FOB overhaul

Aegis_RVIR

Question

Alright, everyone that has been around on EU #1 for a while knows about the current FOB system, knows that it is buggy and irregular to actually spawn FOBs. I have thought about ways to overhaul this broken system and I would love to get some feedback.

- Remove the requirement for a certain AO to be cleared and turn it into a side op reward.

- Give Zeus the ability to spawn them in.

- Give the option for players to setup an FOB using HEMMT trucks (can work with option 1)

- Let FOBs spawn after x amount of AO's

18 answers to this question

@Gamerbug I see where your criticism comes from, so I have thought about it.

It is not like I meant that Zeus can just spawn FOBs in whenever and wherever he pleases, but I thought it as a reward that unlocks after X amount of AO.

The HEMMT way is indeed quite susceptible to abuse, so it could be that a certain HEMMT (box variant) could be given as a reward for either side ops or again X amount of AO. Players can than drive it to a certain location, where they can unpack the HEMMT, making a small station for ammo, health and repairs if there is enough room. If a staff member disapproves the location, the station would be packed up and place y/n HEMMT box for another attempt.

3 hours ago, Cryo said:

@Gamerbug I see where your criticism comes from, so I have thought about it.

It is not like I meant that Zeus can just spawn FOBs in whenever and wherever he pleases, but I thought it as a reward that unlocks after X amount of AO.

The HEMMT way is indeed quite susceptible to abuse, so it could be that a certain HEMMT (box variant) could be given as a reward for either side ops or again X amount of AO. Players can than drive it to a certain location, where they can unpack the HEMMT, making a small station for ammo, health and repairs if there is enough room. If a staff member disapproves the location, the station would be packed up and place y/n HEMMT box for another attempt.

The problem is someone taking said HEMMT as a vehicle to get them to the boats or on a joyride or just ramming it into a rock. Now no one can take it to make the FOB.

4 hours ago, Lux said:

I like the idea,behind the spawn after amount.

But a Zeus should not have so much permissions to do this (Abuse).

The Tanks / Helos / Cars are enough,to unlock the FOB it would be too easy.

The Spartans are very well trusted members of the community, I don't agree that they would abuse the option to spawn Fobs, they just don't need the ability. 

8 hours ago, IOnceWasATeddy said:

There is scripts that can complete the FOB AO and therefor spawn them in but Spartans don't have access to scripting. Besides, Zeus can make their own FOBs from scratch.

Hmmm, that might not be such a stupid idea now I think of it. But can we all agree on that the current FOB system is broken and breaks the mission way too often.

4 hours ago, Cryo said:

Hmmm, that might not be such a stupid idea now I think of it. But can we all agree on that the current FOB system is broken and breaks the mission way too often.

I also agree, yesterday i joined EU2 and looked at how long it was up.  It had been up for 48 hours and not a single FOB had spawned.  Last time i saw a FOB on EU2 is a couple of weeks ago.  So maybe increase the chance of a FOB-AO to spawn in or something like that?

Well realistically they need to just make sense and thus so do the AOs.

With the new move to feeling like "we have just arrived" AO's must spread out logically from the base, thus once you hit a logical FOB AO and it is cleared, the FOB would spawn.

Not sure if this is how it's mean to happen, but it doesn't seem to at the moment. I mean AO's start sensibly then just go 'off on one'. I've seen leaps across the ocean to an AO instead of pushin on inland or annexing an area then heading north learing that AO, then suddely going south back to almost the same area that was just annexed.

45 minutes ago, Stanhope said:

Well realistically speaking an enemy force could circle around and try to attack us from the back forcing us to go back south again.  But i agree that FOBs should spawn once we completed an AO on/near it.

Could yes, but some of the places they crop up make no sense especially considering the hardware/armour they 'magic' into the area.

It would probably be nicer to have all the supplies at one FOB instead of having all those supplies (ammo, repair truck.. etc.) scattered over all the FOB's, because most of the time, you simply end up going back to base if you need ammo. Makes having a FOB kinda redundant. For example: FOB Dirt Track spawns with 2x Marshall, 1x Kajman (?), 1x Huron, 1x Slammer and some Hunter HMG's, along with Quadbikes, iirc. That's nice and all, but it doesn't have any supplies for vehicle maintenance.. now imagine going all the way from Selakano over to the main base (Almost 20km, if not more.) only to reach the service pad in a Slammer. That's not so bad, if you have to do it only once.. but most of the time, if you're competent enough, you're going to keep the Slammer alive and well. Now, I get that there's ammo and repair trucks available, but try finding a player who does logistics on EU #1. Almost certainly not going to happen. Perhaps, you should also look into that. However, it's just my point of view. I suppose that adding service pads at the FOB's, like the vehicle services in I&A 2 would be a nice solution, that's probably easier on the server than placing down the assets themselves.

8 minutes ago, Winter said:

try finding a player who does logistics on EU #1. Almost certainly not going to happen. 

Whenever i'm flying on EU1 (and 2) i'm always willing to fly/sling anything over.  Same when i'm a repair spec/engineer.  I try to call this out in chat whenever i join.  And i have to say that i usually only get 1 or 2 requests per hour.  Most of them are from @TheScar when he destroyed one of his tires again.

16 minutes ago, Winter said:

It would probably be nicer to have all the supplies at one FOB instead of having all those supplies (ammo, repair truck.. etc.) scattered over all the FOB's, because most of the time, you simply end up going back to base if you need ammo. Makes having a FOB kinda redundant. 

I'm gonna have to disagree with that last phrase.  FOBs can reduce flight-time to the AOs significantly.  If we only had 1 FOB this wouldn't always be the case.

20 minutes ago, Winter said:

I suppose that adding service pads at the FOB's, like the vehicle services in I&A 2 would be a nice solution, that's probably easier on the server than placing down the assets themselves.

Yes this could work.  But, in my opinion, it isn't very fun.  If you can just drive 2 km, rearm and go pump some more rounds down range randomly, people won't be 'forced' to actually aim at a target.  They could just spray the entire AO.

I personally think that adding a repair of road and a small (civilian) fuel truck would be a good option.  As it would 'force' people to actually work together.

People actually working together on the internet, that usually happens when they are playing competitive or simulating real life.

Personally, I don't mind grabbing a HEMMT ammo and driving all the way to the AO. But I think the biggest problem is, that once people are out of ammo they just dump the hunter and move on even whilst there is an option to restock.

I had it never so, that people volunteers to setup a small FOB using HEMMT and a pilot who ferries bags of supplies to the FOB, that would just be perfect.

1 hour ago, Cryo said:

People actually working together on the internet, that usually happens when they are playing competitive or simulating real life.

Personally, I don't mind grabbing a HEMMT ammo and driving all the way to the AO. But I think the biggest problem is, that once people are out of ammo they just dump the hunter and move on even whilst there is an option to restock.

I had it never so, that people volunteers to setup a small FOB using HEMMT and a pilot who ferries bags of supplies to the FOB, that would just be perfect.

That requires thinking about more than just go to AO and kill, and most people join for that reason, be nice to organise those in the support roles as a group, but hard to do on an open server (but not impossible).