Whats your setup like?

MrRepeatz

I decided to go for this one
https://www.cclonline.com/product/248690/UM-HX1EE-032/Monitors/Acer-KG271Ubmiippxx-27-inch-WQHD-TN-LED-Backlit-ZeroFrame-Gaming-Monitor-with-FreeSync-Speakers-2-x-HDMI-and-2-x-DisplayPort-Inputs-Black-/MON4825/?siteID=je6NUbpObpQ-TTXiTwt_jTFq33N0..tkkA
It was on offer at PC World for £179. Very pleased so far. I have the original monitor as a second screen. Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Mad Eye Moody said:

I decided to go for this one
https://www.cclonline.com/product/248690/UM-HX1EE-032/Monitors/Acer-KG271Ubmiippxx-27-inch-WQHD-TN-LED-Backlit-ZeroFrame-Gaming-Monitor-with-FreeSync-Speakers-2-x-HDMI-and-2-x-DisplayPort-Inputs-Black-/MON4825/?siteID=je6NUbpObpQ-TTXiTwt_jTFq33N0..tkkA
It was on offer at PC World for £179. Very pleased so far. I have the original monitor as a second screen. Thanks for the advice.

Nice one, not sure that your GTX 1060 can handly 2K SMOOTHLY but its good if your going to stick with this monitor (in case your going to change the GPU) also bear in mind this is FREESYNC , its a technology like G-sync but for AMD cards. if your looking at the long-term (especially that AMD is being competitive ) then the monitor is excellent.

Nice one, not sure that your GTX 1060 can handly 2K SMOOTHLY but its good if your going to stick with this monitor (in case your going to change the GPU) also bear in mind this is FREESYNC , its a technology like G-sync but for AMD cards. if your looking at the long-term (especially that AMD is being competitive ) then the monitor is excellent.

As usual with any changes there where a few setting tweaks to make to avoid screen freezes. I always used to have AMD back in the day. Changed to Nvidia but cannot remember why now. I like the easy mode changes of the screen. One issue I do have with ArmA3 is closing the program if it locks. Control Alt delete doesn’t allow me to get to the task manager.

That is a problem I have too, BIS support and me were unable to find a solution. The game is not told to wake up again, so it remains running, taking up RAM and, for some reason, blocking the screen. Windows will still respond to your input though, so I usually move Arma 3 to another desktop because it leaves me with a clear one which I can end the task from.

This will not happen if you run the game in window or fullscreen window or if you just don't Alt + Tab out of it.

I thought the issue was driver or DirectX related, but since you have a GTX and I have an AMD, only DirectX remains as a possible culprit. Unfortunately, this problem will likely not get fixed and I am not willing to reinstall my OS again for some faulty line in some DirectX settings file to be reset.

I ran some checks and downloaded a new direct x from the mother site. Seems to have made a difference so far but if it does freeze I cannot get out of the game unless I control alt delete and click on the power button. I also increased the cards fan speed and reduced the target temp on the card. It was worse if I overclocked the card. I also need to check on what’s running in the background. It always seems to creep up.

On 4/28/2018 at 9:41 PM, Zeexe said:

So I have to replace the motherboard due to a component failure. I am thinking I may replace the gpu at the same time for a feeesync gpu. Any reckomendations for a 2k plus AMD under £500?

You are going to throw away a good GTX 1060 because your motherboard needs replacement? I'll take it if you don't want it :P

What I did swap when I replaced the mainboard is the CPU, but I don't know what CPU you have so maybe there's no point in that here.

As I said before, I play on a higher resolution than most. I also play without FreeSync or G-Sync. I do however usually use V-Sync because I like my games pretty and screen tearing is not pretty. V-Sync eats some FPS, but I wouldn't switch my monitor or hardware to gain access to the advantages of a single feature.

When I go graphics card shopping I will usually go for one of the two flagship models because well, I play a whole lot and I like my games pretty. Buying one of the flagship cards also allows you to stay with the same card for a longer time.

I don't want to make any assumptions like @Zeexe, but I'm guessing 2K Arma 3 is a bigger chunk of work for your card?

My saga continues. I removed all but one hard drive, and all other peripherals from the pc, using the motherboard gpu, all but 1  hard drive which has windows 10, loaded the board with default settings, made sure the boot order is cd, usb, hd,  re seated the ram. In the bios I can see the ram, the processor temp is low. I had made a Windows recovery usb when I installed win 10. On boot after post it stops at select f2 or del to enter bios, F8 gets me to the Windows recovery but it won’t read the recovery usb. I formatted a spare hd with a laptop and tried to instal win7, won’t have it. Today I am going to try and install Linux or Ubuntu to eliminate any dodgy windows issue. I don’t have a win 10 disc as I did the upgrade when it was free. 

BTW the processor is i5 quad 6600

I have a gsync monitor/card, realised the other day after a reinstall I wasn't actually utiliising it this time. I have since reenabled it, haven't noticed much of a difference, so honestly don't worry about g/free sync. Get a new card if you want a new card, not for, as ansin said, a gimmicky part of a card/monitor.

Side note I did have the dodgy NVidia driver bug recently. Thye released a driver that would just randomly uninstall, god it was annoying, but installing the old driver worked.

On 5/8/2018 at 7:41 AM, Mad Eye Moody said:

My saga continues. I removed all but one hard drive, and all other peripherals from the pc, using the motherboard gpu, all but 1  hard drive which has windows 10, loaded the board with default settings, made sure the boot order is cd, usb, hd,  re seated the ram. In the bios I can see the ram, the processor temp is low. I had made a Windows recovery usb when I installed win 10. On boot after post it stops at select f2 or del to enter bios, F8 gets me to the Windows recovery but it won’t read the recovery usb. I formatted a spare hd with a laptop and tried to instal win7, won’t have it. Today I am going to try and install Linux or Ubuntu to eliminate any dodgy windows issue. I don’t have a win 10 disc as I did the upgrade when it was free. 

BTW the processor is i5 quad 6600

if you are replacing motherboard it makes sense to go for a cpu upgrade too, you will notice more of a difference in arma especially. 

1 hour ago, Mad Eye Moody said:

Update: Got he old MB working. Dont really know how I just kept doing the same old thing but must have removed a peripheral that was at fault. Doing a full system mirror now. Installing an extra cpu fan just in case.

So basically a big version of turn it off and on again ?

• 6 months later...

are you doing surgery s on that desk?

for a gamer this is disgusting clean :D

When I'm currently lookin on my throne place you can barely find my mouse under all that empty cig packs, ash and whisky (let's pretend it is) stains

kekekeke

+1 for double screens as it is so important to play on 1 and surf po... necessary stuff on the other, right?

• 2 months later...

Is there a point with hardware when Arma 3 runs pretty smoothly? Or is it somewhat limited by the server you're playing on, etc.

I have an i5-2500k, AMD R9 290X (outputting 2560X1080), 8GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD (nearly full, which is bad for speed). I get quite a lot of stuttering, Arma is definitely a game I close background procs for and would never be able to record gameplay. However the rest of the time I am happily above 45fps...

With (hopefully!) impending good finances soon, there is a possibility I will be able to upgrade my rig. But am I looking at a silly sized investment to get smooth gameplay and simultaneous recording?

The FPS you get in a multiplayer setting is largely dependent on the server you're playing on; if it's got lots of players and enemy units on it, you can expect between 15 and 25 fps when things get hairy. Most missions aren't optimized very well and it's the player experience that suffers.  To Bohemia's credit, in their single player missions they use a lot of tricks to keep fps upwards of 60fps, but still give the player the feeling that there is a big war around them, when there really isn't.

If you're getting stuttering, it's definitely sounding like a memory issue.  If your SSD is using a page file and the drive is nearly full, that could go a long way to explaining it; clear up some space and see if that doesn't help.  There are some things you can do to fine-tune your experience in game, the simplest of which is just to lower your view distance and resolution.  But in my experience Arma doesn't suffer from stuttering, the fps experience usually degrades over time as more players and units join a mission.

Looking at prices, a RAM upgrade justifies a CPU upgrade as well. I just wish I'd spent an extra £35 to double my RAM back in 2012 ;) The only snag is the knock-on effect of "new RAM... new CPU... new cooler... new motherboard..."

I shall endure the spikes for now, maybe remain in a more "long range" role like AT or I'll get "into" marksmannery - the spikes are more of an issue in close quarters.