out the beta branch last night and wow it has soooooo much more promise than the current build.

Downsides, beta so more bugs, and houses aren't purchasable. Upsides it's very pretty, feels more real, and a lot more npcs.

The below is a video about how profession progression has changed.

• 2 weeks later...