Hunter issue

Chutnut

Question

Since I&A 3 was released I saw the hunter system being placed in which allowed hunters to be spawned. I also saw how many you can spawn bringing me straight to my point. The hunter spawning system really needs to have a limit as it lags the server and if one individual decides to spawn in 100 of em and blow em up I think the server will have some issues.

Anyway, My point is that we should fix this by adding some kind of limit like say only 10 can be spawned at a time and I am sure that less than 10 are even used so it probably could be lower. If it escalates badly enough you could add a blacklist to people who cannot spawn them in case they repeatedly offend this issue.

Anyway tell me what you think about this and if it should be implemented.

7 answers to this question

Agree on a limit. I came online some time ago, and noticed this:

107410_20170108114817_1.thumb.png.c501279388a5d5bc215ab0fc0a10cacc.png

Think the servers would also benefit from a general cleanup script every few hours. I notice a lot that the map is cluttered with abandoned vehicles and nobody's nearby, so for server performance, I always delete them as soon as I join (it's actually not that bad in this screenshot, I've seen it a lot worse already, especially on EU1):

107410_20170203184604_1.thumb.png.7fc93a560dcd6adb4576e663cde098b3.png

I agree that something could be done to prevent abuse.  But maybe putting a 2 minute delay before the next one can be spawned in is enough?  Or maybe make a callout in side channel that one has been spawned.  Don't get me wrong i don't think the 10 hunter limit is a bad idea, i'm just adding some ideas.

And i don't think a blacklist should be needed.  If they intentionally abuse the hunter spawn system i believe that could classify as trolling.  Easy way to deal with them is (in my opinion) just ban them.  

And @Eagle-Eye about the cleanup, i dug a bit around in the mission folder and found that the following script runs on the server:

Spoiler

private ["_canDeleteGroup","_group","_groups","_units"];

while {true} do {
    sleep 480 + (random 240);
    {deleteVehicle _x;} count allDead;
    sleep 1;
    {deleteVehicle _x;} count (allMissionObjects "CraterLong");
    sleep 1;
    {deleteVehicle _x;} count (allMissionObjects "WeaponHolder");
    sleep 1;
    {deleteVehicle _x;} count (allMissionObjects "WeaponHolderSimulated");
    sleep 1;
    {if (!isPlayer _x) then {_x enableFatigue FALSE;};} count allUnits;
    {if ((count units _x) == 0) then {deleteGroup _x;};} count allGroups;
};

/*credits go to BACONMOP*/

If i understand it correct it only deletes weapons, impact craters and wrecks.  I believe an option can be added to delete vehicles if there aren't any players in a certain radius around it, but i'm not that good at scripting. 

To fix the mortar that didn't despawn the following could be added (again just dug up from the mission file):

Spoiler

[] spawn {
    private ['_static'];
    {
        _static = _x;
        if ((isNull (attachedTo _static)) && {(({((_x distance _static) < 1000)} count allPlayers) isEqualTo 0)}) then {
            if ((count (crew _static)) > 0) then {
                {deleteVehicle _x;} count (crew _static);
            };
            deleteVehicle _static;
        };
    } count (allMissionObjects "StaticWeapon" );
};

/*credits go to BACONMOP*/

The downside of this is that if the mortar gunner happens to be standing next to his mortar when the script runs, it will despawn.

It's most likely possible to write a script to delete empty vehicles if there aren't any players within a range of x meters.  But i wouldn't know how (again, i'm not that good at scripting).

There's definitely a tool in place that respawns base and FOB vehicles when they blow up or get abandoned, but it doesn't do so for Side Rewards or the spawned Hunters.

I have no idea how hard or easy it would be to extend it to the spawned Hunters, but speaking as a Spartan, I'm routinely cleaning up the ones that get left around the map. Upwards of 40 on occasion.

t5lgwfyl.jpg

*cough*

i never felt the necessity of the option to spawn in Hunters at all,the main way of transportation should be on pilots and using vehicles (of whatever sort) is more for people like tank/APC crews and the occasional Mortar guy ... and of course people that have trust issues on people that try to reenact TopGun while not having the knowledge/equipment/balls to do so :rolleyes:

I mentioned/predicted this as an issue way back when I+A 3 got relased in the wonderfull and now forgotten I+A 3 impression/feedback/rant topic i made,altho the script spawned Prowler´s then,but they got cut due to the shitty APEX integration by BI ...