VTOL Suggestion

JuX

Question

Since apex content has become available on beta build. I have done test piloting with new VTOL vehicles. They are great in most aspects and can see potential uses for them, but sadly them being DLC may hold them back a bit from taking over key roles on servers.

The CSAT Y-32 Xi'an VTOL vehicle would be great for combining CAS and transportation together in to singular package, with its outstanding speed and mobility. It can as well rotate while stationary, which would be great use in modded aspect if there is stable enough carrier mod. Id also recommend removing the ATGM's from it, as it would be a bit overpowered.

The NATO V-44X Blackfish VTOL vehicle is high capacity and looks good, but it is very hard to maneuver and just slow to mobilize. Pending how the vehicle transportation on VTOLs will be implemented, it could be potential candidate for getting vehicles to the front, thou Xi'an has similar variant, but its considerably smaller in scale. It is also capable of turning while stationary, but there is small margin of error and require a bit effort, unlike the Xi'an.

It also has the fire support variant, that makes the Blackfish literally a AC-130 gunship. This would be interesting addition to combat support for Platoon command (on occasion), as it has 4 seats on it for pilot, co-pilot and 2x gunners. Its weapons determine it always has to have left side facing towards the AO in order to serve its function. This could be used as command vehicle to observe and command the platoon, as well the occasional fire support. Afterall it's altitude should negate terrain interference on radios. 

Once DLC officially comes out, would like to see VTOL vehicles in action. Also the fact these aren't mods is a bonus for stability.

(You can play the Apex DLC content by enabling sneakpreview beta version on steam, but probably require ownership of said DLC)

14 answers to this question

I have tried them out also and they are exactly as how you have described them. Personally I believe that some variants of the new VTOLs could be easily integrated into the normal VORTEX rooster of aircraft however the "AC-130" blackfish (NATO VTOL) could perhaps become an award for side missions if it was implemented into AHOY 1 and 2. I agree that the ATGMs on the Xi'an aircraft (CSAT VTOL) would be a bit overpowered but what about the rocket pods aswell, wouldn't that also be considered a bit OP? 

Once again, the CSAT variant is superior, I've never seen THAT before!

However, I think we could use the Blackfish as a standard part of Ahoyworld for variety and an additional vehicle for towing capability (Huron + Blackfish = multiple tows to be happening at once!) while the CSAT variant should be a mission reward because let's face it, that thing is down right sexy...Seriously I'd go pilot full time if I could just fly that thing around, it's almost as mobile as my lil bird <3

Y-32 is indeed the beast. It is currently armed to the teeth (kajman level armament) and has TWR > 1. Acceleration is ridiculous on this thing. Buzzard is a snail compared to this. I hope they will reduce some thrust latter.

V-44X is my new favourite bird (sorry Huron). It requires more skill to use and feeling from piloting such enormous thing is great (also cabin is spacious). Will try to time how fast can I be from lift off to landing on 10 km flight. 

Also, vehicle loading works pretty well. I expected some animation, but I am surprisingly fine with vehicle "teleporting" which will work every time and won't glitch/desync you to death.

@P057code: Great info. I might add comment from dev Oukej: "Flaps do not govern the nacelle or nozzle angles directly. They affect lift/drag and that in turn affects the automatic vectoring. Once you engage "autohover" the vectoring will always be 90deg."

3 minutes ago, Cebi said:

Also, vehicle loading works pretty well. I expected some animation, but I am surprisingly fine with vehicle "teleporting" which will work every time and won't glitch/desync you to death.

@P057code: Great info. I might add comment from dev Oukej: "Flaps do not govern the nacelle or nozzle angles directly. They affect lift/drag and that in turn affects the automatic vectoring. Once you engage "autohover" the vectoring will always be 90deg."

Yeah, its something I noticed with a little messing about, normally using the flaps to transition to the autohover/VTOL.

I have just done some flight tests.

Distance: 12 km (I&A base LZ - Forest LZ south of Molos)

Time was measured after completing whole route (24km) and full landing was achieved on both LZs. I started stopwatch with spooled rotors.

GhostHawk: 6:11

Huron: 6:02

V-22X: 5:05

Y-32: 4:13 (!!!)

V-22X performed as expected. I need to train my aproaches and methods of bleeding speed. Top speed was around 480 kph on route (so 200kph more then helicopters).

Y-32 is absolutely bonkers. It is manueverable and top speed during runs touched 680 kph. I hope they will at least reduce thrust of this bird becouse accelaration is on neophron level (!).

9 hours ago, Cebi said:

How do you actually do the vehicle loading? I've tried to spawn the vehicle inside the aircraft but that ends with some fireworks as you would imagine.

1 hour ago, Primordial said:

How do you actually do the vehicle loading? I've tried to spawn the vehicle inside the aircraft but that ends with some fireworks as you would imagine.

Drive up to the back in your vehicle, and use the scroll menu.

My first crash with people on board is behind me (32 dead :/).

Note to self:

1. Do not try to fly V-22X when there is AA battery. Trying to stay under 25m with such huge bird requires more flight hours.

2. Back to the editor to train some more!

Y-32 is all around better VTOL, but for me, nothing beats that feeling of flying Tiltrotor bigger than a house. 

12 minutes ago, Cebi said:

Note to self:

1. Do not try to fly V-22X when there is AA battery. Trying to stay under 25m with such huge bird requires more flight hours.

Y-32 is all around better VTOL, but for me, nothing beats that feeling of flying Tiltrotor bigger than a house. 

Yeah, theres something about a tiltrotor.. :D

On 16/06/2016 at 6:18 AM, Cebi said:

Note to self:

I actually made like 20 of each of the new VTOLs (AI) battle the other type in a big air battle. Surprisingly the V-22X won by a large margin.

1 hour ago, Primordial said:

I actually made like 20 of each of the new VTOLs (AI) battle the other type in a big air battle. Surprisingly the V-22X won by a large margin.

This doesn't prove anything.