[eu#1/2] Move the UAV's to the UAV resupply base

Max

Question

Currently, the UAV's take off down a dirt track with a house at the bottom. Recently, I've heard many people who are using the UAV's cannot get them to take off at all. You might say this is down to skill, to which I say, fair enough. However, from my own experience the house, until it is inevitably destroyed by flying a UAV into it, cannot actually be cleared on take-off. Additionally, when I first played UAV operator on I&A3, I didn't spot the UAV resupply base in the south east of the map, so I had no idea what I was supposed to do with them once both bombs had been dropped. 

To kill two birds with one stone: Have the UAV's spawn at the same base you resupply them at. 

9 answers to this question

There are many routes to take off, but you're right in that if you actually follow the dirt track without deviation, you will impact the house at the end of it.

Personally, I didn't find it difficult to visualize a take-off route once I looked over the terrain, and I've seen plenty of players finding completely different ones.

I see X options:

1) Move the Greyhawks to make it easier to take off, all is well.

2) Keep the Greyhawks where they are.

3) Keep the Greyhawks where they are, treat UAV slot like Pilot, kick if incapable.

4) Keep the Greyhawks where they are, remove Darters from UAV Op and add them to FSG Team Leader.

I quite like the third and fourth options myself.

I'm more for options 3 and 2.

Yes it is hard to get the UAVs in the air on eu1, but not impossible.  And considering how a UAV operator together with the FSG gunner can clear out an entire AO without actually setting foot in the AO, i think it should be rather hard to get them in the air.  On top of this it also gives some more incentive for UAV operators to be a bit more careful with their UAVs and not fly them over a fresh AO at 500m.  

I am going to respectfully disagree with everyone here (That must be a first on the internet). I say move the UAV to the resupplying base and give the option for the squad leader/spotter to use the darter. Both can really benefit from it I think and the UAV op can't babysit the darter for them.

I haven't used the UAVs recently on EU1, but assuming they're still in the same positions, then I definitely agree that they should be moved.

As someone who has spent a lot of time operating UAVs, I still struggled to consistently take-off from their spawn positions. So I don't think it's fair (or makes any sense) to have them in a position where even a competent UAV op should lose a UAV because there is not enough distance to take off.

I think the best (and easiest) solution would be to move them to the resupply base as Max suggested.

@Cryo It's a nice idea but that could end up with a lot of darters in the air, which can impact server performance.

Something slightly related to this topic is once eu1 gets dark it becomes slightly difficult to land and the re-arm station, possibly add some lights to the runway / area around the re-arm station.

also taking off from where the uav's spawn is easy as long as you remember to lower them flaps