Locking helicopters/ kicking players out of helicopters

Stanhope

Question

So I've been flying a lot on eu1 and eu2 and noticed some things that I think could be solved by adding following features to the helicopters.

First off all a pilot should be capable of locking his helicopter to prevent people from getting in (not out).  

This could be, in my opinion, useful in the following situation:  let's assume that there is only 1 pilot with a available for evac off a finished AO (there are only be 3 online, and the 2 others are fixing a broken chopper e.g.), and there are 24 players at that old AO.  This could be done in 2 runs if the ghosthawk leaves empty, takes 12 guys, drops them at base and does the same again.  But most of the time when you land at base someone gets in and wants to ride along even though the pilot repeatedly tells everyone to get out. This would force the pilot to make a three runs, making people at base wait longer to get transport to the new AO/ side mission.  If the pilot could lock his chopper, he could land at base, everyone would disembark, nobody could get in because he locked his chopper and he could evac the 12 remaining guys.  And people wouldn't have to wait as long.

This brings me to the second feature that, I think, could be useful:  Pilots should be able to kick players out of their choppers.  Of course they should not be capable to do this all the time (e.g. 20m off the ground, traveling 200km/h), but with the proper limitations I think this could make the life of a pilot easier.

As those limitations I would suggest that the heli should have its engine turned off, speed should be 0 and, maybe, the heli should be within a certain range of base.

Implementing these features will make the live off a pilot, in my opinion, easier.  And it could help speed things along, as pilots don't have to ask people to leave the chopper any more (which they don't tend to do in my experience).

Since I have 0 experience with scripting on multiplayer servers I have no idea if this is possible and how it will affect server performance.  But i think it would certainly be useful to have these features.

10 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Stanhope said:

This brings me to the second feature that, I think, could be useful:  Pilots should be able to kick players out of their choppers.  Of course they should not be capable to do this all the time (e.g. 20m off the ground, traveling 200km/h), but with the proper limitations I think this could make the life of a pilot easier.

As those limitations I would suggest that the heli should have its engine turned off, speed should be 0 and, maybe, the heli should be within a certain range of base.

This can bring alot of drama. With creating a solution on one side it can bring problems on the other. It will give the pilots the power to kick whoever they want from their transport for valid reasons but also for things that actually dont matter. 

Theres many ways to fix it, land somewere in base away from a big horde waiting for pickup, drop em off and go pick the rest. Or simply cmmunicate with another pilot to do the pickup.

But thats just how i think about it.

Your first problem can be resolved by path like this: Old AO>RTB>AO>Old AO>RTB. Or land evacuees at basketball court. But this is not good attitude for pilot. You are there to provide support and transportation. Choosing between ppl waiting for evac and ppl at base waiting for transport should not heppen.

Kicking players from helicopters? Why would you need that?

51 minutes ago, PiranhA said:

This can bring alot of drama. With creating a solution on one side it can bring problems on the other. It will give the pilots the power to kick whoever they want from their transport for valid reasons but also for things that actually dont matter. 

My bad, i meant a script that would kick everyone but the pilot from the heli and only at base.  And yes it can be abused, but a lot of things already on the server can be abused already.

55 minutes ago, PiranhA said:

Theres many ways to fix it, land somewere in base away from a big horde waiting for pickup, drop em off and go pick the rest. Or simply cmmunicate with another pilot to do the pickup.

Yes, if there is another pilot I would also prefer that option, but I've noticed that on 'down-hours' there might not be one.  Or all other pilots might be doing something else (e.g. bringing people to new ao, slinging vehicles, repairing damaged helicopters, ...)

52 minutes ago, Cebi said:

Your first problem can be resolved by path like this: Old AO>RTB>AO>Old AO>RTB. Or land evacuees at basketball court. But this is not good attitude for pilot. You are there to provide support and transportation.

Yes you could but people don't like waiting and start whining (not a real problem but it is annoying) or they just respawn.  And yes landing at the basketball court is in my opinion also not a good option,  that's why I suggested a function to lock the heli.

56 minutes ago, Cebi said:

Choosing between ppl waiting for evac and ppl at base waiting for transport should not heppen.

No it should not, but it does unfortunately (e.g. when there aren't a lot of pilots on, when a chopper is damaged out in the field, ...).

57 minutes ago, Cebi said:

Kicking players from helicopters? Why would you need that?

If for example you're in a ghosthawk, neither the new AO or a side mission have spawned yet and there are 12 people waiting at the old AO.   But you have 1 guy in your heli that just won't get out if you ask him, which would mean you would have to leave 1 guy at  the old ao and do a second run.  (still assuming you're the only pilot available).

@Stanhope: Look at the problem from perspective of a guy who jumped in your heli and went for quick loo or get a tea. Or a guy which wants to use your heli to get to new AO and cant understand why he is getting kicked out. You as a pilot have already great responsibility towards your passangers that you will get them to LZ safely. Many times this responsibility is spit on by new and unskilled pilots. Imagine those pilots to have right to kick and lock heli.

Yes, it is always possible someone went afk for a minute, but if the chopper was going to base and he knew it i don't think he would mind being dropped at base without that he himself got out.  

About the new and unskilled pilots, if they use those functions when they are not needed they are a clear indication that he shouldn't be in the pilot slot in the first place.  But yes there is a problem with new and unskilled pilots, and no i don't have the wright/best answer.

From time to time, people lose connection or disconnect while they're in the heli, leaving a dead body in the back. The only way that I know to get that body out is to have it replaced by a live one. If he is in one of the last seats to be taken, however, a pilot is usually carrying a corpse all over the island until he finally gets enough people on board. Since public servers tend to have "personal pilots" (just the other day, we had 13 people online, of which 5 were pilot), that can take a while...

It also keeps saying "Error: No unit" (or something similar) in the passenger list, which can become a minor annoyance after a while.

While I'm not entirely certain kicking out alive players is the way to go, I think it would be useful if you could at least boot out the dead guy. :)

I must agree on the part that it is annoying if someone disconnets for any reason, like connection failure (like me yesterday) or having to Walk the dog, and you are stuck with his Body. Kicking those bodies out isn't only a handy thing for pilots, but for verhicles as well. For example, me and another guy were driving to the New AO in the cheetah, the AA. I was the driver and He the gunner. Everything was Fine until my internet disconnected for some reason. So, He was stuck in the middle of nowhere, having two option. Either waiting for my Body to despawn or having to abandon the asset, which is against the rules I think. 

For pilots, I am not sure if the kicking out feature is a good idea, yea you can get rid of those bodies quickly, but the Chance that it will be abused is there.

Now for the kicking feature I can't speak, since I almost Always fly the huron and lack of space is rare.

Feel free to give me feedback!

@Cryo After you disconect you leave dead body. If you switch seats to position of dead body it will be droped outside of vehicle. In heli i give Error: No Unit guys names and talk to them in czech when nobody alive is on board. When it is time to evac main AO i will usually loose them.

not really ontopic,but its a nice screen showing how low people can go in a MP session :

Spoiler

gumewx2o.jpg

xtdm7f6p.jpg

What´s really noteable is that all my other fellow pilots followed the advice not to fly while a AA battery is up - took around 14min till Air was safe again and only 2 choppers got lost (on base) while it was live.

Be the captain of your ride,no?

11 hours ago, TheScar said:

not really ontopic,but its a nice screen showing how low people can go in a MP session :

Reveal hidden contents

gumewx2o.jpg

xtdm7f6p.jpg

What´s really noteable is that all my other fellow pilots followed the advice not to fly while a AA battery is up - took around 14min till Air was safe again and only 2 choppers got lost (on base) while it was live.

Be the captain of your ride,no?

Couldnt agree more, but unfortunately I can still think of situations where you might have to kick players out of your chopper and/or lock it.