What to look for when it comes to water cooling

Brooksie10

Can someone explain the point of watercooling, though?  I understand the fundamentalism of both water as a great conductor and cooling as a great way to prevent computer explosions, but I don't really get the need of anything better than a sweet-ass fan set up.  Unless you're using a wicked-thin PC, I'm pretty sure a regular fanned PC case should keep your rig cool, unless I'm missing something?  

I'm playing pretty much everything on ultra with my setup, even with overclocks on both the CPU and GPU, just using the stock fans on my case (20cm, are they?).  Given I know you're able to achieve something higher if you can keep it cooler, but I don't really know of any game wanting to use that sorta power.  So aside from 3D rendering software, or using your PC as a server farm or something.

I'm not being a dick, honest :P I would just like to know what there is to gain aside from noise reduction.

For me it's the silence. I've got a Corsair water cooler on my CPU that's silent as anything. If I turn the fans on the front of my machine (the intake fans) off I can't even tell it's running. Seeing as I record music, that's a big thing for me (noise on recordings is a bugger).

In honesty though, and as you've suggested, I don't think there are currently any gaming situations where water cooling is necessary. For hobbyists like myself who like to fiddle, it is helpful (had my 3.3GHz i5 2500k running on 4.4GHz for a while), but no: as far as I'm aware, there's not any games out there at present that require water-cooled components. In fact, I'd be surprised if there ever was (until we start laughing at that old computer we've found in the attic with fans on it).

Seems that things are changing fast anyway; I own a 13" MacBook Pro that, even when it's right on in front of me, I can't hear when it's on. I can smush my head right up against any part and hear absolutely nothing. That ain't watercooling, though; that's solid state drives and asymmetrical fans.

Bottom line: they're quieter and do their job better than fans, but they're not necessary.

For me it's the silence. I've got a Corsair water cooler on my CPU that's silent as anything. If I turn the fans on the front of my machine (the intake fans) off I can't even tell it's running. Seeing as I record music, that's a big thing for me (noise on recordings is a bugger).

Well I currently use a Stock Intel fan on my CPU and it makes the most terrible noise... to not need to worry about that racket would be nice I don't mind the Front 200mm fan or the rear 120mm so much and I am thinking about upgrading to a Larger fan on the top.  The thing is all my Fans are motherboard controlled and spin up faster dependent on the CPU and Core temperature if I can keep the CPU temp down then the other fans will also remain quieter.

I just wanted to know if there was anything worth noting before I make a purchase I.E. Whats a good one? :P

I've been using an Intel Certified cooler modded from one of Corsairs, I can't remember exactly what corsair model it is they have modified but it's excellent, most likely a h60 or h80. The temperatures for my 3930k @ 4.0Ghz are around the mid 30's to 40 depending on the time my pc has been on, used for etc. 

I have 8 Corsair SP120 fans In my case 2 of which are acting as a push/pull for my CPU cooler. All in all it's around 30db so quieter than a whisper, unless I'm purposely listening for the fan noise with no other noise about it's dead silent and the smallest amount of background noise is enough to drown it out (The tapping of my keyboards switches for instance :P). The Noctua fans that Ferg recommended are also very good, just make sure when searching for fans you find some that are 30db or less, otherwise they will be noisy as hell. down volting fans can be great for noise reduction as well if you know your system isn't going to overheat at lower RPM's.

And on another note.

It's impressive how much of a discount you get on the technology if you build your computer yourself and don't buy from Alienware. :D

^ So true this!!

@Kyrie, you know my case has a massive Vent at the top what kinda fan would go on there?  and did we see any mounting points for water cooling when we looked at my case?

Your Corsair SP120 fans look Nice I may get some for the Case door (which I am guessing is going to be a Push air out fan and one to replace the stock fan at the rear which I imagine will be 120mm

for top exhaust vents pushing air out of your case I would highly recommend corsair AF120 (or 140 depending on the size of the fittings) these are high airflow fans that have been designed as exhaust fans they move large quantities of air through loose spaces, such as the vent holes at the top of your case.

the SP series are designed to push air through tight spaces such as the water block of a CPU water cooler or on the front of your case pushing the air through your HDD bay. 

on 100% of the cases that I've worked with they've always had 120mm rear exhaust fans, top exhausts can vary although often have variable fittings.