Mk.18 Restricted???

Chavez Menendez

Question

19 answers to this question

I agree. It would be nice to have this available for all classes. Would allow for more flexibility and would just be generally nice to have a marksman like rifle there for anyone.

However i would take the AK-12 over the MK18 any day anyway.

They have two different magazines. The normal one and the "reload" tracer mag. The normal Tracer mag means every bullet is a tracer, but the reload tracer mag means the last couple of bullets is tracers, but the rest aren't.

The Mk14 is a different beast, the Mk18 is effectively a carbine and lacks the range.

I don't see those who can use it taking it over DMR, MXM etc.

As I say, I'm all for role fulfilment but to deny this weapon to soldiers is to make it superflous to the game but to make it more broadly accessible does not detract from the marksman/sniper role (marksmen may not be snipers but if you can access the same gear it makes no difference).

Sorry I'm talking about ARMA and using the names given to the weapons in the game and I don't really care about what they are called in the real world as I only want to play computer games. The Mk14 (in the game) handles differently to the Mk18 and that was the point I was making. I hope this makes my arguments clearer for you.

@Chavez Menendez: So if I am not mistaken, your arguments are that Mk18 lacks range, is effectively carbine and on top of that an assault rifle.

Let's talk ARMA then:

Range: Mk14 and Mk18 ABR shares same ammo class. Mk18 has in config better accuracy than Mk14 --> thus better effective range. Although, I admit that I can hardly perceive this in the game.

Carbine: How did you come to this conclusion? It appears that Mk18 have same barrel length as Mk14.

Assault Rifle: By definition assault rifle use intermediate ammo. 7.62x51 is not intermediate. In ARMA wikia (which I already cited above in spoiler) Mk18 ABR is classified as DMR. In official ARMA 3 material, it is classified as Advanced Battle Rifle which is the evolution of Mk14 and used for ranges from 600m to 800m. That sounds like DMR, does it not?

Now on top of that imagine that somebody does not have DLCs or Expansion . What choice he now has as a Marksman? You guessed it by now I believe. Only Mk18 ABR, MXM and Rahim.

1 hour ago, Cebi said:

@Chavez Menendez: How will be your playstyle different with Mk18? Why do you think it is not good marksmen rifle?

Its a perfectly fine marksman rifle for me. Depends how you use it, and in what situation. It will never really be a CQB rifle, but will allow a marksman to engage from the 200-600m range better than a lot of other weapons will.

I don't find it to be a good marksmen rifle as I don't feel it has the range. I think any rifle should be ok up to 600m.

The way it changes my playstyle is by allowing me to sacrifice very close range ability for medium range stopping power. I would suggest that what you can do with this weapon is dependent on what scope you stick on it, I find an RCO limits your range.