Reinstate rappelling from choppers.

Question

I have noticed this sometime ago i don't know why it was disabled. But i think it should be re-enabled i have not seen any problems considering it and it's an awesome function. Especially for Tanoa it can be used amazingly well, letting people rappel  down above the trees of the jungles.

@David

You know something about this? Also @Luetin what do think about this?

11 answers to this question

nononononoonononononnono nope. nope nope. If its the ropes i'm thinking of, nope nope.

We had it and it was the worse. The times of screaming "Deploy ropes" and the new guy deploys them, killing everyone in the chopper.

Granted it was pretty awesome when it work, but people used it unnecessary when they could have just landed.

Going with a nope for me, due to the amount of helicopters that would be lost to ropes.

If i'm 100% correct that bug has been fixed months ago i used the ropes on eu2 a few  months ago and there was no problem at all.

It was a bug that has been fixed. so why take out an entire mechanic when it can be used to it's potential and increase the game play experience?

Still it would be a over used feature, Using the fast ropes takes too long, so its better to land most of the time.

It would mostly cause more deaths and silly plans which shouldn't need you to fast rope in, but have you fast rope in just because they can fast rope in.

Been there, done that. And its makes it all less fun when sht does hit the fan due to people can't get off the chopper fast enough before getting shot out of the air.

If people do want to test it out again then i don't really care, but it would just be a over used feature if it did work even.

Guest Luetin

If it works then yeah I would say trial it at the least, I mean if this works it would be ideal for EU4

Last time this was tested out, I beleive only two people could do it at a time and you would have to have a lot of coordination because if people tried to fast rope while people were using it, they would just eject and kill themselves (which honestly could technically work, have two medics fast rope, everyone else eject, then medics patch everyone up ;) ).

It is a good idea in theory, but with how arma physics work and how unpredictable they can be, it's not going to be the best of ideas... @Bloo Flar3 I have seen videos of what you mean and also agree with what you say about landing and fast roping. If you're coming under heavy fire, just land. It's quicker for everyone to bail rather than a fast roping system where only a very few number of people can use it. Sure it looks cool, but the only people who care about looks would be video makers and live streamers, hence why @Luetin would be very interested.

All in all, it's a good idea on paper@D.v.Brandenburg, but for what's available out there in the mods section for arma 3 and what's been tested and what's practical to currently use, someone would have to refine one of these plugins for proper use, and I think our good friend amd core staff member @BACONMOP deserves a break after all of those changes he made for making EU 4 glorious ^=^

Sent from my phone at me beach overlooking the ocean.

I think that this could be a very cool feature that, when done well, could be a better way of getting into the battles on Tanoa. I say this because landing has the limitation of needing an open area to land. Wheras with this you could potentially disembark closer to the AO. But thats just my opinion. :)

To be fair to the concept of fast roping, it's not something you would use if you were in a position to land at all.

It does enable you to insert infantry into heavily wooded areas and urban areas that do not permit a safe landing, a feature with the potential to drastically change your choices of "LZs". On Tanoa especially, with the dense jungle situation, it seems like something that would be worth testing, if not on #2, then possibly on #4.

That said, I agree that on #2 it will likely be used in situations where it isn't a sensible option, because "it's a cool feature."

Is also usefull for inserting troops on high inclination slopes (>45degree).

On Tanoa, junge canopy has physical branches and inserting troops could get them cought in trees high above ground. <-- this would need further testing. Altough jungle has plenty of small clearings and rock formations which protrude from canopy and would be ideal for rope insertions.