Medevac serious wounded instead of healing in field

Owner

Question

Just a thought I've had about Medics role and serious wounded in the field. I was wondering about what others thoughts on having to medevac serious wounded from the battlefield back to base in order to be revived. I think it would maybe increase team play instead of every man for themselves, also might keep players from running into the battlefield blindly, getting shot and waiting for a revive. I know it would keep the pilots busy but it would add a bit of more realism to the game. Love to hear some feedback, positive and negatives of the idea are welcome. Sorry if this was disscussed before.

21 answers to this question

It's a really good idea for small number game nights..
But on the Public server it's a lot of hassle for people who might only have 30mins for a quick AO or Side Mission.

In a big public server, having to take people back to base and then all the way back to the AO is a lot of game time lost, and it can cause some players to abandon the server because the pacing becomes too slow.

Thanks for the reply. Maybe someone can use the idea for a Zues mission or whatnot. Another thought of having a Triage setup closer to the main or side missions, since going back to base would not be the best idea. Just had to get the idea out there.

I'm not sure what exactly you're suggesting, but if you mean removing the medic's ability to revive people then I don't think it will work well at all.

Like Sniper said, most people don't have the patience for that, hell people are already respawning when a medic IS available, I can't see people waiting around when there isn't.

I would add that medevacs are fun when it's a rush against time to get somebody back to base before they die, but it's a level of roleplaying that most people just aren't interested in.

It wouldnt be that they can't revive, but the down soldier would have to be evacuated to a triage point to be revived. The medics can still treat wounds during gunfights. Just a thought on making it more realistic. Maybe have a HEMTT set up close by and have that as a place where players need to be brought to be revived. 

J pretty much nailed it ...

Also,such an effort does minimize soldier count on AO or side actions which equals to weaken your forces even more.

Last year,when doing side missions with Pepper and one of us got shot and we called for MedEvacs or Medical Assistence its mostly a gamble to get some pilot/medic engaged and head over to your position in time before the Revive Script kicks in,i can recall min. 2 occasions where the Medic reached me on the last sec or mostly to late to rate this effort.

Just try it yourself,then report back here and share your experience ...

:blink:

Guest Luetin

I think this is a good concept but I think it would work best on something like EU4 not necessarily the main public servers which are more entry level, I think people would probably just respawn than wait for medevac.

It's a very good idea in my opinion, it would increase the realism of I&A and make it more punishing for the players who just wanna run and gun thinking they are playing COD. problem is that people might just respawn instead of waiting for medevac which kinda brakes the hole idea, so it's better to actually remove the respawn option entirely ... yeah it will be more punishing but it will make the experience more realistic and thematic.  

My two cents.

I remember a few weeks ago on EU2, we were engaged and I got shot. The guys I was running with dragged/carried me away from danger and called someone to fly in and extract me. While we waited for transport, they appeared to be covering my unconscious body while fighting off the hostiles for quite a while. Not that I have a lot in my limited time here, but that was definitely one of the greatest moments I've experienced on AW servers.

But that was probably a one-in-a-million thing and in the end, I still died... The problems I saw at that moment:

1) Even if med/casevac is called in immediately, it takes a while for the extraction party to arrive. Depending on distance to base, threat in AO etc., help may still come too late. Especially if you also need to return to base within the (current) bleed-out period before you can get healed.

1 Bis) The situation above was one in which we were constantly and properly cooperating. On EU2 and most likely all public servers, I find those moments to be rare, and you often find yourself either lone-wolfing it, or creating a "team of the moment" consisting of the guys that just happen to be standing around you for the next 5 or 10 minutes... In that isolated environment, even utilising in-game chat and TS, it can take a (very) long time before anyone diverts from his own mission/objective to help another guy. (as I've experienced when I accidentally hit a tree with a GH, destroying the main rotor, and found myself stuck on an island for 30+ minutes)

2) At the moment of said situation, it appeared to be impossible to put a casualty in the back of a vehicle, and as the VTOL coming in didn't have a medic on board, they had to leave me behind. So either (1) you need a medic onboard of the med/casevac all the time (which would be realistic, but dedicating one of the medics to med/casevac duty drags him away from healing guys in the battlefield. In its current form, it also makes the extraction pointless - except for immersion's sake - as he could just revive you on the spot), or (2) you need to add a way to place/remove an immobile unit in/from the passenger seat.

7 hours ago, Eagle-Eye said:

My two cents.

I remember a few weeks ago on EU2, we were engaged and I got shot. The guys I was running with dragged/carried me away from danger and called someone to fly in and extract me. While we waited for transport, they appeared to be covering my unconscious body while fighting off the hostiles for quite a while. Not that I have a lot in my limited time here, but that was definitely one of the greatest moments I've experienced on AW servers.

But that was probably a one-in-a-million thing and in the end, I still died... The problems I saw at that moment:

Was it you that Postcode and I drove all the way back to base in the Strider the other day, or was that a different Eagle??

I'd also like to see some other mechanic in place than the current respawn. I really like to play medic and tried to set up a forward field post on EU#1 a couple of times. Noone would evac to that point though even if it was danger close, they will just respawn.

But even if someone dies just 200m from you and you start advancing with one or two guys into the direction of the fallen, he will respawn more often than not if you do not reach him within 30s.

I find that really irritating and I rather play Eu#3 now for that very reason. It feels less of a zerg rush.

Now I really have not found a workable suggestion, but this very thing spins around in my head since I started playing I&A (or ArmA which is the same for me) 3 weeks ago.

To the original idea, that's not going to happen. Many people use our mission and if we push out an update that makes it much more hassle for them to play they just won't use it and we end up with an empty server. Winrar licensing strategy anyone?